Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Link user and ready cloud user accounts

MarkCarra
Aspirant

Link user and ready cloud user accounts

Hi,

I have just purchased the RN212 and am intending to use it for several users with different folder and sub-folder accesses. I have created the users and now want to use Readycloud to allow them remote access. 

Is there a way of linking user and cloud user accounts?

I have set up Readycloud accounts, but can't see a way of linking them to their normal user accounts to give them the correct folder accesses.

The other issue with this is that when a cloud user is added, they get their own home share folder automatically created. But the user already has a home share, so what they see remotely won't correspond to what they see when connected to the home router.

Or is it better to go through one of the other apps in the available apps list - VPN server

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Link user and ready cloud user accounts

AFAIK there is no way to link a local account and a ReadyCloud account.  An obvious flaw that Netgear has never fixed.

As far as access goes, I don't recommend managing file access at the subfolder level.  It generally works out better if you manage access at the share level, using the network access tabs (as opposed to the file access tab).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

AFAIK there is no way to link a local account and a ReadyCloud account.  An obvious flaw that Netgear has never fixed.

As far as access goes, I don't recommend managing file access at the subfolder level.  It generally works out better if you manage access at the share level, using the network access tabs (as opposed to the file access tab).

Message 2 of 9
MarkCarra
Aspirant

Thanks! Wow that is a pretty annoying flaw.

Ok so basically the trick is to have a user and cloud user account for each person. Keep network access to the top level and as basic as possible, so that its simple to grant access - possibly through user groups.

Message 3 of 9
MarkCarra
Aspirant

It also looks like you cant add cloud users to groups. V annoying!

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@MarkCarra wrote:

It also looks like you cant add cloud users to groups. V annoying!

I agree.  If you use ReadyCloud then you should be able to simply enable one or more local accounts for ReadyCloud access and be done with it.  You would still need ReadyCloud-only accounts for people you are sharing with.

Message 5 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Very annoying, indead; especially when they once had a solution for all this called "ReadyNAS Remote".  I don't believe that the developers who chose this new process have any idea how the users actually use their NASes.  They seem to think that we want all access to be via "the cloud", even when the device is in the same room.

Adding ReadyCloud, for those who want such a thing, was OK.  But removing ReadyNAS Remote was, IMHO, a very big mistake.  It's one of the reasons I have not updated beyond 6.4.2.

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

But removing ReadyNAS Remote was, IMHO, a very big mistake.  It's one of the reasons I have not updated beyond 6.4.2.

OpenVPN is another option - and frankly I like it better than Remote.  It gives me full access to my home network when I'm away.  The traffic doesn't route through a cloud server (unlike Remote).

Message 7 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, I have been looking ino that for a bit, but many will be hesatant to set that up on their own.  And unless one runs the server on the NAS to a capable router, then it entails having a gateway machine also on all the time.  I'm looking at whether I want to use a RasPi for that or go with a DD-WRT router, but again, beyond what many can/will do.

Did all the ReadyNAS remote traffic really route through the Netgear server?  I figured it just negotiated the connection.  If it did route all traffic, I can see why they did away with it.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Did all the ReadyNAS remote traffic really route through the Netgear server?  I figured it just negotiated the connection.  If it did route all traffic, I can see why they did away with it.

If both the NAS and the client are behind different NAT routers (which is usually the case), then the traffic has to route through the Netgear server. That's also true with ReadyCloud.  It's the price you pay to not use port forwarding (inbound connections are blocked for both devices, so the client and server can't connect directly to each other).

@Sandshark wrote:

Yes, I have been looking ino that for a bit, but many will be hesatant to set that up on their own.

My R8500 (like all Nighthawk routers) has OpenVPN built in.  That makes it fairly straightforward to set up, and also doesn't require port forwarding.

Netgear could do something similar with a ReadyNAS app. If you put the VPN termination behind the router, you would need to forward two ports - one for tap, the other for tun. 

I agree it'd be tricky to set up from scratch.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements