Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My Windows 10 PC not seen by ReadyNAS

KenHanson
Aspirant

My Windows 10 PC not seen by ReadyNAS

My Windows 10 PC is not discoverable by my ReadyNAS backup device but can be seen by another Windows 10 on the same local network. Perhaps a related issue is that when creating a backup, the ReadyNAS app can connect to my PC if I specify its IP address, but not if I specify its hostname, e.g. KMH810, in which case Test Connection returns "Error is connecting to folder" Code: 7077010020. Of course, since the PC IP address is dynamically allocated by my router, and hence not fixed, it is preferable for Ready NAS to use the hostname rather than the IP address.

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: My Windows 10 PC not seen by ReadyNAS

Most routers support address reservation - which would result in your NAS getting a consistent IP address.  I'd do that first.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Most routers support address reservation - which would result in your NAS getting a consistent IP address.  I'd do that first.

Message 2 of 7
KenHanson
Aspirant

OK, I have done that. However, I was hoping to use the hostname explicitly, which would be a more general and elegant solution. 

Model: RN214D41|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay
Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

A correctly configured Windows 10 system should be able to discover a current ReadyNAS Build using WSD (WS Discovery), and do the name resolution.

Some legacy NAS - what doesn't apply to the decent ReadyNAS OS 6 systems - require the CIFS/SMB 1.0 Feature (at least client, sometimes also server) enabled, the Windows 10 system is supposed to discover and resolve the name to IP address.

Is Network Discovery enabled in your Win 10 Network settings? If a Win 10 system is dynamically configure to a public network, none of this might work Changing happens by entering \\[NAS-LAN-IP-address] - Windows would challenge you to change the mode.

Message 4 of 7
KenHanson
Aspirant

Actually, my problem is reversed: ReadyNAS can not discover the Windows 10 PC. To answer your questions though, in Win10 SMB 1.0 is turned on and discovery is turned on; on Win10 view of the network, both the PC and the ReadyNAS can be seen.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@KenHanson wrote:

OK, I have done that. However, I was hoping to use the hostname explicitly, which would be a more general and elegant solution. 

Understood.  Unfortunately I've found that using IP addresses in ReadyNAS backup jobs is more reliable - even when I'm backing up from another ReadyNAS.

My own approach for PC backup is to run backup software on the PCs that use a network share as the backup destination.  Currently I use Acronis TrueImage for this.  I like that better for two reasons

• There are no issues with the PC being turned off when the backup runs
  • Image backups let me restore the full PC when the PC disk fails, ReadyNAS backup jobs don't.
Message 6 of 7
KenHanson
Aspirant

StephenB - thanks for taking the time to provide your insight. I understand your point of view; having something that works is better than not. Years ago I tried Acronis TrueImage. It worked OK but I disliked the fact that I could only read the backed-up files using their software. So, I opted for backing up with SyncToy to a large external drive until I recently decided it would be safer and "easier" to use an NAS. So far ReadyNAS has worked fine except for the concern expressed in my original post.

Thanks again for pushing me toward the obvious solution.

Model: RN214D41|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements