Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadNAS 104 won't boot - says "Boot from USB"

nrkent
Aspirant

ReadNAS 104 won't boot - says "Boot from USB"

I have been running a ReadyNAS 104 with two disks for just over a year.

A week ago I got messages saying that one of the disks was about to fail. I tried to log on to the Readnas locally and via Readycloud but couldn't get the normal control panel up - it just hung. All this time I can still access the data on the drive.

So I replaced the disk it had been warning about and I got several more emails explaining what it was doing (very helpful) finally stating that the disk was now redundant again (sounds like good news). However, I still couldn't log on to the ReadyNAS. I tried several times to reboot using a graceful shutdown using the power button and nothing happened. Eventually I gave in and unplugged the ReadNAS from the power.

On restarting it gives a message "Boot from USB" and the power and backup buttons are flashing. I have tried accessing the boot menu by restarting while holding the reset button but this does nothing. I have also tried restarting the ReadyNAS with a USB inserted containing the Raidiator recovery image but this does nothing either.

I am now stuck .... any ideas ?

Thanks

Nick
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadNAS 104 won't boot - says "Boot from USB"

This sounds like the backup button is stuck in.

I assume you get this issue still if you power down the NAS, remove your disks (label order) and attempt to boot the NAS with no disks installed?

Sounds like an RMA may be required.
Message 2 of 7
nrkent
Aspirant

Hi

The backup button doesn't feel stuck in (it still clicks when you press it) ... but yes, I get the same symptom when I remove the disks.

I assume RMA means return to manufacturer ? I think the 104 has a 3 year warranty which it is still within ... not sure how I go about this -presumably via amazon who I bought it from ?

Thanks

Nick
Message 3 of 7
nrkent
Aspirant

Sorry - one more question...

If I get a repaired or new 104 will the existing disks pick up where they left off (assuming they were still fine when this error occurred which I am pretty sure they were) or will I lose all the data ?

Many thanks

Nick
Message 4 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you recall what firmware version you have on your 104?
Message 5 of 7
nrkent
Aspirant

No, sorry. I guess there is no way to find out now ?

Nick
Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you get an RMA, you can put a spare disk (must not be from your array) in the 104, use that to update the firmware on the NAS, verify the firmware update is successful, then power down, remove your spare disk and migrate your disks across (keep order the same) from the dead unit.

If you contact support they could confirm if an RMA is required and if so let you know what needs to happen.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements