Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadCloud Netgear Dependence

jmazz
Aspirant

ReadCloud Netgear Dependence

I am very new to NAS and am looking to set up a ReadyNAS 104.
I have a few questions which I was not able to answer by searching the net.

(1) Is the ReadyCloud used to configure the NAS only for NAS setup or will I be dependent on Netgear for security and access of my data on the NAS? It seems to me that as I will require to have an Account on the ReadyCloud system, access to my data will be determined by a system run on Netgear hardware. I was hoping it would be something like my Netgear Router where the browser accesses the the router for configuration. If the answer is that I will be dependent on Netgear is there an alternative way to make the NAS available over the net (WAN).

(2) Initially I intend to occupy bay 1 and 2 with 4TB hdds. This will leave bays 3 and 4 empty. I was wondering if I could use these spare bays to conveniently look at existing data on old SATA hdds which may be formatted as FAT or NTFS?

thanks in advance
john
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadCloud Netgear Dependence

1) Using ReadyCloud the connection to your NAS is established with the help of our servers but the data is transferred directly between your client device (e.g. PC) and the NAS. If you'd rather not use ReadyCloud you can use the local admin page via your own VPN (e.g. a VPN configured using your router) or if you must forward ports (I don't recommend forwarding ports).

2) No
Message 2 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadCloud Netgear Dependence

Transfer via our servers is a fallback option, but if that happens we don't store the data and the data transmission can be encrypted
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements