Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 314 stuck on "Booting...[]"

nsne
Virtuoso

ReadyNAS 314 stuck on "Booting...[]"

I powered up my brand new ReadyNAS 314 with three functional 4TB WD Red HDDs (for a total of 12TB) about two hours ago. Did some work, watched some TV, and the screen still reads "Booting...[]". The fans are going all out.

Can't access the unit via the ReadyCloud "Discover" service.

I've had two prior ReadyNAS units (an NV+ and an Ultra 4) and can't remember the first boot process taking this long. What gives? Any ideas?
Message 1 of 5
nsne
Virtuoso

Re: ReadyNAS 314 stuck on "Booting...[]"

Looks like I'm okay. I had to take all the HDDs out and access the boot menu, then proceed with a "Factory Default." I was under the mistaken impression that it did a factory default on first boot.
Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If the disks have partitions on them then it won't wipe them by default. Shouldn't need to remove the disks to access the boot menu (unless there is e.g. a bad disk, perhaps) and disks need to be installed to be able to do a factory default. A factory default without disks won't achieve anything.
Message 3 of 5
nsne
Virtuoso

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The HDD were XFAT-formatted, so that might have been why I couldn't access the boot menu with them installed.

I had to remove them, access the boot menu, then reinstall them and continue with the factory default. Everything's resyncing as I write this.
Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We don't wipe them by default because we want to avoid where possible wiping data against user's wishes.

Though in most cases the boot menu should still be accessible with disks installed. Have to press and hold the reset button then turn the NAS on whilst continuing to press the reset button.

Of course when that doesn't work getting to the boot menu stage and then inserting disks can be a good way to go.

If all the disks were not formatted and had no partitions on them then the NAS would have done a factory default automatically on first boot.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements