Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 102 - ReadyCloud Cannot Discover Device

timc555
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 102 - ReadyCloud Cannot Discover Device

I am unable to discover my NAS through ReadyCloud. I have read the following posts on this:

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=394086#p394086
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=70100
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=71057

and others.

My set up is:

ReadyNAS 102 connected to a Netgear router via a Netgear 16Gb switch. 2 PCs connected to the switch - I am able to connect to the NAS from either PC.

I had issues setting up the NAS and did it via the Set up wizard. I performed a factory default during the set up process. I have also created a ReadyCloud account in https://readycloud.netgear.com.

Based on the first post referenced above, I have tried the following:

1. Clicking the Discover button in ReadyCloud.
2. Having used the local setup wizard I understand from the post that I cannot discover the device in cloud portal;
3. So, I have pressed the backup button in the front panel for 5 seconds but the device is not discovered (again after clicking Discover);
4. But, being already registered into cloud I also understand that the device cannot be listed in the cloud portal discovery page unless I enter the SN and search it. I have tried this and it also does not work.

Remote access (and reported ease of set up) was the main reason I purchased this device so it is important to me to get this working. I would be grateful for assistance.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

The discovery tab has never worked for me (though I double-route, so there are two NATs between the NAS and the cloud).

However, once registered the NAS does show up on the manage page, access, and browse page.

As far as remote access goes, I find it generally works out better to use port forwarding with ddns.
Message 2 of 9
berillio
Aspirant

Hi Stephen, simple question, if the Discovery button never worked for you, how do you manage to convince your NAS(s) to Register? I cannot press any button, as my friend's NAS (104) is on a high shelf and out of reach. Apart from rebooting, there isn't much else I can do.
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Message 4 of 9
berillio
Aspirant

Hi Stephen, Thanks for coming back.
Well, the problem is further down than that, although I was stuck there for sometime (I could not move the slider to the "On " position: it would ask to join, I would supply my credentials and they would came back in red, suggesting that they were incorrect; I tried different capitalisations, then tried to create the user ID, knowing that I had done it already, and it would say that the user existed already, eventually I created another ID, XXXX_2 and then Bingo! it worked!
So now I could Sign in.......
Unfortunately, at that very moment, the "Services" icon, which was green, turned Red, Services became unavailable and that was it. NAS is offline/not registered, the "discover" button does not work (or maybe it works, the point is that NAS is not registering itself to the ReadyCLOUD services, so, obviously, ReadyCLOUD cannot discover it, as it isn't there...)
So back to my original question: how do you convince NAS to "register" to the ReadyCLOUD portal?

Incidentally, I later discovered in the Logs half a dozen or more entries which said that I had deleted the user ID (with various spelling capitalisation). These logs entries presumably took place before I created the 2nd ID (I am not near the NAS, I cannot check right now) and somewhat explain why I could not Sign-in with the original ID. Strange because I don't deleted anything, I simply tried to Sign-in, and then to Create the (same) ID, thinking that maybe ReadyCLOUD required its own registration.
btw, I also tried to search using what I thought it was the serial number - infact now I realise that it was the NAS id on the network, which includes letters, hyphens and underscores, and was not accepted - is there an easy way to see the serial number (it maybe in one of the infos popup screens). But I guess that the search would have failed anyway, as NAS was not yet registered on the CLOUD portal
Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I think you should contact Netgear support.

But you don't need the discovery to work in order to register the NAS with readycloud.
Message 6 of 9
berillio
Aspirant

I think that there is a language issue, ie the meaning of "Registering". It may mean either:
a) I Register the NAS to the CLOUD services, so the CLOUD portal knows that my NAS exists. This is done once and that's it.
or
b) the NAS registering to the portal, i.e. saying "Hello, I have been switched on , You know me (because (a) was done in the past) and I am ready to work, I am accessible to my users". This would happen many times, when the NAS's CLOUD services are required.
I think that we did (a); the CLOUD switch is in the ON position, the internet icon is green (so NAS can communicate if so required) but the Services icon is RED. This means that, for some reasons, the NAS is offline, and although it is known to the CLOUD portal, it is actually NOT talking to it right now.
Hence the "Discover" issue, at this moment, is immaterial. The CLOUD portal cannot discover it because NAS is NOT connected to the portal.

Incidentally, we live in a world of immediate access (and maybe getting too spoiled by that), but I wonder if the CLOUD (and ReadyNAS) services work at a different pace, meaning that it is perfectly normal to connect with ReadyNAS, find that my NAS is Offline, but that NAS will come Online 10 minutes later (maybe because my request to connects has "activated" it). Could it be that I been too "hasty" while setting up this 104, and I did not give the CLOUD server enough time to respond?
btw, this was done on a TALKTALK UK account, not blazing fast, but still a theoretical 8Mb/s connection (probably 4Mb/s in real life)

Thanks for being patient with me .....
Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

My RN102 was set up with ReadyCloud quite a while ago, and is generally always on - so I have no recent experience with the timing.

What I do know is that access and manage tabs work (once I log in), and discovery does not (and never did). Services and internet both have a green check at the top, and when I click on "users" button next to ReadyCloud I see my readycloud user account with readycloud, readydrop, remote services listed.
Message 8 of 9
Romsey
Aspirant

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I have had endless trouble trying to setup my RN102, neither Raidar nor readyCloud would allow me to go to setup. My solution was that I was trying to use IE 11 and this did not work with ReadyCloud - it would discover my device but hung going to setup. I spent a lot of time with the boot menu doing factory resets etc. In the end I went to another pc, installed FireFox, and java and all went according to plan. Hope this might save someone else some time. Mike
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements