Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyCoud Architecture & data privacy/security

lorenz
Aspirant

ReadyCoud Architecture & data privacy/security

Hi there,

I have a basic question, yet I do not seem to find diagrams or articles about it: How does ReadyCloud work?

specifically I would like to understand what information I am sharing with netgear by using the service and who thus (even hypothetically) will have access to my data when using readycloud. any pointers to diagrams/white papers/articles or similar would be greatly appreciated...

thanks,

Lorenz

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2-Bay
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@lorenz wrote:

I have a basic question, yet I do not seem to find diagrams or articles about it: How does ReadyCloud work?

Unfortunately Netgear doesn't provide any information on this.  They should.

Message 2 of 5
lorenz
Aspirant

thanks stephen, that is interesting. if I were paranoid that would raise all sorts of questions. for now I guess I will just refrain from using ReadyCloud. resilio sync seems to work well...

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

I can tell you that ReadyCloud just negotiates the initial connection between devices.  The data itself does not flow through their servers (it would take masive throughput to do that).  If you want similar (in my opinion, better) connectivity that is more transparent about their access model, you can look at ZeroTier.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

I can tell you that ReadyCloud just negotiates the initial connection between devices.  The data itself does not flow through their servers (it would take masive throughput to do that).  

Though of course the data can flow through the ReadyCloud servers - it has to do that do when you transfer the data through the readycloud web interface. 

And some NAT/firewall topologies do require data to traverse the servers, so ReadyCloud (and ZeroTier) have to provide traversal in those situations.   There are similar cases with VoIP that are outlined here: https://www.avaya.com/blogs/archives/2014/08/understanding-webrtc-media-connections-ice-stun-and-tur...

As far as security goes, the more relevant question is whether the ReadyCloud servers have the ability to decrypt the user's data.  A compromised server would be able to force the data to traverse though it pretty easily.  But if it inherently can't decrypt the flow, then there is no threat of data compromise.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements