Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No volumes or USB disks error message on readycloud

morme
Aspirant

No volumes or USB disks error message on readycloud

Hello and thank you for any help in advance!

I purchased my ready nas several years ago and have not really used it other than for local storage, but I want to now use it as a cloud based storage system to back my photos up to and still have access to them remotely.  I updated the ReadyNAS to the latest firmware yesterday and set up readycloud (linked to my netgear account and cloud switch turned to "on" in admin page), however although the mobile app, webpage and desktop app all show the nas linked to my account, none can access it.  The moble app shows a blank page when entering the selecting the nas, the webpage says (No volumes or USB disks) and the desktop app says its offline.  When on my home network I can see the nas and interact with the admin page without a problem.

Can anyone advise how to fix this issue?  I'm not that knowledgable in this area so please explain things in simple terms for me!  Thank you.

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 20
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @morme

Welcome to the Community!

Have you checked the Cloud Tab and see if Services and Internet has green check marks?

Also, try adding a DNS server on your Network Adapter settings under the Network tab.

Add 8.8.8.8 and your router address.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 20
morme
Aspirant

Hi @Marc_V,

Thank you for coming back to me.  I definetly have the green check marks for Services and Internet showing the cloud tab.  If I access the nas through my laptop on the LAN I can view all the files/folder, and also locally over wifi I can view the files (photos etc) on my TV so it could be that it's an issue getting past the router or maybe more specifically a readycloud issue since I cant access that even on my own network (webpage, pc app or iphone app).

I dont know a lot about this stuff so I'll have a look at the DNS server and add the address you mentioned when I get home later and hopefully that will make sense to me when I have the screen in front of me.

Message 3 of 20
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @morme

Just go to the Network tab and click on the Gear icon to access settings for your NIC

Hope this helps!

Message 4 of 20
morme
Aspirant

Hi @Marc_V,

Thank you for your suggestion, I have added 8.8.8.8 as a DNS server (the router was already in as 192.168.1.1), but no change in behaviour.  I added it in both IPv4 and IPv6, (IPv4 shows both DNS servers twice after doing that).

Do you have anything further that I can try or any other info I can send you to confirm current settings?

Message 5 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@morme wrote:

I added it in both IPv4 and IPv6.

Try disabling ipv6.

Message 6 of 20
morme
Aspirant

Hi @StephenB, after reading advice in other posts describing similar issues I had ipv6 disabled when I tried @Marc_V's suggestion at first.  It didn't work, so it was at that point I re-enabled ipv6 and added the DNS to that also.  Neither condition worked unfortunately.

Message 7 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@morme wrote:

Hi @StephenB, after reading advice in other posts describing similar issues I had ipv6 disabled when I tried @Marc_V's suggestion at first.  It didn't work, so it was at that point I re-enabled ipv6 and added the DNS to that also.  Neither condition worked unfortunately.

Ok.  I suggest disabling ipv6 again, since it doesn't solve the problem, and it can create other issues.

Message 8 of 20
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @morme

Have you tried toggling the ReadyCloud service or Rebooting the NAS?

If you have any security software installed try disabling them as well and try re-running the ReadyCloud app.

Regards

Message 9 of 20
morme
Aspirant

Hi @Marc_V, I'll try the toggle on/off/reboot tonight.

Regarding security software, I don't think I've added anything to the NAS (how do I confirm what should/shouldnt be on there?), and only the security put in place as standard by talktalk as my ISP - is there an easy way to check this and ho wit mught be affecting comms to your server?

Message 10 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@morme wrote:

Hi @Marc_V, I'll try the toggle on/off/reboot tonight.

Regarding security software, I don't think I've added anything to the NAS 

I think @Marc_V was thinking about security software on your client devices (or router), not the NAS.  If you'd tried to harden your NAS security, you would certainly know that.  Is SSH enabled on your ReadyNAS?

One the network side, you might want to confirm that port 6300 is open in your router using something like canyouseeme.org.

Message 11 of 20
morme
Aspirant

@Marc_V, I tried the toggle Readycloud on off and did a reboot, no change, still cannot access the nas through reaycloud ios app (iphone), or website (ipad), or PC website.  I assume since this is issue is seen across several devices (including ios) that it's not a security issue at the device end?

@StephenB, thank you for further suggestions.  I added 6300 as open for port forwarding to the router and checked the link you sent me, which was good.  Can you confirm, what should the external host be?  And is 6300 correct for internal external ports?  (scrrengrab below).

What I did notice was that the box in the NAS GUI for which port to forward goes blank sometimes (for example after reboot), and I had to fill it in again.  Is this expected behaviour?

SSH is not enabled, should it be?

I've added some screen grabs (apologies they are literally photos of the screen for expediancy to show some of the settings/results from yesterday's efforts, I hope these are Ok to share in an open forum.

IMG_0853.jpgIMG_0854.jpgIMG_0855.jpgIMG_0851.jpgIMG_0852.jpg

Message 12 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@morme wrote:

SSH is not enabled, should it be?

No (unless you want to use it for something).

I asked because the only way you could have installed security software on the NAS would be through ssh.  Since it's not enabled, you certainly didn't do it.

@morme wrote:

Can you confirm, what should the external host be?  And is 6300 correct for internal external ports? 

Leave the external host blank.  The connection is to the readycloud infrastructure, and they might be using more than one cloud server.  ReadyCloud only uses one port to connect to the NAS, and by default it is 6300.  If you need to forward ports, then you'd forward 6300 to 6300 (as you've done).  Since 6300 is the default, Netgear might sometimes blank it in the web ui.

Overall - port forwarding normally isn't needed.  Perhaps try disabling the forwarding, and see if the port is still open (it should be).  If forwarding isn't needed, then it's best not to use it.

Message 13 of 20
morme
Aspirant

@StephenB I tried removing the port forwarding and it was no longer open (not visible to canyouseeme.org). I also tried removing the external port, but the router won’t allow that to be blank, or to use a wildcard “*”.
So no closer to accessing remotely. Any other ideas I can try or settings to check.
In case I’ve not mentioned it before my ISP is TalkTalk in case that makes any difference.
Message 14 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@morme wrote:
 I tried removing the port forwarding and it was no longer open (not visible to canyouseeme.org).

Yes, that would be expected.  ReadyCloud shouldn't need it to be open.

@morme wrote:
 I also tried removing the external port, but the router won’t allow that to be blank, or to use a wildcard “*”.

Correct.  The external port can't be blank.  I suggested leaving the hostname blank (or *) earlier.

Can you see your files when you access the ReadyCloud web page?

Message 15 of 20
morme
Aspirant

@StephenB No, I can't see the files.  The NAS is linked to my account though since I can see it at that level, however I just get a "no volumes or usb disks" error when I click on it.

Message 16 of 20
morme
Aspirant

@StephenB @Marc_V 

I have still not resolved this issue, is there anything else to try or any other settings I can confirm?

Thank you for your help thus far.

Message 17 of 20
ajandali
Aspirant

I do have the same issue and can't get it to work, anyone can help?

Message 18 of 20
Icewaterhot
NETGEAR Employee

Hi @morme ,

You can try OS reinstall, or update new Firmware.Note:  Data will still be retained. I think much likely missing readycloud command file in your ReadyNAS. If you like, you can give me  remote access PM to me SDM's port.

https://kb.netgear.com/000053266/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Enabling-Secure-Diagnostics-Mode.

Message 19 of 20
morme
Aspirant

@Icewaterhot , thank you for the offer to help look at this.  I'll sort out the remote access when I get in later today and send the SDM Port details to you.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements