Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Performance Concerns RN10400

krgoodwin
Aspirant

Performance Concerns RN10400

My experience with a ReadyNAS R104 (Firmware V6.2.0, three 4-TB Seagate ST4000VN00 HDDs) has me seriously wondering. Here is my litany of some of the problems:
1. Setup took 48 hours for what I presume was building the volume to a RAID 5 configuration. (Netgear calls it Resync data which had me seriously puzzled since I had no data on the bare disks.) Netgear support told me the process would take no more than 24 hours, had me do a factory reset which essentially cost me one day since the second iteration was exactly the same as the first.
2. Setting up the ReadyCLOUD, the process suggested I back up the normal c:\users\ .... folders. Backup of the Document folder was going to take at least 4 days (folder ~ 6GB). The ReadyCLOUD software must have all the folders at the user root level since one can't drill down into the file/folder structure to access 'smaller' folders.
3. Taking the Quicken data folder up to the user root level allowed me to set up a share folder consisting of a 3 MB file and a 1.5 MB file. Anytime either of the files is changed, the entire folder is resync'ed (rebuilt) from the PC taking about 20 minutes which is an unacceptable delay since my finances transport delay can be in the minutes. I also like to turn off my PC (which seems to be a passing fancy).
4. My PC bootup went from 20 seconds to 3 minutes because of the ReadyCLOUD client. So much for the SSD disk drive I purchased to reduce the HDD based boot process. I will admit that the PC appears usable during this long boot but what processes are impacted and what are not impacted is over my pay grade.
5. I use to run my some of my PC system backups to the old NAS, an Iomega StorCenter (1 TB RAID 1). Over a 1 GB LAN (I use a Netgear FVS336Gv2 firewall router and a GS116v2 switch) the performance compared to USB3 was poor but it would take around 2 hours for a PC system recovery backup. The same backup to the ReadyNAS R104 was going to take 44 hours (as estimated by Norton Ghost).
So where have I gone wrong? Ken Goodwin, Houston, Texas
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements