Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyCloud connect problem after Netgear takes control

robrub
Aspirant

ReadyCloud connect problem after Netgear takes control

Hi

I had several problems with 6.2.2. and 6.2.3 betas and on 2 occasions the Netgear helpline took control of my RN312. After both distant controls, I lost my connection to ReadyCloud. I had to cancel my "old" account and create a new one on order to reconnect.

I think I may have found the culprit. When I had installed the ReadyNAS OS, the device ID was the part in green nas-some LAN card info. Then the first time NG took control, the device ID got changed and the part in blue was added. The 2nd time the distant control took place, the part in red was added...

Edit: As I cannot link to the image, here it the link

http://screenpresso.com/=VHJfc

End edit.

(FYI, I have flouted part of the shown info)

I'm not sure if ReadyCloud uses the device ID to reconnoiter the NAS. If this is not the case, I really can't find out why I can't connect to ReadyCloud with my old login/psw.

TIA for your help and ideas.

Robby

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

We can't see your image - you haven't shared it - and the url would need to be an image (e.g. end with .jpg)
Message 2 of 8
rovingmedic
Tutor

I experienced similar behaviour during my tech support interventions. My NAS was setup using static IP. When I put it in tech support mode it booted with a DCHP IP. This is different from the static IP. This broke the ReadyCLOUD link. I also had all kinds of issues trying to re-establish the link correctly after a factory reset. What I learned is that you need to make sure that your NAS IP is set up exactly how you want it before creating the ReadyCLOUD connection (in my case using a static IP) and that this IP is reconfigured again after any interventions to reconnect to the existing ReadyCLOUD admin account.

BTW, I always used the same NAS name (different from the default name that includes part of the MAC address). My NAS name was never changed after tech support interventions unless I reset the NAS to factory default (delete all data and reset all settings).
Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would recommend you assign the NAS a static I.P. using your router's static I.P. address list. You can assign a static I.P. to the MAC address of a NIC in the NAS.
Message 4 of 8
robrub
Aspirant

rovingmedic wrote:
BTW, I always used the same NAS name (different from the default name that includes part of the MAC address). My NAS name was never changed after tech support interventions unless I reset the NAS to factory default (delete all data and reset all settings).

My NAS has a static IP and it has not changed.

I'm not talking about the NAS name but Device ID. The NAS name can be changed and is what is seen on the LAN and on the cloud. The Device ID is an internal unique identification that we cannot change (and I think is used for the readycloud to identify the exacte NAS). You can see the Device ID in the Cloud page Settings of ReadyNAS remote.

Robby
Message 5 of 8
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

@rovingmedic

rovingmedic wrote:
When I put it in tech support mode it booted with a DCHP IP. This is different from the static IP. This broke the ReadyCLOUD link..

Hi,

When you previously used a static IP and then switch the device back to obtain an IP via DHCP, the DNS setting sometimes remains set to static. However, in the same process the actual DNS entry is cleared. This is the real cause of the problem, as a functioning DNS access is needed for ReadyCLOUD to work.

So, reconfiguring the DNS settings should correct ReadyCLOUD access problems.

Bye,
Eskender
Message 6 of 8
rovingmedic
Tutor

@Eskender,
Yes, once I reconfigured the static IP and DNS settings everything worked as expected again. It took me a while to learn all these details during my initial setup phase.

@robrub
Thanks for the insight. I wasn't aware that device ID and NAS name were 2 different tags.
Message 7 of 8
robrub
Aspirant

rovingmedic wrote:
@robrub
Thanks for the insight. I wasn't aware that device ID and NAS name were 2 different tags.

You're welcome 😉

For the moment, nobody seems to have reacted and as Netgear helpline had SSH acces to my NAS and corrected my readycloud connection problem, I don't know how the problem was solved (and even if the Device ID had anything to do with it).
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements