Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN314 - No volume exists

Jazzpr
Apprentice

RN314 - No volume exists

Hi all,

Our NAS seems to stopped working properly after a powercrash, and after the last good reboot the message 'No volume exists' keep popping up. The data is still there, but the mount seem to fail.

I can't seem to fix it myself, but I've read several times on this community that Netgear Support can do this remotely.

Does anyone know how do get this done?

Thanks, 

Jasper

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 14
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Jazzpr 

You are correct it would be best to contact Support and have a case escalated to check if they can remount or recover data. You may need a Data Recovery contract for this case.

You can login to your my.netgear.com account and create a case. Note: If you have purchased your RN314 between June 1, 2014 and May 31, 2016 you have a lifetime chat support available. DRC is different though

HTH

Message 2 of 14
Jazzpr
Apprentice

@Marc_V , thanks for your reply, but sadly support don't seem to be an option for this nas; purchased 2019-01-02 and no longer has support or warranty options available.

It looks like I need to figure out a way to fix this myself... any options, anyone?

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Jazzpr wrote:

@Marc_V , thanks for your reply, but sadly support don't seem to be an option for this nas; purchased 2019-01-02 and no longer has support or warranty options available.

If you are the original purchaser, you should still be able to purchase a support contract.

Message 4 of 14
Jazzpr
Apprentice

@StephenB @Marc_V 

Now, correct me if I'm seeing this wrong;

I've bought this brandnew nas exactly 3 years ago, to use with 3/4 brandnew wd-red nas-discs under raid5 and 1 spare to have the data somewhat safe. Suddenly, after a neighbourhood powercrash all is unusable, while the hard- and software of the system doesn't seem to comprehend what's going on. All Netgear can offer me is to spend more money for support, probably to come to the conclusion I need to spend more money for datarecovery.

At the end of this horrorstory, I've spend about $1K in good faith, hopefully got my data, but left in the dark with a 3 year old nas that's allready eol.

Excuse me, but... W.T.F.

Message 5 of 14
Jazzpr
Apprentice

The thing is.... I believe the answer is simple, but I just don't see it.

Doing a diskcheck #2 seems to be bad, so that's hotswapped by a new one; nothing happend, the same issue is still there.

Attached my view of the admin, does anyone knows what's going on and how to move forward?
Disk #1 and #3 are used for the raid5, #2 was faulty and replaced, #4 is spare and seemingly unused.

Well, images can't be included as it seems, but I've uploaded it to https://ibb.co/LrHRtXj 

Message 6 of 14
StephenB
Guru

I don't work for Netgear, and have no influence over their support policies.

I suggest paid Netgear support in these cases because IMO that has the best chance of avoiding data loss.

@Jazzpr wrote:

I've bought this brandnew nas exactly 3 years ago, to use with 3/4 brandnew wd-red nas-discs under raid5 and 1 spare to have the data somewhat safe.

"Somewhat" is an important word here.  RAID isn't enough to guarantee data safety.  The only way to do that is to have a backup on another device.

@Jazzpr wrote:

Suddenly, after a neighbourhood powercrash all is unusable

It is possible that the crash resulted in lost writes (due to caching).  That would give you an out-of-sync array.  Getting a UPS for your NAS would close this particular whole.

Do you have any experience with the linux command line (e.g., ssh)?

Message 7 of 14
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Jazzpr 

With the images you uploaded your volume went offline due to multiple failure, I agree with StephenB on contacting NETGEAR Support and check with them regarding recovery.

Did you purchase the drives separately? your RN314 should have 5 years warranty, if you have Proof of Purchase, I recommend contacting NETGEAR. If you have a case number please PM it to me so I can try to check.

HTH

Message 8 of 14
Jazzpr
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

I don't work for Netgear, and have no influence over their support policies.

I understand, it wasn't meant as personal as it seems.

The only way to do that is to have a backup on another device.

I know, and for farmost data this nas is the other device...
Besides that, there is some stuff that's less important, but still desirable to get back.

Do you have any experience with the linux command line (e.g., ssh)?

Yes, I do, a little bit. The ssh in the nas is activated so I can access it, but I do not know how to deal with this particular issue...

Message 9 of 14
Jazzpr
Apprentice

@Marc_V wrote:

Did you purchase the drives separately?

Yes I did, the nas was diskless (EAN 0606449093568).

@Marc_V wrote:

your RN314 should have 5 years warranty, if you have Proof of Purchase, I recommend contacting NETGEAR.

I came to the conclusion that the nas is almost(!!!) 5 years old. My bad, sorry.
The support is 3 months, somehow...

@Marc_V wrote:
If you have a case number please PM it to me so I can try to check.

I've did a supportrequest, the casenr is coming your way by PM.

I understand that nothing is for free, and a prosupport plan can be needed, but I still believe my issue isn't that complicated and can be fixed when I know where to look...

Message 10 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Jazzpr wrote:

Disk #1 and #3 are used for the raid5, #2 was faulty and replaced, #4 is spare and seemingly unused.

Was disk #2 replaced after the power failure or before?

Any evidence that the new disk resynced?

Message 11 of 14
Jazzpr
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

Was disk #2 replaced after the power failure or before?

After.

@StephenB wrote:

No, the hotswap didn't trigger anything, not even after a soft reboot of the nas.

Message 12 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Jazzpr wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

No, the hotswap didn't trigger anything, not even after a soft reboot of the nas.

Were you seeing the inactive volume status before you replaced the hard drive?

Message 13 of 14
Jazzpr
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:
Were you seeing the inactive volume status before you replaced the hard drive?

Yes I did.

At this moment Netgear Support is executing my servicerequest, so before moving on, I'll wait for them to respond or - with any luck - even fix the issue.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements