Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyCloud with limited access

Dr_T_
Aspirant

ReadyCloud with limited access

Hi,

I want to start using the ReadyCLOUD Feature but I don't want to share my private data via the internet.

So I want to limit the ReadyCloud access to all existing shares and just create a new share that can be shared via ReadyCloud.

Does somebody have an idea how to do so?

Reason: When somebody will find out my ReadyCloud access data my private files are not save. But when ReadyCloud would just use selected shares only, my private files are protected.

What will happen if Netgear's ReadyCloud database is hacked at some point?

Thanks for ideas,

Thomas

Model: RN214D43|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 3TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyCloud with limited access

You can lock down shares via the "network access tab" to prevent readycloud users from accessing them.  However, you can't really block someone who has managed to get the NAS admin credentials.

@Dr_T_ wrote:

What will happen if Netgear's ReadyCloud database is hacked at some point?

At the end of the day, you need to trust your cloud service providers to keep your data safe.  If you don't feel that you can do that, then you shouldn't use them.

There are ways to keep the security under your control.  One is to implement a VPN (such as openVPN), another is to use something like OwnCloud.  In both cases you aren't using a cloud service to share your data.

Message 2 of 4
Dr_T_
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply!

to ' lock down shares via the "network access tab" to prevent readycloud users from accessing them' should be my solution.

I will give it a try!

You also mentioned: 'However, you can't really block someone who has managed to get the NAS admin credentials.'

Do you mean, by creating an admin ReadyCloud access this acount can also beeing used as a NAS admin? I hoped (and still hope), that if I would use limited network access I would increase the security.

Thanks, Thomas

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Dr_T_ wrote:

You also mentioned: 'However, you can't really block someone who has managed to get the NAS admin credentials.'

Do you mean, by creating an admin ReadyCloud access this acount can also beeing used as a NAS admin? 

If someone penetrates ReadyCloud, they can then try to log into your NAS using it's admin credentials (since the ReadyCloud VPN will give them access to the web admin page through your home router's NAS firewall).  You can mitigate the risk by choosing a strong password, but you can't eliminate the threat altogether, because you can't block their access to admin web ui.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements