Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is there an upload file size limit?

jmel
Aspirant

Is there an upload file size limit?

As subject states. When uploading via the readycloud.netgear.com page, large uploads work fine. When uploading via readycloud when remote, uploads fail.

There is no detailed error, just failed to upload.

I suspect there is a limit, but the engineers decided to keep us in the dark as to what that is. It's hardly a good solution for backup and sharing remotely if there are arbitrary limits that are not documented, nor are they spelled out in an error message.

What is the upload limit, and why?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 15
jmel
Aspirant

Re: Is there an upload file size limit?

Specifically, a file around 3 gigs fails. Another file around 6 gigs fails.

Smaller files around 1.7 gigs have uploaded just fine.

Message 2 of 15
jmel
Aspirant

Anyone????

Message 3 of 15
aks-2
Apprentice

@jmel wrote:

When uploading via readycloud when remote, uploads fail.

Just to be clear - uploading through web browser via readycloud.netgear.com when outside the NAS network is failing?

How are you connected, what browser, what OS?

Message 4 of 15
jmel
Aspirant

Yes, outside network, through the web interface. Any browser. Windows 10. Also, tried on android, same thing.

Seems to be a portal issue. If someone said "I've uploaded 5 gigs that way, no problem", at least I'd feel more confident it was a local issue, but I don't think it is.

Message 5 of 15
aks-2
Apprentice

I can try in a few days - I need to go remote and get wifi (I should be able to try Sunday).

Now I am curious to know if ReadyCLOUD is used only to initiate the connection to the NAS, or if all data also travels via the ReadyCLOUD portal?

Message 6 of 15
jmel
Aspirant

I've not done any sort of capture, but I do think it's a bit weird to even have such a limit. I am able to use VPN and get around this, but it's not ideal when sharing to others and they need to upload a large file.

Message 7 of 15
aks-2
Apprentice

Again, for clarity, this is upload from a PC to the NAS fails, does download from NAS back to PC fail also?

Message 8 of 15
jmel
Aspirant

I will test download from NAS to PC, but upload was where the problem was found. But yes, this was upload from PC to NAS.

Message 9 of 15
jmel
Aspirant

Download works fine.

Message 10 of 15
aks-2
Apprentice

Seems strange to have a limit one way but not the other.

I just had a remote user upload ~5GB but in a few hundred files, and that appears to work well. I realise you have a single large file failing, which I'll try out at the weekend as mentioned.

Message 11 of 15
jmel
Aspirant

Thanks for the assist. Yeah, it's only with large files, and the message is immediate. So it seems that the portal just doesn't want to allow it. I'll check back this weekend unless someone from Netgear can chime in as to why this is happening.

Message 12 of 15
aks-2
Apprentice

Uploaded a 1GB file in ~20min, absolutely fine.

However, a 4.57GB file failed 7 times, every time at ~580MB, so I started again and watched exactly what was going at the browser - there were two attempts at uploading:

• 583.98MB of 4.57GB 10m55 remaining 1h16m30s RESTARTED from zero
  • 584.50MB of 4.57GB 22m22 (timer continued) - failed

Therefore, like you, I have not been successful uploadting a >4GB file!

Message 13 of 15
jmel
Aspirant

Interesting, because my large files will fail instantly with an error...
Message 14 of 15
aks-2
Apprentice

So here's something very weird about the failed uploads: the partial uploads failed at the same point (I just compared them locally).

In addition, the exact same files uploaded via web browser/ReadyCLOUD with the NAS on the same local network uploaded ok, obviously this was a direct connection as the 4.7GB upload via a wired connection took ~45 seconds.

I checked readycloud.log and did not observe any entries for the times of transmission failures from earlier in the day.

In my case is it possible that a transmission error caused the failure/restart, and a second error causes the upload to abort?

We probably need an expert, or someone with knowledge of the implementation, to share possible thoughts/solutions.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements