Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready Cloud Access Shuts Down Randomly

9mmBeretta
Follower

Ready Cloud Access Shuts Down Randomly

For the past several weeks I am finding that the Ready Cloud Access is turning off in the background and cannot access the Shares remotely using the Ready Cloud app. It shows the VPN as disconnected.

No updates listed for the app.

Firmware for the NAS is current at version 6.10.3

When opening the Admin page, and selecting the Cloud tab, the Ready Cloud access shows turned off.  After turning it on, a day later or even a new session, it will do the same and turn off access.

All remote access computers have been updated, the app was uninstalled and then reinstalled without change.

The NAS has been restarted.

The NAS settings are:

Protocol - TCP

Port - 6300

Encryption - Enabled

Model: RN214D43|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 3TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 14
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Ready Cloud Access Shuts Down Randomly

Hi 9mmBeretta,

Welcome to the Community!

Were you able to notice in the Cloud tab if there is a green check on both Internet and Service when the ReadyCLOUD is turned off?

You may try assigning a static DNS on the NAS and see if you will still get the same issue or not.

Regards,

Message 2 of 14
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi 9mmBeretta,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as a solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The NETGEAR community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 3 of 14
isthatmine
Aspirant

I have 2 of these, I am having the issue with 1 of the units, it will randomly turn off the readyCloud access. Sometimes after 2 hours, sometimes after 20 hours.
All network config is DHCP
Firmware version up to date.
Please help it is both relied on and a production environment for small business that has a number of remote users. There is often no one on site to restart the service.
We have replaced the router(also a netgear).
On thing to add is that it will turn back on after restarting the router as well.
TIA
Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 4 of 14
isthatmine
Aspirant

To add to this the green internet tick was there and the unit AV and firmware check could be run. Just the ready service was turned off.
Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@isthatmine wrote:
On thing to add is that it will turn back on after restarting the router as well.

That's unusual.  Are you reserving addresses for the two NAS?

Does the router support openVPN?

If not, do you have a way to reach a PC remotely in the office? 

I'm thinking that it would be useful for troubleshooting if you could access the NAS admin ui w/o ReadyCloud - it would also give you a way to recover when ReadyCloud drops.

Message 6 of 14
isthatmine
Aspirant

There is no PC to remote to, if the router didn’t support openVPN it would never have worked. It has worked fine for about 10 months. It does work fine when the readyCloud is turned on.
Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@isthatmine wrote:
if the router didn’t support openVPN it would never have worked.

I don't know what you mean by this bit - (what exactly wouldn't have worked?)

But if you have openVPN available to you, then you would be able to at least restart the NAS remotely w/o relying on ReadyCloud.  

Have you downloaded the full log zip file (ideally shortly after you've recovered from the failure)?

Message 8 of 14
isthatmine
Aspirant

Thank for the response,
My bad on the openVPN, my thought was that readycloud used this to work. After a minute of looking it up I found why that statement didn’t make sense. I’ll look at this as a workaround for now. Not sure if it does support OpenVPN.

I don’t have a download of full log file but I have looked at it a few times looking for answers. There are no errors other than the unit failing to backup to the offsite storage after readyCloud has stopped responding. There are no PC’s on-site to remote to as they are all laptops that move with the users. The site is essentially a warehouse for the users to drop in and grab what they need for the day.

Ideally I would like a fix over a work around. It has been very reliable until recently.

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

You have two NAS behind the router that both use ReadyCloud?

Do they use different ports, or are both NAS using the default port?

Message 10 of 14
isthatmine
Aspirant

No the second NAS is offsite at another location, it’s only purpose is offsite backup.
Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@isthatmine wrote:
No the second NAS is offsite at another location, it’s only purpose is offsite backup.

Thanks for clarifying.

The fact that rebooting the router also solves the problem suggests that the problem is network-related. 

Is the NAS directly connected to the router, or is there an intermediate switch?  

Is there anything else that is always connected to the internet through the router?

Are you using both ethernet connections in the NAS or only one?  If both, what form of bonding are you using?

It'd be easier to troubleshoot if there was a way to leave a laptop with some form of remote desktop software in the building 24x7 (and always on) for a few days.   Then remote desktop could be used to reach the laptop (and if that also failed, would point to the router and not the NAS).

Message 12 of 14
isthatmine
Aspirant

The router has Internal 3 wired connections,
LAN side
1 to the VoIP.
1 to the NAS.
WAN
1 to the NBN (internet FTTB)

I have already replaced the router as I thought the same. I also thought it might the ISP blocking the port but that would mean the readyCloud service wouldn’t work at all but it would not turn off either. I did contact the ISP but they assured me no port blocking is in place. The site has a static business IP.

I did get a NUC installed there today with win10 and teamviewer setup on it so I can manage the for the time being. I did also got the log file download as well, it gleaned no further info than I said before.
BTW Thanks for your thoughts and help
David
Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

You could also try switching the ethernet to the other NIC port on the NAS.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements