Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAS Rn104 Warning Volume media capacity 30% to 5% & System volume root's usage

Mike101
Tutor

NAS Rn104 Warning Volume media capacity 30% to 5% & System volume root's usage

Hi

NAS has been offline for many weeks but I could access using local computer and IP address 192.168.... I had tried logging off, Exiting, clearing browser history and rebooting, some variants of which had resolved the Offline problems in the past.

My NAS has often been showing "offline" both to local computer and remote computer. sometimes it seemed to resolve by itself.

Away on holiday, NAS returned to the following messages

18 Apr 2017 11:27:22 Less than 30% of volume media's capacity is free. NETGEAR recommends that you add capacity to maintain current performance levels. Continuous protection snapshots will be deleted when volume free space is less than 5%.

18 Apr 2017 11:59:43 Less than 20% of volume media's capacity is free. Performance on volume media will degrade if additional capacity is consumed. NETGEAR recommends that you add capacity to avoid performance degradation.

Tue, 18 Apr 2017 12:27:00 Less than 10% of volume media's capacity is free. Performance on volume media is degraded. To improve performance, you must add capacity.

18 Apr 2017 12:46:48 Less than 5% of volume media's capacity is free. Performance on volume media is degraded. To improve performance, you must add capacity.

21 Apr 2017 20:18:57 System volume root's usage is 82%. This condition should not occur in normal conditions. Contact technical support.

I then couldn't access NAS via IP address (still showing offline)

So I then Shut down NAS by pressing power button repeatedly until LED display reported shutting down. (Whilst doing this LED reported free space something like 98%) Took hours to actually shut down and power off.

NSA has 2x 1TB Drives installed with less than 5% space used last time I checked

Software version last updated sometime last year, cant remember which version.

So within 1.5 hours volume media capacity went form less then 30% to less than 5%

What's going on?

I haven't had time to reboot nor do I want to until i have some idea of what to do.

Kind regards

Mike

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
bedlam1
Prodigy

Re: NAS Rn104 Warning Volume media capacity 30% to 5% & System volume root's usage

Do you have Anti Virus enabled?

If so disable it as there are bugs with the firmware, then reboot and see what happens.

Then also consider updating your firmware 

Message 2 of 5
Mike101
Tutor

Thank you. I have disabled the Anti Virus as suggested. I will see if I get any further warnings.

Am I right to presume whatever was filling up will be deleted or overwritten or was this falsely reported due to the Anti Virus software bugs?

I have not seen any media capacity indicators nor anything to identify the system volume of the roots usage. Also the log files for warnings and errors just show the messages as reported.

Will NAS users be notified when the Anti Virus can be turned back on?

(Incidentally my firmware was up to date Ver 6.6.1)

Message 3 of 5
bedlam1
Prodigy

If you are happy using Beta software this version appears to fix the Anti-Virus issue https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/ReadyNASOS-6-7-1-T252-Beta-2/m-p/1266584#U126...

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@bedlam1 wrote:

If you are happy using Beta software this version appears to fix the Anti-Virus issue https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/ReadyNASOS-6-7-1-T252-Beta-2/m-p/1266584#U126...

The fix for Anti-Virus was in 6.6.1 (which the OP is already running).

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements