Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyCloud Desktop App

goppy
Aspirant

Any updates on this? It's three months later, and the Mac version still isn't anywhere to be found. And now the beta version linked to above has also disappeared.

So has Netgear given up on Mac completely? It really shouldn't be so hard to get one *nix-based machine (Mac) to talk to another *nix-based machine (ReadyNAS, and, I assume, also Netgear's ReadyCloud servers)
Message 26 of 44
Maestro11
Aspirant

The link i provided does still work it download the one they release on Dec 19th.

I will let you all know that I been dealing with an issue where I keep getting VPN disconnect when trying to connect outside my home network and Reported to support and after weeks of back and forth with them they finally said it not an issue since it works on windows and if I need to connect remotely to the NAS I should do it via the web interface since the Mac Desktop app is not release yet. They were not the least bit interest in trying to understand what I was encountering and what maybe unique about my set up what I can to get the app to connect to my NAS using a Mac.
Message 27 of 44
ryanasimov
Aspirant

Maestro wrote:
The link i provided does still work it download the one they release on Dec 19th.

I will let you all know that I been dealing with an issue where I keep getting VPN disconnect when trying to connect outside my home network and Reported to support and after weeks of back and forth with them they finally said it not an issue since it works on windows and if I need to connect remotely to the NAS I should do it via the web interface since the Mac Desktop app is not release yet. They were not the least bit interest in trying to understand what I was encountering and what maybe unique about my set up what I can to get the app to connect to my NAS using a Mac.

Yep, same issue here with the VPN disconnection on my Macs. The only reliable way I've found to use the app is to reinstall it each time. The suggestion from Support to use the web portal is not acceptable because you can't administer the NAS without the app login.
Message 28 of 44
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

@Maestro
@ryanasimov

One thing that might help with the issue of being unable to connect via VPN from outside your home:
Does your ReadyCLOUD username contain upper-case letters? If so make sure you write your name exactly the way it was created (in terms of upper-case letters) when you log on. Or even better use a username with all lower-case only. This helps with some connection issues on the Windows Desktop App and the ReadyCLOUD Portal, might as well help on the Mac.

Bye,
Eskender
Message 29 of 44
ryanasimov
Aspirant

EskenderNG wrote:
@Maestro
@ryanasimov

One thing that might help with the issue of being unable to connect via VPN from outside your home:
Does your ReadyCLOUD username contain upper-case letters? If so make sure you write your name exactly the way it was created (in terms of upper-case letters) when you log on. Or even better use a username with all lower-case only. This helps with some connection issues on the Windows Desktop App and the ReadyCLOUD Portal, might as well help on the Mac.

Bye,
Eskender

Thanks for the reply, but my username is all lowercase letters. I've tested the Mac version of the ReadyCLOUD app on many Macs and the result has been the same: Install, connect successfully, disconnect, then each subsequent reconnect attempt produces a "VPN Disconnected" error. Rebooting doesn't help, but reinstalling the app allows it to work again (for one connection, then a repeat of VPN error).

BTW, if the case-sensitivity of the username is a known issue it might be a good idea to put this in the installer or the release notes.
Message 30 of 44
ryanasimov
Aspirant

Has this app been abandoned? It has never left beta and has only been available through links posted in this forum. It does not exist on the ReadyNAS download page. There is no way to administer the NAS from outside the LAN without this app. The beta is horribly unreliable; I have to reinstall it each time or I get "VPN disconnected" errors. The old Remote app doesn't work under Yosemite. It is hugely frustrating and baffling why MONTHS can go by without anything other than "It's being worked on" messages from Netgear.
Message 31 of 44
salamander1
Aspirant

Hello,

No news about an end version of Readycloud for mac OS X ?
Message 32 of 44
tetedeneud
Aspirant

Hello Salamander,

I also come here regularly to take news from the readyCloud desktop application. It works on my side, but I often have to re-install the application...

At the same time, I use the remote application (available for Yosemite) to access my NAS. You can download it at the bottom of the page: https://remote.readynas.com

Best regards,
Tetedeneud
Message 33 of 44
salamander1
Aspirant

Hello

Many thank's, it's works perfectly.
Message 34 of 44
Maestro11
Aspirant

ryanasimov wrote:
EskenderNG wrote:
@Maestro
@ryanasimov

Bye,
Eskender

Thanks for the reply, but my username is all lowercase letters. I've tested the Mac version of the ReadyCLOUD app on many Macs and the result has been the same: Install, connect successfully, disconnect, then each subsequent reconnect attempt produces a "VPN Disconnected" error. Rebooting doesn't help, but reinstalling the app allows it to work again (for one connection, then a repeat of VPN error).

BTW, if the case-sensitivity of the username is a known issue it might be a good idea to put this in the installer or the release notes.

That pretty much sums it up, works once and avery time afterwards get an error and will not allow me to connect. Still have the problem today. I wish they would just fix this issue.
Message 35 of 44
Maestro11
Aspirant

tetedeneud wrote:
Hello Salamander,

I also come here regularly to take news from the readyCloud desktop application. It works on my side, but I often have to re-install the application...

At the same time, I use the remote application (available for Yosemite) to access my NAS. You can download it at the bottom of the page: https://remote.readynas.com

Best regards,
Tetedeneud

Originally this did not work, but I had an old version and they seem to have updated it since I last installed and it is now working.
Message 36 of 44
Maestro11
Aspirant

BTW everyone there is a new version as of the 22nd of April, it is V1.0.589.151 I have not had a chance to test it to see if it fixes the problem with connecting outside the home network. Maybe someone else can give it a try and report back.

You can download it from the link I provided in the past.
Message 37 of 44
salamander1
Aspirant

Hello,

thank's it's work Correctly now.

Best regards
Message 38 of 44
Maestro11
Aspirant

The App is not working perfectly, It some time still will come up with the VPN connection error and the only way I have been able to clear the problem once it start happening is to delete the app and re-install it.

I am not sure what causing it to happen as of yet, but when it does happen it only affect connecting from outside the home network. If the computer is on the same LAN and IP subnet it will connect without issue.

I been able to make it work every time as long as I log out of the app and then exit it before switching networks. I have switch back and forth between my home network and external network a number of times and it will connect each time, but I make sure the app is not running when I switch back and forth. I am thinking the issue may have happen is the app was running and possible I was still logged in when I switch networks. This may make sense if that is what happen. I will have to do more testing to see if I can make it fail again.
Message 39 of 44
Leofwine
Tutor

I'm double posting because I digressed in another thread not realising that this thread existed. But regarding ReadyCLOUD:

It has taken me a while to take the plunge as I have consistently failed to find any informative material about how ReadyCLOUD works on a Mac (I could not even find out how to download and install it) so, I have only just installed the beta of ReadyCLOUD on my Mac. I wanted to sync documents between two Macs so that the latest version was always on both but I can't really put my faith in it until I know it works and so far, I am unimpressed.

The ReadyCLOUD beta interface fills me with dread! At first, I thought that there were no check boxes next to the selections in settings but then noticed that the checkboxes are actually floating in midair between the ReadyCLOUD popup and the menu bar; to select them, you need to click the text and hope that the change actually applies.

I also encountered a near catastrophe because I clicked 'Backup Mac Folder' and then attempted to select a subfolder in the only perceivable way, by double-clicking a folder. Unfortunately, this initiated a backup of that entire (massive) folder and frantic clicking of the cancel button didn't seem to work - though it eventually did. It would be of great benefit to me to be able to backup more than just the main folders in my user folder - how can multiple users collaborate if only documents from a single user's account folder can be backed up?

I am, all in all, pretty disappointed with ReadyCLOUD. It was probably the main reason I switched to the RN102 which I recently bought. The website promotion gave the impression that ReadyCLOUD was up and running and not in an experimental, half finished state.
Message 40 of 44
MacRob
Aspirant

So does anyone know what the current version of readycloud is? beta or otherwise?

I have 1.0.541.118beta. But when I was on the ReadyCloud web portal there was a link to download the ReadyCloud  app. (It wasn't there last time I was on this page) it downloads a .pkg file dated Nov 6 2015 3:11pm, which is pretty recent. but there are no version numbers, and I don't want to install it and overwrite a working install with an old version.

This thread seems to have died in june, is anyone still paying attention?

Message 41 of 44
daveryan66
Aspirant

Excuse us for asking moderator do Netgear  or do they not have an app that works for MAC?

As a point of reference I managed to get my money back from WD because their software did not operate at all correctly.

Your software did work in a fashion, but have change to Windows 10 on my PC and bought a MAC - I downloaded what I thought was a MAC app but it just just keeps saying it is connecting. I would like to know before I spend too much time on it whether it work or not?

As a general comment what are you doing releasing beta version - do you think you're Microsoft or something?  Most people just want to stream and back up and you need a beta version - hmm you must of seriously over cooked this app.

Message 42 of 44
daveryan66
Aspirant

Excuse us for asking moderator do Netgear  or do they not have an app that works for MAC El Capitain?

As a point of reference I managed to get my money back from WD because their software did not operate at all correctly.

Your software did work in a fashion, but have change to Windows 10 on my PC and bought a MAC - I downloaded what I thought was a MAC app but it just just keeps saying it is connecting. I would like to know before I spend too much time on it whether it work or not?

As a general comment what are you doing releasing beta version - do you think you're Microsoft or something?  Most people just want to stream and back up and you need a beta version - hmm you must of seriously over cooked this app.

Message 43 of 44
MacRob
Aspirant

Well I was bored so I did download the version that shows up on the readycloud webpage. It is a newer version and it does not say beta anymore. For me on ElCapitan it is working fine. (I do not use it for backups soo... ?) I do use it to connect and mount the various volumes I have. They also cleaned up the graphics glitches with the checkboxes.
Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements