Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyCLOUD desktop client showing Offline on multple ReadyNAS 104 - it's been disabled?!

ITME-DF
Star

ReadyCLOUD desktop client showing Offline on multple ReadyNAS 104 - it's been disabled?!

Hi.

I have two RN104 models. One on my LAN in my office and one in a customer's office 22 miles away. The RN104 in my office is being used to store my media collection, a file server for my business and (in testing) a backup service to a small number of customers. The remote is a customer's main storage and file share which I maintain and am currently 'watching' due to problems with disk-based backups.

Both devices suddenly appeared as Offline in the desktop client for me sometime yesterday. I then got a phone call from an irate customer complaining he couldn't access his backup to retrieve a file he needed (which I then accessed locally and emailed him). This problem would have also prevented me from monitoring the problematic backup on the remote device if I didn't have VNC access and was able to access the NAS via a PC in their office.

Anyway, I left it for sometime hoping the service would return but alas no! Then I thought, just a moment ago, has the ReadyCLOUD function been somehow disabled? Sure enough, both devices have had their ReadyCLOUD function turned off. So my questions are . . .

1. Why have both devices had their ReadyCLOUD function turned off? I didn't do it and I'm the only person with admin access to both devices and they both have different, complex passwords which change regularly.
  2. If this has occured due to a problem at NETGEAR, for example, a wide-ranging hack or someone 'accidentally pressing the wrong button' will you please let me know. I need to have confidence in this kit as I am installing and maintaining them for customers.
  3. Is it safe to turn the ReadyCLOUD function back on? I've seen recent reports of people complaining that their data has been lost or compromised. I need to use the ReadyCLOUD client on a daily basis to manage my devices.

Thanks.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
ITME-DF
Star

Re: ReadyCLOUD desktop client showing Offline on multple ReadyNAS 104 - it's been disabled?!

For the information of other users!

After backing up my local NAS I turned the ReadyCLOUD feature back on and 'reconnected it' to the service via username and password. After three hours, there appears to be no other problems. I just turned the remote NAS ReadyCLOUD service back on too.

I'd still like answers to my questions as I'm a little concerned.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12

All Replies
jrhslick
Aspirant

Another ReadyNas 104 with teh same issue....Suddenly ReadyCloud disconnected and in the admin it has been turned off. I am the only admin for it and I have not touched the box in 3 months!

Model: RN10442D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay
Message 2 of 12
ITME-DF
Star

For the information of other users!

After backing up my local NAS I turned the ReadyCLOUD feature back on and 'reconnected it' to the service via username and password. After three hours, there appears to be no other problems. I just turned the remote NAS ReadyCLOUD service back on too.

I'd still like answers to my questions as I'm a little concerned.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 12
jak0lantash
Mentor

There are bits of info in the other threads on the subject.
Message 4 of 12
ITME-DF
Star

Yea, so I've seen. It's a bit here and there - I guess as a result of a lot of people like me with limited time and being concerned making their own posts.

From what I can gather there's a problem at NETGEAR which seems to have 'removed' user sign in details from the My NETGEAR database and/or the database went offline resulting in the ReadyCLOUD function being turned off on a large number of devices. My My NETGEAR account info. wasn't removed so recreating the link worked fine.

I'd still like some definitive answers as to the cause and likelihood it will/won't happen again. Time permitting I will try to track the other threads on the subject.

Message 5 of 12
pmjc
Apprentice

Ready Cloud says my NAS104 is  "offline" but I can still connect locally. Is the cloud service down again?

Message 6 of 12
ITME-DF
Star

Both of mine appear to (still) be working.

After I 're-enabled' the ReadyCLOUD service and linked it to my main account I had to send user share invites out again. What an absolute pain in the YNW.

I sincerely hope this doesn't happen again and still want to know why it happened - I can't roll out a backup service if there's a chance the ReadyCLOUD client or account will somehow detach itself from the NAS/share.

D.

Message 7 of 12
pmjc
Apprentice

ANother mystery solved. The cloud service was tunred off on my READYNAS but I didnt do it!. Turned it back on and it worked fine.

Message 8 of 12
Kumarasiri
Aspirant

I had the simillar issue with ReadyNAS 314 with one of my customers. When I looked at the logs, it seems the Readycloud account was compromised. snapshot turned on and Egnyte sync was turned on to copy data. To stop remote users logging-in, they have deliberately turned off the ReadyCloud. it was a nasty experience :-(.

Readycloud should implement 2 factor authentication (via email/sms code) to enable any configuration changes.   

Message 9 of 12
jak0lantash
Mentor

@Kumarasiri wrote:

Readycloud should implement 2 factor authentication (via email/sms code) to enable any configuration changes.   

You could post that in the "Idea" section (if it's not there already).

Message 10 of 12
pmjc
Apprentice

Getting the VPN disconnected again-is this happening with anyone else

Message 11 of 12
pmjc
Apprentice

Getting the VPN disconnected again-is this happening with anyone else.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements