Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RN104 won't stay connected

drhamad
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN104 won't stay connected

So I'm struggling on every level with my RN104 (I previously had an X6 for many years).

I've solved a couple of problems, but one big one keeps cropping up - the machine will not stay connected to the network. It'll come on for brief periods after being rebooted, then drops off again. It doesn't show up in ReadyCloud or RAIDar, either, and I cannot access it by IP (and cannot access the admin page).

In addition, when this happens, the screen on the device itself still shows the IP (at least, this time) but pressing the power button or backup button does nothing - it seems locked up.

RN10400
OS 6.2.2
3x4 TB drives
Gigabit ethernet

It's just setup to be a backup device (Time Machine from a Mac mini). I'm starting to get worried as it has been a while since the backup has worked.

Edit: Also, this has been happening since well before 6.2.2

Message 1 of 12
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Re: ReadyNAS RN104 won't stay connected

Have you tried connecting your NAS directly to a PC and check if same problem will occur?

Have you tried doing OS reinstall? Check this link:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... xlbQ%3D%3D

Do you have a backup of all data stored in your NAS?
Message 2 of 12
drhamad
Aspirant

The NAS is the backup, not the primary data, so it's not a big deal if I lose it on any given day... but day in and day out is a problem.

I didn't know you could connect a ReadyNAS directly to a computer... just USB to the computer?

I have reset the system before... I'm not sure if I've done an OS reinstall though.

Edit: I'm letting it re-sync right now. I'm expecting that'll take all night and then some (it has only done 9% in the last 3 hours).
Message 3 of 12
RX
Luminary
Luminary

drhamad wrote:
I didn't know you could connect a ReadyNAS directly to a computer... just USB to the computer?

You can connect your NAS directly to a PC using an ethernet cable NOT USB cable.
Message 4 of 12
drhamad
Aspirant

Ixa wrote:
drhamad wrote:

You can connect your NAS directly to a PC using an ethernet cable NOT USB cable.

Interesting. Good to know. Next time it fails I'll have to try that.
Message 5 of 12
drhamad
Aspirant

And it just crashed again.
Message 6 of 12
drhamad
Aspirant

So to add to this, when I try to reset (not that I think that's going to make anything different), it won't let me scroll through the boot menu options... it only let's me choose normal.
Message 7 of 12
drhamad
Aspirant

I just got it reset... and it froze again when finished.
Message 8 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you try 6.2.3 Beta?: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=78866

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?
Message 9 of 12
drhamad
Aspirant

Logs sent and I'll try 6.2.3 in just a few minutes!
Message 10 of 12
drhamad
Aspirant

This is fun... it's frozen on "Installing FW X-RAID2 Mode" during my last reset... haven't even gotten to being able to install 6.2.3 yet.
Message 11 of 12
drhamad
Aspirant

So I tested each drive individually, wiping them all, and got rid of a drive that might have been problematic, inserting a brand new drive in its place.

I then did a factory reset.

Resync still only made it to 13.20%

Edit:

After redoing everything again, i actually managed to upload the 6.2.3 beta to it... but it never was able to reboot.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements