Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyCLOUD App will not sync .env / .htaccess / any files or folders that begin with a period &a

SigmaSteve
Tutor

ReadyCLOUD App will not sync .env / .htaccess / any files or folders that begin with a period "."

I have set up our ReadyNAS RN104 using ReadyCLOUD and SMB file shares so that we can work remotely on some customer projects and collaborate better whilst we're COVID'd.

It's synchornising properly using the ReadyCLOUD app on Windows 10 x64.  The problem I have is, our web development environments have files named such as .env and .htaccess, which the software refuses to synchronise, it just ignores them.  I assume this is because they are sort of like files with no name, just an extension.  Windows also has some issues working with these files sometimes as they are used primarily by Apache on Unix servers.

The software does throw up a Windows notification telling me that it couldn't sync two files, but this pops up every few seconds so I've had to disable it before it drives me insane.

Does anyone know a way around this?  The only thing I can think of would be to zip them up, but that's very much a workaround rather than a solution.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can provide.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyCLOUD App will not sync .env / .htaccess / any files or folders that begin with a period &a

@SigmaSteve

The ReadyCloud app is actually working as intended. The service is actually intended for home users which typically don't need to sync these kind of files or folders, it would be best to get the help from other backup or sync services. This is also one possible reason why the request was not approved.

HTH

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyCLOUD App will not sync .env / .htaccess / any files or folders that begin with a period &q

Shares beginning with a dot are hidden files in Linux, which I am sure is the crux of the problem.  This issue was raised months ago (ReadyNAS-Cloud-Storage/Synchronisation-failed-for-some-files) and is, as yet, unresolved.

Message 2 of 6
SigmaSteve
Tutor

Thank you very much for the fast response and the link to the other post, which I'm not sure why I couldn't find before posting (I did search first, honestly).

Considering it's been about 18 months since this was reported, I'm guessing it's not going to be fixed.  I think we will have to look at other solutions because this isn't viable to use without supporting these file types, and won't be for anyone doing software development.

Message 3 of 6
SigmaSteve
Tutor

@Sandshark wrote:

Shares beginning with a dot are hidden files in Linux, which I am sure is the crux of the problem.  This issue was raised months ago (ReadyNAS-Cloud-Storage/Synchronisation-failed-for-some-files) and is, as yet, unresolved.

@Retired_Member Please could you give us an update on what happened to this bug and whether it will/won't be fixed?  I have tagged you in this thread because the above thread is closed so I wasn't able to respond there.

Many thanks,

Steve

Message 4 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@SigmaSteve

The ReadyCloud app is actually working as intended. The service is actually intended for home users which typically don't need to sync these kind of files or folders, it would be best to get the help from other backup or sync services. This is also one possible reason why the request was not approved.

HTH

Regards

Message 5 of 6
SigmaSteve
Tutor

@Marc_V 

Thank you for the confirmation, which although isn't the answer I wanted, is understandable considering it is a free service.

We have decided to switch to use OneDrive for Business instead, which for anyone else experiencing this same issue, I can confirm will sync files beginning with a dot.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements