Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyCLOUD Backup PC Folder

JohnNulty
Apprentice

ReadyCLOUD Backup PC Folder

I have tried to look for in-depth information about the setup of the new ReadyCLOUD PC client, and didn't get very far. I have setup a user client and connection to my NAS (RN312, 6.2.0) is OK, but when I go to the 'Backup PC Folder' link on the client machine (Win7) I am met with a selection of potential directories which I can choose from......but I don't want those ones, I want to choose another one....How do I accomplish this?
Cheers,
John

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Right now you can't...

Hopefully that will be addressed soon.
Message 2 of 7
JohnNulty
Apprentice

Thanks Steve for the quick reply. I had thought I was having a 'blond' moment....; )
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

I think Netgear had the "blond" moment this time.
Message 4 of 7
chainlinc
Guide

JohnNulty wrote:
I have tried to look for in-depth information about the setup of the new ReadyCLOUD PC client, and didn't get very far. I have setup a user client and connection to my NAS (RN312, 6.2.0) is OK, but when I go to the 'Backup PC Folder' link on the client machine (Win7) I am met with a selection of potential directories which I can choose from......but I don't want those ones, I want to choose another one....How do I accomplish this?
Cheers,
John

You may create a symbolic link from the folder you want to one of the folders that Netgear forces you to choose from.

Windows command prompt (as administrator)
MKLINK /J C:\Folder C:\Users\User1\Favorites\Folder

The above will create a hard symbolic link and allow 'C:\Folder' to be backed up via the selection of 'Favorites'. It also brings all of Favorites with it, so you could choose a different, unused folder from the Netgear selection.
Message 5 of 7
krgoodwin
Aspirant

ReadyCLOUD will use any folder or file at the \Users\Myaccount directory level, i.e., the MyDocuments directory level but nothing outside of that directory level. You can create a backup job using the Admin page and set all the share permissions, etc. of the Source file while creating a Shares folder as the destination which allows full directory accessibility. The best documentation is a You Tube video by Mammoth Jerk titled "How to set a Backup with a Netgear ReadyNAS step by step guide". It is a little behind OS 6.2 but no worse than the Netgear documentation. A good instruction video on the necessary sharing settings, passwords, etc.
Message 6 of 7
ranc
Aspirant

See, that's what I thought - I was convinced that it was user error (mine, I am blonde .. with an IT degree) .. because SURELY software would not be written in this restrictrive way .. still can't fathom this.  We're 9 months on and I can find neither sensible user documentation on how to set up via readycloud client nor useful info on the forums .. which I continue to trawl in desperation.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements