Reply

RN516 - Won't connect to ReadyCloud since 6.9.5 update

Mr_HoneyDo
Aspirant

RN516 - Won't connect to ReadyCloud since 6.9.5 update

Since I've updated to FW version 6.9.5 I can't get the ReadyCloud App on either of my Samsung S9 phones or access my device via the ReadyCloud site.  I appears, but says there are no volumes, and the app on the phones just time out and occasionally report an error.  I've read several threads on similar but very dated topics which point to a leapP2P service that might not be starting that controls connection to the Cloud.  I'm not sure how to force this service to launch on the device (I've tried restarting and shutting down and restarting with no change in behavior) as most threads state Netgear Admins have to login remotely and launch it. Anyone have any ideas?

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Mr_HoneyDo
Aspirant

Re: RN516 - Won't connect to ReadyCloud since 6.9.5 update

So I fixed it.  I was looking for your two green check marks when I noticed it said no internet available.  Somehow my port aggregation got changed from Layer 2+3 to Layer 3+4.  Switched it back to Layer 2+3 and now its working again.  

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN516 - Won't connect to ReadyCloud since 6.9.5 update

Did you also try toggling the service on and off on the cloud apps page?

 

Also, are you seeing the two check green check marks on that page?

Message 2 of 8
Mr_HoneyDo
Aspirant

Re: RN516 - Won't connect to ReadyCloud since 6.9.5 update

So I fixed it.  I was looking for your two green check marks when I noticed it said no internet available.  Somehow my port aggregation got changed from Layer 2+3 to Layer 3+4.  Switched it back to Layer 2+3 and now its working again.  

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN516 - Won't connect to ReadyCloud since 6.9.5 update


@Mr_HoneyDo wrote:

Somehow my port aggregation got changed from Layer 2+3 to Layer 3+4.  Switched it back to Layer 2+3 and now its working again.  


The xmit hash only affects the coin-flip that determines which NIC is used to transmit each packet.  It doesn't affect internet connectivity.

 

But changing the setting would restart the NICs, and that might have done it.

 

Message 4 of 8
Mr_HoneyDo
Aspirant

Re: RN516 - Won't connect to ReadyCloud since 6.9.5 update


@StephenB wrote:

@Mr_HoneyDo wrote:

Somehow my port aggregation got changed from Layer 2+3 to Layer 3+4.  Switched it back to Layer 2+3 and now its working again.  


The xmit hash only affects the coin-flip that determines which NIC is used to transmit each packet.  It doesn't affect internet connectivity.

 

But changing the setting would restart the NICs, and that might have done it.

 


Everything is working.  Something more must be going on with the xmit hash and the Ready Cloud service because it completely resolved the issue.  I had restarted, shutdown and restarted, toggled the service and even restarted my switch and nothing changed the behavior until I corrected the Layer selection.  End of the day its working, but I would be curious to hear Netgear chime on what might have been going on there.

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN516 - Won't connect to ReadyCloud since 6.9.5 update

It would be interesting to know if the problem recurs if you change the hash back to layer 3+4.  If it does, it'd be useful to know if the only symptom is disrupting the ReadyCloud service.  If there is something broken in LACP I'd expect it to affect all services.

 

FWIW, layer 2+3 hashing guarantees that the total flow from the NAS to a client can't exceed the link speed of a single NIC. This guarantee can prevent packet loss if the ReadyNAS NICs are gigabit and the path from the NAS to the client is also gigabit .  In other cases (for instance WiFi), the application relies on TCP congestion control (or UDP retransmission).

 

Layer 3+4 hashing doesn't have that guarantee, since traffic to different TCP/UDP ports can use different ReadyNAS NICs.  So the NAS can attempt to send more than 1 gigabit of traffic to the client.  I think that's very unlikely to trigger issues with ReadyCloud, since most ReadyCloud users don't have gigabit internet service.  Those users are relying on TCP congestion control anyway.

Message 6 of 8
Mr_HoneyDo
Aspirant

Re: RN516 - Won't connect to ReadyCloud since 6.9.5 update


@StephenB wrote:

It would be interesting to know if the problem recurs if you change the hash back to layer 3+4.  If it does, it'd be useful to know if the only symptom is disrupting the ReadyCloud service.  If there is something broken in LACP I'd expect it to affect all services.

 

FWIW, layer 2+3 hashing guarantees that the total flow from the NAS to a client can't exceed the link speed of a single NIC. This guarantee can prevent packet loss if the ReadyNAS NICs are gigabit and the path from the NAS to the client is also gigabit .  In other cases (for instance WiFi), the application relies on TCP congestion control (or UDP retransmission).

 

Layer 3+4 hashing doesn't have that guarantee, since traffic to different TCP/UDP ports can use different ReadyNAS NICs.  So the NAS can attempt to send more than 1 gigabit of traffic to the client.  I think that's very unlikely to trigger issues with ReadyCloud, since most ReadyCloud users don't have gigabit internet service.  Those users are relying on TCP congestion control anyway.


 

Switched it back to Layers 3+4 and working just fine.  So definitely was just the NICs acting up. Odd that a restart and especially a shutdown/restart wouldn't have resolved that previously.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN516 - Won't connect to ReadyCloud since 6.9.5 update


@Mr_HoneyDo wrote:
>Odd that a restart and especially a shutdown/restart wouldn't have resolved that previously.

I agree, it is odd.  There have been some posts from other folks with connection issues to the ReadyCloud service over the past couple of weeks.  These seemed to have been a side effect of some security improvements Netgear made in the service.  I guess it's possible that those changes might also be related to your connectivity issue.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2329 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements