Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Online (VPN Disconnected)

User89
Initiate

Online (VPN Disconnected)

It suddenly has shown the message 'online (VPD Dissconnected)' on Window app from 5days ago.

I already uninstalled and reinstalled the app, but it still doesn't work.

I can connect on the Chrome web. not app.

Please help me to slove this problem.

Message 1 of 14
JohnS530
Guide

Re: Online (VPN Disconnected)

Same here. the Windows desktop app VPN just stopped working.

Have to use the Web Browser portal, and that requires the download/upload steps, which is a lot more work.

Also, the browser app does not allow direct admin access to the NAS admin page.

Message 2 of 14
User89
Initiate

I found the notification that ReadyCLOUD service for WiFi routers is ending on April 4th, 2023 / ReadyCLOUD service for ReadyNAS devices is ending on July 1st, 2023.. I guess that's why it happens and, no more fixing it.

All readycloud users have to move their files to another cloud storage before the end of support..

Message 3 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

@User89 wrote:

All readycloud users have to move their files to another cloud storage before the end of support..

Not true.  There are other options for remote access to a ReadyNAS that have been exhaustively discussed in other threads.  I don't know about options for ReadyCloud on routers, as I do not use it.

Message 4 of 14
Mike101
Tutor

What are the other threads ? or other solutions? can you direct us

I do not wish to use some one else's Cloud!

Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Mike101 wrote:

What are the other threads ? or other solutions? can you direct us

I did point you to the main alternatives on your other thread.

1. ZeroTier, OpenVPN, or similar VPN if all you need is remote access
  2. Enabling FTPS with port forwarding and DDNS if you want a secure way to access the NAS files w/o a VPN.
  3. OwnCloud or NextCloud for sharing features similar to ReadyCloud

The place to start is to look at how you use ReadyCloud now.  Your other thread talks about remote access/backup.  But we don't know what else you are looking for.

Message 6 of 14
Mike101
Tutor

Thank you StephenB for this (I don't know how to copy previous comments in greyed out format )

The place to start is to look at how you use ReadyCloud now.  Your other thread talks about remote access/backup.  But we don't know what else you are looking for.

I use my NAS drive to synchronise files and folders from my remote PC on the NAS drive (attached to a local PC and home network) as a primary method of securing the data and being able to occasionally access and work on it from home.

My method is to backup the remote Office PC files overnight in a separate folder and it this backup that is synchronised to the remote Home NAS

My theory is the data is secure should my office PC be compromised or destroyed.

On my Home Pc local to NAS drive, I synchronise the files directly using  ReadyCloud in the system tray.

Please forgive my clumsy explanation, My IT skills are limited and knowledge of networking, FTPS, DDNS etc are poor, not even rudimentary. Which is why ReadyCloud (when it worked) suited my needs. 

From your suggestions which are easiest use with limited if non existent knowledge.

Many thanks in anticipation

Message 7 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

IMHO, the easiest to use for the connection is ZeroTier, since there is a ReadyNAS-specific version for it that has a GUI.  That version is a Very old one, so the possibility exists that a future upgrade of the ZeroTier servers will break it, but it works now.  The last ReadyNAS version with a GUI is located here: https://github.com/NAStools/zerotierone/releases/tag/readynas%2F1.1.14-nt3 .

You'll also have to install ZeroTier on any device you need to access to NAS remotely and create an account and "network" on ZeroTier Central (https://my.zerotier.com/ ). 

The big advantage of ZeroTier over a more traditional VPN is no need for DDNS.  ZeroTier Central takes care of each device finding each other, but no data is transferred through them, much as ReadyCloud does.

You then need some kind of sync and/or backup software.  FreeFileSync is good free option for synchronizing.  @StephenB and I both choose Acronis True Image (now part of Acronis Cyber Protect) for backup, but there are other options, including open source.  If you use Acronis, the latest version lets you choose between a newer (.tibx) and "legacy" (.tib) format, but it's only available by subscription.  IMHO, the legacy format is better suited for use with a NAS.  If you buy an old 2020 or 2021 version, which can be purchased with a "forever" license, there are hoops you have to jump through to use that format, but it can be done.  The 2019 and earlier versions (I recommend you not go back any farther than 2018) use the old format exclusively.

Message 8 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

IMHO, the easiest to use for the connection is ZeroTier, since there is a ReadyNAS-specific version for it that has a GUI. 

You then need some kind of sync and/or backup software.  FreeFileSync is good free option for synchronizing.  

@Mike101: your main use sounds like remote access for file access and backup. These options are both worth a look. 

Not sure that ZeroTier is easiest though.  It does have a lot of features, and the setup can get complicated if you don't know much about how networking works.

If you have a Netgear Nighthawk or Orbi router that already has OpenVPN and DDNS built in, then I personally think using that would be easier for most users than installing ZeroTier.  Netgear does have reasonable step-by-step instructions,and of course you can use the forums if you run into snags.

If you don't have OpenVPN and DDNS in your current router, then start with ZeroTier.  If you run into problems, you can get hep with that here.

Message 9 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

Not sure that ZeroTier is easiest though.  It does have a lot of features, and the setup can get complicated if you don't know much about how networking works.

I have to disagree.  If you want to use ZeroTier as a bridge, it does take a bit more effort.  But using it as a peer-to-peer network, as is the default and is most like ReadyCloud, it does not require knowledge of networking.  You create an account and "network" on ZeroTier Central (via a simple GUI), install ZeroTier on each device and connect each to your network by ID number, then go back to ZeroTier Central and authorize the devices.  Done.  Now each device has a new IP address on your ZeroTier network in addition to it's normal one and devices can connect on that network by using the ZeroTier IPs.

I consider it an advantage that the networks are not bridged, but all devices I need to access have a ZeroTier version available.  If you have devices that can't run ZeroTier (like an OS4.x ReadyNAS), then you'll need to bridge your network, and that may be easier with OpenVPN if your router has everything needed pre-installed.

The GUI in ZeroTier Central will allow you to assign a fixed address to each device if you so desire (and I recommend you do).  In my case, all devices have a reserved IP address on my home network of 192.168.0.xxx and I have assigned a ZeroTier address of 192.168.192.xxx (same xxx on each network) for ease in remembering the addresses.  Note that there is no need to flip between networks between home and remote.  Like ReadyCloud, the server only acts as a "operator" to connect the computers, NAS. etc.  From there, all communication is peer-to-peer, so stays on your home network if both devices are on it.

Message 10 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Both are good solutions, but I still think ZeroTier requires a bit more tech knowledge. Just my opinion, certainly something people can disagree about.

One thing I have been wondering about is whether ZeroTier could handle the case where the ReadyNAS is connected via mobile broadband.  OpenVPN won't, because it requires the ability to make an inbound connection to the remote network. Those networks (and landline ISPs that use CGNAT) can't support those inbound connections.

ZeroTier Central in principle could handle this scenario, and it would be useful to check that it actually does. When/if I have time, I'll investigate that (I can test it on T-Mobile broadband).  Though if someone else here can test it, it'd be great if they could post their findings.

@Sandshark wrote:

The GUI in ZeroTier Central will allow you to assign a fixed address to each device if you so desire (and I recommend you do).  In my case, all devices have a reserved IP address on my home network of 192.168.0.xxx and I have assigned a ZeroTier address of 192.168.192.xxx (same xxx on each network) for ease in remembering the addresses. 

One example that illustrates the need for network knowledge.  You do need to know some basics about subnets and IP addresses to set this up properly - avoiding conflicts, etc. Many users do have that knowledge of course, but I think a lot of ReadyCloud users don't.  

@Sandshark wrote:

I consider it an advantage that the networks are not bridged, but all devices I need to access have a ZeroTier version available. 

I think this is particularly advantageous if you want to install a backup ReadyNAS at another location (friend or family) as part of disaster recovery.  ZeroTier lets you connect specifically to your remote ReadyNAS without needing general access to that person's network, and without needing DDNS to reach that person's network.  The connectivity you need doesn't get interrupted if they upgrade to another router, change to another ISP, etc.

At this point I'm not deploying my ReadyNAS that way - my disaster plan is built on cloud backup.  All my ReadyNAS (main and backup) are on my home network, and all I need is remote access from my laptop and sometimes my phone.  Even then I am more often connecting to a home PC (rdp and similar tools) than I am connecting to the NAS.  OpenVPN fits my use case perfectly, but if I were to put a backup NAS at a family member's home, I'd definitely be looking at ZeroTier.

Message 11 of 14
Mike101
Tutor

Thank you all for your ideas.

Do I install ZeroTier or similar on my ReadNAS (NAS104) device or will it work with just installing ZeroTier on the other PCs.

Also can I run the ZeroTier as well as the ReadyCloud App at the same time until I am confident in my setup of ZeroTier or similar.

(I did say my knowledge was basic)

I am now going to try and improve my knowledge on Networks

Message 12 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Mike101 wrote:

Do I install ZeroTier or similar on my ReadNAS (NAS104) device or will it work with just installing ZeroTier on the other PCs.

It depends a bit on which approach you want to take.

(1) With ZeroTier you'll want to install it on the NAS and of course the devices you want to use remotely. 

If you want to access other devices (for instance home PCs) remotely, you'd also need to install ZeroTier on them. ReadyCloud doesn't offer that, but it is something I find useful. 

One way to get started is to set ZeroTier up on a phone and a laptop.  Create a test network share on the laptop, and then access it from the phone when the phone isn't connected to your home wifi.  Once you have that running, you can install it on the NAS and add the NAS to the ZeroTier network. You can then delete the test network share. 

(2) With OpenVPN, the openVPN server is only in the router (with nothing installed on the NAS), but of course you still need the OpenVPN client on the devices you use remotely.  Obviously this requires a router that has OpenVPN built in.  

If you have a Netgear router, it's slightly easier to start by setting up the client on your phone/tablet and then accessing the NAS from the phone.  There is a extra step needed to get it to work on a Windows PC (renaming the VPN connection in the PC to NETGEAR-VPN).

BTW, MicroTik routers have both ZeroTier and OpenVPN built in.  Not a router I've ever used myself, but I think it is nice that they offer both options.

@Mike101 wrote:

Also can I run the ZeroTier as well as the ReadyCloud App at the same time until I am confident in my setup of ZeroTier or similar.

Yes. (equally true with OpenVPN).  I recommend doing that, so you'll have all the kinks worked out before the ReadyCloud service ends.

Message 13 of 14
NiveditaP
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @User89 

NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023.
ReadyCLOUD mobile app, desktop application, and ReadyCLOUD web portal readycloud.netgear.com
will all be terminated by July 1st, 2023. After that date, you can
continue to access locally your ReadyNAS, or access locally the USB
drive connected to the routers, but remote access won’t be available.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused to you, but there is not any other alternative that can be applicable for the usage of the ReadyNAS device remotely.
After 1st July, the ReadyNAS device can be only accessible locally.

Have a lovely day, 
Nivedita Pa
Netgear Team 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements