Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 104 stuck in recovery loop

porkrind
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 104 stuck in recovery loop

My ReadyNAS 104 was unplugged for a few days and now is stuck in "Booting from USB" mode - that mode automatically comes up when powered on. Without a recovery usb, it fails and cannot be turned off without unplugging. With a recovery USB, it seems to perform the recovery, cycling from "Booting.." to "ReadyNAS USB Recovery" to "Recovery Done" and it shuts itself off. Pressing the power button starts the fail (no usb) or recover (usb) cycle again.

I have tried several USB drives (one dating back at least 10 years) formatted for both FAT and FAT32 and using the latest ARM firmware (6.10.2). All complete the recovery cycle, but go straight to "Booting from USB" upon power up. I'm fairly certain the firmware was up to date, so I'm reluctant to try and earlier version.

I am unable to use the reset button (paper clip) to get to the boot menu...the button being pressed is ignored. I removed all 4 drives, but the behavior is the same.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, even if it's to confirm I'm screwed.  Thanks!

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

RAIDar doesn't even see it wiithout drives?  That's a bad sign.  I don't know if the USB recovery tests the files installed by it or not.  If it doesn't, then it sounds like you still have a corrupt flash memory even with a "good" recovery, meaing the flash itself bad in some way.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

The sequence you list with the USB is normal recovery, so the USB drive isn't the problem.  It probably also means the OS is not the issue.  What status does RAIDar report for the NAS?

Without drives, it should report "No Disks".  If it reports something else, you likely have a hardware problem.

Message 2 of 6
porkrind
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, Sandshark! RAIDar doesn't ever see the NAS because it's either in Boot from USB Failed state or in recovery mode followed by a shutdown. I cannot get the NAS to a steady "on" state.

I'll give it another couple of days to see if anyone else has insight. If not, I'll chalk it up to a hardware failure and accept your solution.

Message 3 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

RAIDar doesn't even see it wiithout drives?  That's a bad sign.  I don't know if the USB recovery tests the files installed by it or not.  If it doesn't, then it sounds like you still have a corrupt flash memory even with a "good" recovery, meaing the flash itself bad in some way.

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

RAIDar doesn't even see it without drives?  That's a bad sign. 

I agree.

@porkrind - the warranty for the RN100 series is three years for the original purchaser.  If your NAS is still covered, you could get a warranty replacement via my.netgear.com.

Message 5 of 6
porkrind
Aspirant

Yeah, it's stuck in a boot recovery loop and never actually reaches an operational state. I'm going to switch to data recovery, hoping the drives are still good.

The NAS was purchased in 2014 and has been working like a champ 24/7 for over 5 years. I'd hoped for longer, but I really can't complain. The tinkerer in me will probably open it up at some point to try to diagnose a potential hardware fix, but short-term focus is recovering a few days work since I didn't back up nightly.

Thanks for weighing in - I appreciate having confirmation of failure from more experienced folks. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements