Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyCloud Sync isn't Syncing

rclementtx
Guide

ReadyCloud Sync isn't Syncing #26894959

Last night I decided to give ReadyCloud desktop application a go to see if it would be more effective then TimeMachine.  It went throught an extened Indexing and re-Indexing process on my laptop but when I opened it up this AM, all of my files in my Documents folder seem to have moved over to a companion share on the RN316.

As the day went on and i worked on my laptop, creating files, moving files, creating subdirectories, etc (generally making fairly sizeable changes to file content on the laptop), I noticed that none of these changes were moving over to the server.  

Here's my setup -

• 2010 MacBook Air with lastest OS 10.11.4 operating system
  • Fresh download of desktop version of Readycloud for OSX - version 1.3.697.118 shows on file details.
  • Settings for that application load it as part of startup
  • Readycloud active in my system tray at the top and indicates that I"m properly signed in
  • When I get to the file folder created by ReadyCloud in the desktop app, it has a green check mark.  When / if i click the sync folder, it brings me to a new finder window which is the folder on my RN316
  • RN316 updated with 6.5.0 software
  • Network access for the sync folder is "everyone",  "admin" and anonymous.  
  • File access for that folder is read/write for everyone, folder owner (admin) and group (users)

I was counting on the sync features to do regular backups to RN316, not unlike Apple Time Machine.  So far, I seem to have one good upload and nothing more.

Troubleshooting suggestions would be much appreciated.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
rclementtx
Guide

Re: ReadyCloud Sync isn't Syncing #26894959

This problem has been without update for a while so I thought I'd share where I am with the community and the "workaround" that i've settled on that's much better than the ReadyCloud client app.  

My goal was to create a reliable sync between my laptop "Documents" folder and a matching share on the NAS using ReadyCloud client since I found Apple TimeMachine went through random restarts/rebuilds.  My intent was to sync to the NAS and create snapshots to a "time machine-like" document protection system.

After spending numerous phone calls with Level 3 support, who had to reach out to programmers for support, we concluded that the ReadyCloud client, in its current form, is not suitable for live and continous sync of an originating folder on my laptop to a share on the NAS.  Apparently what happens when that type of sync link is created, ReadyClound client then creates a NEW folder on the laptop that it then keeps in sync.  That totally defeats the objective of workin in my existing documents folder.  

I did find that BitTorrent Sync works marvelously and reliably for that purpose.  Plus it seems much, much faster in Sync operations than ReadyCloud apps.  So at this time, I keep 2 Mac "documents" folders in sync with each other (with read/write access) and with the NAS with (protected read only access).  Snapshots on the NAS then create living backups of my documents folders and backups of the whole share to another NAS provide security for my laptop files.  I'd have to have the equivalent of a triple failure to lose items.

I'm closing this case because I found that BitTorrent Sync is the way to go to solve my syncing needs.  I would recommend that NetGear publish some instructions/guidance with ReadyClound Client that are move complete than I can find on the FAQs and other documentation so that others don't waste well over 20 hours troubleshooting this software.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

So, when you see the green checkmark on the file (which indicates it was synced), you're not seeing that reflected on the ReadyNAS?
Let me look for where we store logs for Mac OS X for ReadyCLOUD client and we can see if they will give us more of an idea of what is going on.

Can you confirm if your ReadyCLOUD client shows that you're using your NETGEAR account's e-mail?

Can you send your logs into support, too?

Message 2 of 13
rclementtx
Guide

Re "checkmark" and seeing changes in the ReadyNAS - correct.  Checkmark on the desktop app.  Seemingly static file situation in ReadyNAS.

Tell me where the logs are and I'll be happy to send to support.  Send me details on where / how.

Message 3 of 13
rclementtx
Guide

Last item - my Netgear account changed ID changed over to my email address after i installed 6.5 last night.

Message 4 of 13
rclementtx
Guide

One more tidbit - laptop had gone into "sleep" mode about 30-45 mintues ago - booted up but comes alive when you hit keystroke.

When I checked on ReadyCloud app in system tray initially, the checkmark changed to circular arrow heads.  System has been saying "syncronizing 0%" now for 5+ minutes with no activity apparent.  Check of file structure on ReadyNAS remains stagnant.

Message 5 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 6 of 13
rclementtx
Guide

Where would you like me to send them?  Should I open a support case?

Message 7 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Opening a support case online and attaching the logs (mention that you have done this in an update to your case) would be good yes. Please let us know your case number.

Message 8 of 13
rclementtx
Guide

Case No 26894959 opened.  Logs appended to that case.

Message 9 of 13
rclementtx
Guide

I thought it might be appropriate to advise the community on status of resolving this issue.  

After multiple hours on the phone with NetGear technical support team in Ireland and California (and well over 6 hours of experimentation here), we have now isolated this issue to a broken sync link that occurs when/if you place a file in your NAS sync folder and expect it to sync back to your PC sync folder via the ReadyCloud client.  The problem can be replicated across multiple Mac computers and multiple ReadyNAS boxes and it occurs every time a file is added to the sync folder on the NAS.  

Tech support advises that bi-directional syncing worked prior to OS 6.5 update so this appears to be a bug induced by the latest software update.  We have confirmed that sync works ONE WAY from PC to NAS without issue (thus far).  So if you live in the MAC world and want to use the ReadyCloud client to sync files to your NAS (in lieu of using Time Machine), then you can expect it to work unless/until you place a file on the NAS in the sync folder.  At that point, the Sync loop will be irrevocably broken and your only recover is to delete the Sync Share on the NAS and rebuild your link from your PC.  

I will update when I get added information from Netgear relative to solving the software bug.

Message 10 of 13
rclementtx
Guide

In the last 24 hours, ReadyCloud Client (on my Mac) failed again.  In my previous post, we (Netgear and I) identified what appeared to be a bug wherein if you added a file to the Sync folder on the NAS, the sync link broke.  Our workaround was to never add a file to the NAS except via the ReadyCloud Sync routine.  We today, after about a full day of sync working, today I noticed that files from my Mac folder werren't moving to the NAS sync folder.  

I contacted my tech support engineer  contact in San Jose and he advised the same situation on his test machine.  

Thus there is clearly a syncing problem with ReadyCloud Client when used with a Mac and with OS 6.5 on the NAS.

I recommend you not rely on ReadyCloud Client to sync a folder from your MAC to your NAS until the Netgear tech team patches the problem.

Message 11 of 13
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello rclementix,

I checked your case and found that it has been escalated to a higher tier. Saw that the problem may have something to do with Mac folder in ReadyCloud app stops synching with ReadyNAS after the Mac machine wakes up from sleep. This is being reviewed and studied by the higher tier. I strongly suggest you wait for the update from them.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Message 12 of 13
rclementtx
Guide

This problem has been without update for a while so I thought I'd share where I am with the community and the "workaround" that i've settled on that's much better than the ReadyCloud client app.  

My goal was to create a reliable sync between my laptop "Documents" folder and a matching share on the NAS using ReadyCloud client since I found Apple TimeMachine went through random restarts/rebuilds.  My intent was to sync to the NAS and create snapshots to a "time machine-like" document protection system.

After spending numerous phone calls with Level 3 support, who had to reach out to programmers for support, we concluded that the ReadyCloud client, in its current form, is not suitable for live and continous sync of an originating folder on my laptop to a share on the NAS.  Apparently what happens when that type of sync link is created, ReadyClound client then creates a NEW folder on the laptop that it then keeps in sync.  That totally defeats the objective of workin in my existing documents folder.  

I did find that BitTorrent Sync works marvelously and reliably for that purpose.  Plus it seems much, much faster in Sync operations than ReadyCloud apps.  So at this time, I keep 2 Mac "documents" folders in sync with each other (with read/write access) and with the NAS with (protected read only access).  Snapshots on the NAS then create living backups of my documents folders and backups of the whole share to another NAS provide security for my laptop files.  I'd have to have the equivalent of a triple failure to lose items.

I'm closing this case because I found that BitTorrent Sync is the way to go to solve my syncing needs.  I would recommend that NetGear publish some instructions/guidance with ReadyClound Client that are move complete than I can find on the FAQs and other documentation so that others don't waste well over 20 hours troubleshooting this software.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements