Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problems downloading files from specific folder

Axulus
Tutor

Problems downloading files from specific folder

I have recently been having a problem downloading files from a "restricted" folder on my ReadyNAS through the ReadyCloud site.  We have a General folder that everyone in the companyh can access, and a "restricted" folder that only certain accounts that I have shared this folder with can access. 

My account has access to this folder (I am the admin for the NAS) and never had any issues previously.  I (and anyone else that I have given access) can view all the files in this restricted folder through the ReadyCLOUD site from a remote location.  However, whenever any of us try to download a file from this folder, the full file does not download properly.  Any file we download is only ~200-300 bytes in size and when opened gives an error message because the full file was not downloaded.  On the other hand, whenever any of us download a file from the general folder, the entire file downloads properly with no problems.

I did update the firmware about three weeks ago so am not sure if that may be the reason this started happening?  Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be going on and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 14
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Axulus,

The update has nothing to do with it. I suggest that you try to access or download the said files locally first and see if it will give you the same behavior. Also, could you tell us what kind of file and its size so I can reproduce this on my end?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 14
Axulus
Tutor

Hello Brian,

I am able to download the files fine locally (i.e., if I log on to the readycloud site from a computer connected to the LAN which the NAS is also connected to, the full file downloads fine, and there are no problems accessing the file from the NAS directly).  It is only when I try to download from a remote computer not connected to the LAN that I run into the issue.

The files I've tried are primarily MS Office files (.xls, .xlsx, .doc), but also include .pdf files.

An example would be a file named "Fine Detail Greenway order for 1-17" - this is a .xlsx file, and the size on my computer after downloading it is 296 bytes, should be ~14.0KB

Another one is called "NWCS Returns" - .xlsx file, 273 bytes, should be ~7.9KB

Finally, one more is called "Alta Nova - PDT Technologies Rate Sheet" - .pdf file, 330 bytes, should be ~539.4KB

Message 3 of 14
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Axulus,

Thanks for the information that you have provided. Kindly check your inbox, I sent you a PM. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 14
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Axulus,

I downloaded all of the files that you shared (weird 1kb sizes) and I can't open or access them. I will report this to this my colleagues and ask for their input about this issue.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 5 of 14
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Axulus,

No worries. Keep the thread up to date whenever you got some suggestions or possible fix on your issue.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 14
Nagrav
Aspirant

I have exactly the same issue - what was the fix for the problem at the time?

Message 7 of 14
Axulus
Tutor

No solution yet - I might have to purchase premium support to get help on it, considering my options.

Message 8 of 14
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Nagrav,

I haven't experienced this on my end when I tested it. I'm not certain why this happens to some users and it's possible cause. 

@Axulus can you send me PM together with the ticket# from support?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 14
IanW
Tutor

Hi there. I'm having exactly the same issue here - first time we've really tried to access files through ReadyCloud remotely. I really need to download a few files, as I'm away from the office! When I select a file for download, it only seems to download part of the file, ending up around 320kb - whether a PDF, image or an InDesign file. It then won't open in the relevant application. How can I overcome this? I'm the Admin, and it's doing it for me, as well as one of my team - so, from two different logins and access levels. This is going to be a problem (!) - hope someone can help!

Message 10 of 14
Nagrav
Aspirant

Hi, still have the same issue on my side and no solution. My workaround for the time being is using the app to download required files and forward them by email - this works well (although it should only remain a workaround).

Message 11 of 14
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi IanW & Nagrav,

I suppose that you're having issues downloading files (from reated /or generated web links) through ReadyCLOUD. This issue has been already reported, let's wait for some feedback.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 14
Axulus
Tutor

The Netgear team was able to look into the issue and mostly resolve it.

They said that the system can not download files when there are files and folders that have a special character in the name (like the & symbol, and other such symbols, periods (.) seem to be OK).

They also said there was some issue with the folder permissions which they fixed.  They took care of that for me (gave the tech my login info).  

I can now download the files normally again.

Message 13 of 14
Axulus
Tutor

Forgot to mention, removing the special symbols from the file names and folders is what seems to fix the issue.  Not exactly sure which folder permissions they changed and whether that was necessary.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements