Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RN212 went offline

cjborntorun
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN212 went offline

I've disconnected power from the ReadyNAS for as much as 10 minutes. Turned it back on. No luck. I've been trying to troubleshoot if I might need a firmware update, but how do I do that, if its is offline and I can't see the storage device on my pc?  If you (reader) believe the problem is not the firmware, what else can I try to get this restarted?

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS RN212 went offline

The amount of information you have given is equivalent to "I parked my car in the garage last night, but it won't start this morning."  Please give as much information as you can regarding the conditions under which it worked and the current situation, including anything that may have happened on the NAS or network (Computer OS update, replaced router, errors or warnings in NAS log or emails, etc.).

Absolutely do not attempt a firmware update or OS re-install until you know more about the problem.  One possibility is a too-full OS partition, and those actions will just try and fill it more.

Does RAIDar discover the NAS?  If you remove the drives (with power off, marking them so you put them back in the same places later), does RAIDar then discover it?

Message 2 of 13
cjborntorun
Aspirant

The Windows 10 update happened a week or so ago--that's what happened. I continue to be able to access the ReadyNAS through by LAN when I'm connected at my office, but NOT ReadyCloud.

Message 3 of 13
cjborntorun
Aspirant

Also, you mentioned storage used. No way it's full. I have 2 - 2TB drives and just started using this last June. My last update on the Insight App indicates Storage Use: 229.78GB of 1.81TB

Message 4 of 13
cjborntorun
Aspirant

Why would it be necessary to see if RAIDar discovers the drives, if I can see the ReadyNAS on my LAN just fine? I can also see it by directly going to the IP address. Seems like that would indicate there is nothing wrong with the drives.  I really feel like its a ReadyCloud issue. I am able to download the lengthy list of logs from there. Which one might be helpful to see what/when something went wrong?

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@cjborntorun wrote:

The Windows 10 update happened a week or so ago--that's what happened. I continue to be able to access the ReadyNAS through by LAN when I'm connected at my office, but NOT ReadyCloud.

So you can access both the Web admin page and the Network shares (using File Explorer) when you are the same network as the LAN?

And the only issue is that you cannot access the NAS from the ReadyCloud App? 

Can you access the shares from readycloud.netgear.com?

Message 6 of 13
cjborntorun
Aspirant

NO: Cannot access the NAS from ReadyCLOUD app or readycloud.netgear.com

YES: Can access the NAS from File Explorer on my LAN

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Did you try just rebooting the NAS?

Log into the web admin ui ( https://nas-ip-address/admin ) and look on the cloud page.   There should be two green checks (one for Internet, one for ReadyCloud).  

Also, download the log zip file from the log page.  You can ask one of the Netgear mods to analyze them.

Message 8 of 13
cjborntorun
Aspirant

LOL!  Yes, I tried the obvious first. I rebooted the NAS (tried that several times before seeking help, actually).  I also restarted my Netgear router. That didn't help either.

Message 9 of 13
cjborntorun
Aspirant

I do have the zip file with the logs. I have a PAID subscription for support with Netgear. I submitted the logs to them and spent 2 hours on the phone with Netgear support today. They saw nothing in the logs of consequence, and they can't figure it out either. The person I spoke with, thinks the problem lies on the ReadyCLOUD side, but he had to submit an inquiry to someone on that team to determine. Then I decided to seek help on this Community board while I wait.  **bleep**ty day for small business.

Message 10 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

You may want to look into a VPN that does not rely on ReadyCloud.  IMHO, there are a lot of reasons to do so.  Lack of reliance on Netger for sole support is one of them.  Being able to have a local and remote user use the same user ID is another.

I personally use ZeroTier, which is easy to set up on the NAS and remote computers.  But a VPN that installs on your router is another solution.

Message 11 of 13
cjborntorun
Aspirant

This is the first time in 18 months we've had a problem with the ReadyCloud. The VPN option you mention is new territory for me, but I will look into it. Thank you

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@cjborntorun wrote:

The VPN option you mention is new territory for me, but I will look into it. Thank you

Many newer Netgear routers (including Orbi and Nighthawk) have OpenVPN built in.  So perhaps start with that.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements