Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 - TLS outdated - how to upgrade TLS to 1.2?

Toronto_User
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 - TLS outdated - how to upgrade TLS to 1.2?

Sorry if this is old ground, but I don't want to screw up my ReadyNAS by making an error.

I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus running firmware 4.2.31. I cannot access the admin control panel from Mac or Windows 11. I get an error message: "This connection for this site is not secure. 192.168.1.23 uses an unsupported protocol. ERR_SSL_VERSION _OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH"

The Ultra 4 Plus is running fine in every other way: file shares work, and I can mount them on Mac or Windows. I'm running the Logitech Media Server (LMS) as an add-on and it works fine. But I can't sign on to the front page of the admin.

What I gather from the reading I've done is that the ReadyNAS runs TLS version 1.0 and unless the server runs version 1.2 or higher, no modern web browser can communicate with it. I understand that there's a .bin update package I can run on the server to address this problem, although I'll probably have to get my hands on an older computer running an older version of Firefox - I can do that.

But which is the correct package? I looked at the package at https://github.com/rdynsxtrs/rn4bin/tree/main/ap which says that this package is for servers running an x86 CPU. The Ultra 4 Plus runs the Atom CPU which may not be compatible.

I'm not conversant with SSH or its use in any way. If there's an upgrade .bin package that can do the job, that would be ideal. Can anyone help? Many thanks.

David Basskin
Toronto Canada
Message 1 of 4
microchip8
Master

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 4 - TLS outdated - how to upgrade TLS to 1.2?

Wrong forum. Post in the Storage forum. This forum is for Nighthawk routers.

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Toronto_User wrote:
If there's an upgrade .bin package that can do the job, that would be ideal. Can anyone help? Many thanks.

There is an extensive thread on this topic here:

The short answer is that you can still gain access using internet explorer (or Edge in IE mode).  If you can't do that, then you can still download an old version of firefox (94.0.2 works).

Once in, you can install this add-on:

Note, you can also convert your Ultra to run OS-6 firmware, which would add some more features (including SMB 3 support).

Message 3 of 4
Anton_
Tutor

Yeah, im running the 4 Ultra as well. I recommend running OS 6.
If you dont strongly require to use old OS.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements