Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NO IDEA WHAT IS HAPPENING

ADRAM
Aspirant

NO IDEA WHAT IS HAPPENING

DRIVE FAILED, NO IDEA HOW BUT IT DID. i SEE NO WAY OF DOING ANYTHING IN THE READY NAS. THE DISK IS LITERALLY BRAND NEW WITH ZERO INFORMATION ON IT. i UNPLUGGED IT AND PLUGGED IN AND NOTHING BUT ERROR MESSAGES OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

Message 1 of 12
ADRAM
Aspirant

Re: NO IDEA WHAT IS HAPPENING

HOW CAN THE DRIVE BE CORRUPTED WITH NO DATA, NEVER BEEN USED AND IT IS BRAND NEW

Message 2 of 12
ADRAM
Aspirant

Yup the readynas broke. Nothing wrong with the drive and no support either. **bleep**ing useless company

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@ADRAM wrote:

Yup the readynas broke. Nothing wrong with the drive and no support either. **bleep**ing useless company

You are posting in a user-to-user forum, not accessing Netgear support.  If you purchased a new ReadyNAS, you are entitled to installation phone support - you can take advantage of that using support.netgear.com.

If you are seeking help/advice from other users, then you will need to tell use more specifically what has happened -

• What ReadyNAS model
  • What disks
  • Specific details on what exactly when wrong.

Keep in mind that we don't work for Netgear, and aren't responsible for whatever happened.

Message 4 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Did you test the drive elsewhere?  DoA drives do happen.  On the other hand, if you purchased the unit used and this is your first time using it, how do you know it was working when purchased?

Message 5 of 12
ADRAM
Aspirant

Brand new unit. There is no support. No idea why you think so. Nothing wrong with the disk. The unit was having a meltdown. Took the drive out, put in windows, formatted it and xfer data back n forth, works, did a surface test, fine.

It was the unit
Message 6 of 12
ADRAM
Aspirant

Look
Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@ADRAM wrote:
Look

That certainly looks like an unhealthy disk. If you can exchange the drive with the seller, I would just do that.

You could also test it in a Windows PC using Seatools.  https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/  Run the full (extended) diagnostic.  If that passes, I would follow up with the erase disk/zero disk test.

Though  would just exchange it, and test the replacement.

Note that this particular error (uncorrectable error count) is coming from the drive itself - the NAS is just reporting it on behalf of the drive.

Message 8 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Agreed.  This is clearly a case of (1) a disk that arrived from the retailer (and likely from the manufacturer) as defective and (2) a user who needs to calm down and stop making assumptions.  The only SMART error that can be erroneously attributed to the drive when it's actually the using device is an ATA error, which is not the case here.  Bad sectors can be caused by poor handling, though it's rare, so it may have left the retailer or fine and been damaged in shipment.

You may need to run Seatools to get an error code so Seagate will give you an RMA.  But since you may get a refurbished replacement from Seagate, you are better off getting the retailer to replace it.

Message 9 of 12
NAS2304isbad
Aspirant

really? I have now thrown 7 HDD utilities including seatools at this, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE DISK. The netgear NAS went mental.

Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@NAS2304isbad wrote:

really? I have now thrown 7 HDD utilities including seatools at this,

Did you run both the extended (read) test and the full erase disk test in seatools?

I have had several disks pass the read test, but fail the write test (and vice versa).  Your errors appear to on writes, not reads.

@NAS2304isbad wrote:

The netgear NAS went mental.

You could try moving the disk to a different slot, and then see if the problem moves with the disk (or not).

Message 11 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Are you saying that the tools you are using don't show the SMART errors that the NAS is reporting?

Is this a new NAS, one you have been using for some time, or one you recently purchased used?

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements