Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 Ready Cloud APP trouble

ParisHenri
Tutor

RN102 Ready Cloud APP trouble

Hi,

I'm having trouble with the Ready Cloud application for Windows since last week. Just so you understand the situation, you have to know that my RN102 is not in my house, but at my friends, few blocks away. For the last months, I connected to my files with the Ready Cloud App.

Usually, my computers used to reconnect to the app with the credentials and I was able to navigate my folders on windows (I run Windows 7 on all of my PCs).

But last week, the app asked me to enter e-mail and password again. I did it and : "Ready Cloud server is unavailable"

I tried with an other computer, same thing.

So I went on the internet page of Ready cloud, to check if the RN102 wasn't turned off at my friends, but I was able to reach it on the ready cloud page. I saw it needed an firmware update, so I launched it, but it didn't solve the problem.

I also tried to update the Ready cloud app (current version 1.20), by going to settings --> check for updates, but then again, a error message : " Failled to connect to Ready Cloud Server"

I don't know what to do next? The server is up and running at my friends, we both rebooted our internet boxes, but the trouble keep on going. Any clues?

Thanks a lot

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN102 Ready Cloud APP trouble

@scravatt

The servers are getting security updates from time to time to be protected from vulnerabilities and threats.

While we do not specific changes made, it is possible that the servers are now blocking/limiting Windows 7 OS due to lack of security updates since support has ended already for this version.

As much as we would like to it might be already a limitation for Windows 7 OS. If there are any findings we will surely provide it here.

IMO, it will best to get the OS updated.

@ParisHenri

Thank you too.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 25

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ParisHeri

Welcome to the Community!

Have you rebooted the NAS as well? Have you tried toggling the ReadyCloud sevice and check if Internet and Service has checkmarks under the Cloud tab?

Message 2 of 25
Sandshark
Sensei

Others are reporting an issue with Win7 and no solution or even root cause (beyond being common to Win7) has been identified in the forum thus far.

Message 3 of 25
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Sandshark

Thanks for that, I actually just got into other posts. I\ll be checking it.

Message 4 of 25
ParisHenri
Tutor

@Marc_V 

Hey there ! Thanks for the quick reply.

The NAS was rebooted, no success here.

I saw the tip of switching ON/OFF the ReadyCloud service under the Cloud tab on an other topic, so I tried that yesterday on local network (at my friends house), but no improvments.

While doing that, The 'Internet' and 'Service' had green checkmarks.

Message 5 of 25
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ParisHenri

Can you use readycloud.netgear.com and see if you can access it from there?

Message 6 of 25
scravatt
Apprentice

The website works. The app doesn’t.
Message 7 of 25
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We tested it on a Win7 box but all seems to be fine. Were you able to save an older version of ReadyCloud app? or try to reinstall the app you have?

Message 8 of 25
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Windows 7 users do you have this update? The issue might be with TLS. If you have TLS1,1 or 1,2 enabled and still getting issues please let us know.

Message 9 of 25
scravatt
Apprentice

the app has been working fine for years then all of a sudden stopped working last Thurs/Fri. I removed and reinstalled with version 1.20 (latest one).  No change...still doesn't work.

Message 10 of 25
scravatt
Apprentice

yes, the update is on both of my systems and it still doesn't work. Something changes on netgear's end late last week to cause the app to not work on Win7 systems. Any idea what changed?

Message 11 of 25
ParisHenri
Tutor

@Marc_V 

Hey ! I'll check to see if I can re install version 1.19 (actual 1.20) of the app, see if it's better.

About TLS update, I don't know what it is. Do you know where I could go to see if it's installed on my computer?

A priori, I think I don't have it. But if you know a certain way to check it, I'm all hears.

Message 12 of 25
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@scravatt @ParisHenri

Are you on Win7 SP1? Not really sure what changed but again we have tried to connect using a Win7 box and all seems to be fine. This link might help as well on checking/updating your Win7,

Message 13 of 25
scravatt
Apprentice

Yes, Windows 7 professional SP1. I have 2 different laptops on it and both stopped working around 3/24-25.  I have made no changes to either system.  I even have an older Win7 system that I tried it on and same issue. The app can't even check for an update in the setting tab. I get an error: "Failed to connect to readycloud server". (see screenshot).  Not sure what else to do. Seems like netgear changed something on those dates that caused readycloud app on some Win7 systems to not work anymore.

Message 14 of 25
ParisHenri
Tutor

Yes, both my systems are on Service pack 1. Does your 'win 7 box' were on a higher service pack?

Message 15 of 25
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This link may help on enabling TSL1.1/1.2 to check if this is the cause. As I've said we have Windows 7 box that is not having the issue.

Also, Win7 ended its support it might be time to upgrade. IMO

HTH

Message 16 of 25
scravatt
Apprentice

you've already sent this in a previous reply. I already have this update installed. Still can't get readycloudapp to work.

Message 17 of 25
scravatt
Apprentice

forgot to add,  I checked the registry and all the keys are corrected as shown in the update.

I didn't see a reply from you on what netgear changed on their end 3/24-25. Something changed to cause this app to not work on some Win7 systems. If you can find that out, it will help troubleshoot the issue.

Message 18 of 25
ParisHenri
Tutor

Hey @Marc_V 

So it seems I don't have either TSL 1.1 / 1.2. I tried to upgrade .Net Framework, but no improvments with that.

It might be time to switch to Win 10 as suggested, hoping it will do the trick^^

Thanks for the help !

Message 19 of 25
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@scravatt

The servers are getting security updates from time to time to be protected from vulnerabilities and threats.

While we do not specific changes made, it is possible that the servers are now blocking/limiting Windows 7 OS due to lack of security updates since support has ended already for this version.

As much as we would like to it might be already a limitation for Windows 7 OS. If there are any findings we will surely provide it here.

IMO, it will best to get the OS updated.

@ParisHenri

Thank you too.

Message 20 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've just taken the plunge and done a fresh Install of Windows 10 Pro after backing up everything I had with Windows 7, Reinstalled the ReadyCloud desktop App and guess what, It's WORKING OK. I had tried the patching, uninstalling, turning ReadyCloud On/Off with No luck. So hopefully its back to normal with Win 10 !

Model: RN31441D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (4x 1TB Desktop)
Message 21 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Well my previous Post joy was short lived !  I purchased another Laptop with Windows 10 Pro 64bit installed and everything was fine. Installed ReadyCloud and backed up a few Folders with NO problems, did a few test Folders to check Syncing was working fine, NO problems. Then today launched ReadyCloud and got the Network Error message back again. Tried turning Reading Cloud On/Off, rebooting NAS, reinstalling ReadyCloud but no joy. So it may be the issue is just not confined to Win 7.

Message 22 of 25
scravatt
Apprentice

Hope Netgear support now realizes something is broke with the Readycloud app or servers and it's not OS dependent and they find & fix the issue

Message 23 of 25
Sandshark
Sensei

At this point, suggesting they are related is premature.  There are occasional issues with the ReadyCloud server (one of the reasons I've made a different choice for remote access), and the problems seen on Win10 could just be that.

On the other hand, multiple users have reported the Win7 issue, which does seem to be Win7 specific.

Message 24 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Bizarre. now 24 hours later its working OK and Syncing on the 2 Win 10 Pro 64 bit Laptops but still getting the Network Error message on the Win 7 Pro 32 bit desktop. Who knows what the next few days will bring ? I haven't changed anything on the 2 Windows 10 Pc's btw.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements