Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readnas cannot connect to readycloud

rickr1
Aspirant

HI Guys,

Actually I was/am prepared to pay for a one off support charge and I called the call centre and spent considerable time on the phone with the operator. But diring the call I discovered another problem with my ReadyNAS which is that it is reporting back a different serial number from the one on th sticker underneath it.  The sticker is the correct format (13 chars) but the reporting back from the admin page is only 11 chars.  This would be contributing to the problem connecting to ReadyCloud should my device have been supported.  This leaves me to the next question and that is that there is a difference between firmware and OS even though the OS updates are called firmware updates.  I was informed that my model is not supported that is becasue the firmware is not supported (even though I am running the current OS release 6.9.1)

Ayway apparently my nas os not supported wvwn though I am running the current OS (not firmware?????)

As to connecting via a vpn, that looks like the only option available to me and I just purchased another 6 new Seagate IronWolf 4TB as I am now going to restructure all of my primary storagea nd backup configuration.  So if anyone could direct me to a recommended process for setting up a VPN and establishing a reliable remote connection to it I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone for all of your help so far.

Cheers,

Rick

Message 51 of 55
rickr1
Aspirant

I wish we could edit out posts!!!  Sorry, my OS version 6.9.2 

Message 52 of 55
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

rickr1 did you get my PM? I can fix the serial number problem easily. There was a batch of early Pro units where the system fell back to using the MAC address of the first network port as we didn't program the serial number into the unit. You'll notice that the 12-digit number is the same as the MAC address for the first ethernet port.

Though running OS6 on your NAS is not officially supported as you've found you can run it on it. RAIDiator-x86 which shipped on your device hasn't been updated for a long time. It'd be better to stick with OS6 imo.

Of course if using the NAS for primary storage you should make sure you do backups regularly.

Message 53 of 55
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

rickr1 your NAS is now reporting the correct serial number.

Message 54 of 55
rickr1
Aspirant

Thank you very much mdgm, that solved that problem.

I did try ReadyCloud again and it got a bit further now, now it is only complaining about wrong email address or password.  Well it is now locked as I tried about 4 or 5 times with variations on my password as I set it so long ago.  Anyway thank you very much for your help.   If I resert the firmware to factory or whatever in the future will I need another fix?

Cheers,

Rick

Message 55 of 55
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 54 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements