Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Can't Connect to ReadyCloud

jbuchal
Tutor

ReadyNAS Can't Connect to ReadyCloud

I just switched internet providers and lost Readycloud access to my NAS.  I dimly recalled that I would have to set port forwarding on the new modem to do this, but when I forwarded Ports 80, 443 and 6300 to the device's IP address, it still would not connect.  (I would prefer not to forward Port 80, and wasn't sure it was necessary.)

As far as I can see, the new modem (CenturyLink, ZXCELL 3000C) does not have any firewalls enabled.

Inside the NAS, I have the ReadyCloud settings to "specify incoming port connections," setting 6300 as the port, and turning encryption on.  (But turning off encryption doesn't help either.)

Does anyone have any ideas?  This has worked great for many months, other than the ISP problems I was having with the connection, and I really need to get working again.

(NAS Firmware 6.9.5 Hotfix 1)

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jbuchal,

Please try logging in to the NAS local admin page then go to Cloud tab, then check if the Internet and Service have a green checkmark on both.

If one or both of them does not have a checkmark, you may try assigning your router's IP address and 8.8.8.8 for the NAS DNS servers.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jbuchal,

Please try logging in to the NAS local admin page then go to Cloud tab, then check if the Internet and Service have a green checkmark on both.

If one or both of them does not have a checkmark, you may try assigning your router's IP address and 8.8.8.8 for the NAS DNS servers.

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
jbuchal
Tutor

System > Cloud is not a choice. System > Settings is, and shows http and https both green. There is a Cloud tab, which shows ReadyCLOUD and other cloud services, and has a header over the list of these services that says “Internet Unavailable”.

Nothing whatsoever has a “checkmark”.

I can go into the IPv4 setting and pick new DNS servers, but why should just changing an ISP require that?

Message 3 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

@jbuchal wrote:

I can go into the IPv4 setting and pick new DNS servers, but why should just changing an ISP require that?

If you had set up a static IP and used your ISP's DNS server in the settings, you likely no longer have access to it.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@jbuchal wrote:

System > Cloud is not a choice. ]

Cloud is it's own top level tab (not under system).  The checkmarks should be shown there.  

@jbuchal wrote:

and has a header over the list of these services that says “Internet Unavailable”.

And you need to fix that first.  Once you do the checkmarks should show up on the cloud Tab.

As @Sandshark says, it is likely that you assigned a static IP address to your NAS, and perhaps used your old ISPs DNS server when you set that up.  That won't work if you have a new ISP.   Adding 8.8.8.8 (Google's public DNS server) and/or 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare's public server) to the DNS server list in the NAS would resolve it.

Another approach (better IMO) is to use DHCP in the NAS and reserve the IP address in your routr.

@jbuchal wrote:

but when I forwarded Ports 80, 443 and 6300 to the device's IP address, it still would not connect.  (I would prefer not to forward Port 80, and wasn't sure it was necessary.)

You shouldn't need to forward any of those ports to use ReadyCloud, so I suggest removing the forwarding for now.

BTW, what firmware are you running?

Message 5 of 7
jbuchal
Tutor

Putting in the gateway and 8.8.8.8 IP addresses for DNS servers solved the problem.  Thanks for a quick response.

The "green check mark" thing confused me because the software (firmware version at bottom of first post) does not show a checked/unchecked box status.  The top level Cloud tab says either that there is no internet access, or shows it as working with a green check.

I will experiment with removing port forwarding; I must have remembered that from some older problem.  Thanks again.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Glad it's resolved.

@jbuchal wrote:

I will experiment with removing port forwarding; I must have remembered that from some older problem.  Thanks again.

I'd remove them all.  If ReadyCloud fails, then you can forward 6300 - it doesn't need the others.  You shouldn't need to forward it, because the NAS is making an outbound connection to ReadyCloud (which is allowed by default in almost all home routers).

Port 443 can be forwarded if you want to access the NAS remotely.  If you do that, make sure you have a strong admin password.  Another option there is to use a VPN - many routers now provide OpenVPN support.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements