Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS online (VPN Disconnected)

McRob1
Luminary

ReadyNAS online (VPN Disconnected)

I have a remote NAS that was able to connect randomly using a windows 10 PC.  I submitted a ticket and it was elevated to level 3 support.  After a month of trying and getting random connections the support manager gave up and closed the case.

For the last week I am unable to connect to the remote NAS using a windows 10 computer.  I even tried to reinstall the readynas desktop application and it has multiple issues when installing.  I have to press ignore multiple times in order to complete the installation.

The NAS is working fine because I can connect to it without any problems if I use two different Mac computers using the desktop application.  I can also connect using any IOS  or Android device.

This appears to be some kind of issue with the Windows Readycloud Desktop application version 1.15.

I just thought I would try one more time to see if Netgear was willing to support their product.

Model: RN51664E|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
McRob1
Luminary

@clnock

Just for your information I wanted to chime in here.

My windows 10 computer was the only one having issues the latest time until Netgear did something with their VPN server.  If you are able to connect to the same NAS using a windows 8 computer then it might be the installation on your windows 10 computers.

I have not found an easy way to get the latest version of readycloud desktop which I see you know is 1.15.  When I search for downloads under my NAS I get readycloud desktop, but it is the old version.  Why Netgear has not updated their links I have no idea.  Go ahead and install the old version first.

Then after installation the program recocnizes that it is not the latest version it automatically installs version 1.15.

You might want to try just for the challange to reinstall readycloud desktop with default settings on one of your Windows 10 computers and see if that works.

It looks like the installation software automatically removes the existing version.

I understand your frustration but you might want to try it and see if it works.  Nothing lost?

I am able to connect today with my windows 10 computer to a remote NAS.  No bets that it will work tomorrow.

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 22

All Replies
Encar
Tutor

Same here: random connections through ReadyCloud on Win10 until last update. Now constantly shows "Online (VPN Disconnected".

The remote NAS remains accessible through a browser though, but a new issue has now appeared: files which names contain special characters - such as "&" - cannot be uploaded anymore (this is irrespective of the browser used).

After the big outage of a few months ago, these products have become too much pain to endure.

Model: RN716X|ReadyNAS 716X Chassis
Message 2 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@Encar wrote:

After the big outage of a few months ago, these products have become too much pain to endure.

There are other options you could look into.  ZeroTier, OwnCloud, OpenVPN...

Message 3 of 22
Encar
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

@Encar wrote:

There are other options you could look into.  ZeroTier, OwnCloud, OpenVPN...

Thanks. Yes, I have started looking at ZeroTier a couple of days ago.

Message 4 of 22
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Encar,

With the error Online (VPN Disconnected) I would recommend you to contact support here and then raise the issue you are encountering and refer to this forum link.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 22
McRob1
Luminary

@Marty_M

My experience with raising the issue with support was a complete waist of time.  As I stated in my original post, after working with a support manager for a month the ticket was closed without resolution.

I would not expect a different solution this time.

I think that moving off to another software solution for windows 10 as was suggested is probably the only stable solution.

Like I said before, I thought I would try one more time with Netgear.  Now I think the best solution is to move on to another product and stop waisting my time.

Message 6 of 22
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@McRob1,

Found out that you have raised the same issue and was handled by a higher tier support, you have option to raised it again through our support site and refer to this forum link.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 22
Kberna1376
Apprentice

Since this is an issue with the 6.7.5 firmware, seems that you folks need to fix this ASAP.

Every time you do an update a whole string of things go wrong.  Why do you not test your products?  This error is not something burried deep in the system, it is something that comes up immediately!

Please repair your system NOW!!

Message 8 of 22
pmjc
Apprentice

I am receiveing the same message online (VPD Dissconnected). I can connect on the web and through my iphone but not using the ready cloud app. Have uninstalled the app and reinstalled (resetting leaf adapter whih has a 169 IP adress by the way). ALso signed and signed out. Looks like the same outage from a few months back. Netgear please advise.

Model: RN10421D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay
Message 9 of 22
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi All,

It seems we did have a problem we our VPN server, a fix has been deployed to address the concern and it should be working now. You may want to check the forum thread here.

Regards,

Marty_M 

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 22
McRob1
Luminary

@Marty_M

It seems very interesting that the VPN server only affects Windows 10 connections and usually not Mac, IOS, or Android devices.

Perhaps some information would help all the user community understand when we should rase an issue or just assume it's our systems.

Message 11 of 22
StephenB
Guru

I've asked for email notifications on service issues before, though that hasn't been done.  You might up-vote that idea here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-for-ReadyNAS/Opt-in-for-emails-related-to-ReadyCloud-...

Message 12 of 22
McRob1
Luminary

@StephenB

I guess if there would have been a notification system in place we all would have found out about it about 2 weeks after the problem actually started.

Maybe it would help if Netgear actually had people to work these kinds of issues soon after they actually happened and not wait for a storm of users telling them that there was a problem.

Message 13 of 22
clnock
Tutor

Still not working for me, still getting the 'VPN Disconnected' message.

Message 14 of 22
clnock
Tutor

By the way... I have three Windows 10 PCs (two PCs and one laptop) and one Windows 8.1 laptop - it's working fine on Windows 8.1 but all three Windows 10 PCs are showing the same 'VPN Disconnected' message.

Message 15 of 22
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@clnock

If the problem persist you may contact our support here raise the same issue and refer to this forum link.

Regards,

Marty_M 

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 16 of 22
clnock
Tutor

Hi Marty,

Thanks for your suggestion. However, I am unable to raise a support request. The only options I have are to raise a free 'Ask our community' request, which brings me back to the forum, or to purchase a premium support option. As the issue is clearly with your service and not my device, as documented well in the forum with other users having similar issues, it's unfair to expect users to purchase a premium support option.

Regards,

Craig.

Message 17 of 22
clnock
Tutor

Marty, FYI I've raise a case 28657752 but I'm prompted to pay to progress.

Message 18 of 22
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@clnock

The concern about the VPN disconnection was already address from our VPN server, as for your case it does appear that it is working on the windows 8 computer but not on the windows 10 computers. I do believe the problem is no longer on the VPN server but possible a minor setting on the windows 10 computer . You may also want to check this forum thread.

Regards,

Marty_M 

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 19 of 22
clnock
Tutor

Hi Marty,

I'm not sure what relevance that thread has? The beta version referenced is a MUCH earlier version than the version I currently have installed. I have v1.15 installed and the beta in the thread you referenced is v1.7 from 2015. All of my Windows 10 PCs were working fine until a few days ago, then ALL of them displayed the same 'VPN Disconnected' error. I've encountered this issue several times before and have let it ride for a few days as I can see the issue is reported in the forums and usually just resolves itself; presumably when you 'fix' the VPN server. There's clearly a wider issue with ReadyCLOUD and Windows 10 PCs as I'm seeing this exact same issue on my work PC (also running Windows 10) that's using ReadyCLOUD on a RN3220. So, four different PCs, two different NAS devices.

Regards,

Craig.

Message 20 of 22
McRob1
Luminary

@clnock

Just for your information I wanted to chime in here.

My windows 10 computer was the only one having issues the latest time until Netgear did something with their VPN server.  If you are able to connect to the same NAS using a windows 8 computer then it might be the installation on your windows 10 computers.

I have not found an easy way to get the latest version of readycloud desktop which I see you know is 1.15.  When I search for downloads under my NAS I get readycloud desktop, but it is the old version.  Why Netgear has not updated their links I have no idea.  Go ahead and install the old version first.

Then after installation the program recocnizes that it is not the latest version it automatically installs version 1.15.

You might want to try just for the challange to reinstall readycloud desktop with default settings on one of your Windows 10 computers and see if that works.

It looks like the installation software automatically removes the existing version.

I understand your frustration but you might want to try it and see if it works.  Nothing lost?

I am able to connect today with my windows 10 computer to a remote NAS.  No bets that it will work tomorrow.

Message 21 of 22
clnock
Tutor

Ok, this has been driving me mad for over 2 weeks - I STILL can't get the ReadyCLOUD desktop app working on my Windows 10 Pro devices. I don't know why, but I have no issues with my Windows 8.1 laptop and ONE of my Windows 10 devices - the only one running Windows 10 Home. ALL of my other (5 in total) Windows 10 devices (all running Windows 10 Pro) have the same issue - i.e. the 'VPN Disconnected' issue. I've chosen one of my devices to run some testing on and have completed the following so far:-

> Uninstalled the ReadyCLOUD app (v1.15), reboot, re-installed the ReadyCLOUD app (v1.15) - same issue

> Uninstalled the ReadyCLOUD app (v1.15), reboot, re-installed an older version of the ReadyCLOUD app (v1.12) and updated to the latest (v1.15) - same issue in both versions

> Reset the device to go back to a clean install of Windows 10 Pro (v1703, build 15063.483), installed ReadyCLOUD app (v1.15) - same issue

> Used the DrayTek Smart VPN client to connect to my home router via an SSL VPN and the ReadyCLOUD app now works, showing 'Connected (Local)'

I've gone through the above troubleshooting several times on the one device. I've also tried uninstalling v1.15, installing v1.12 and updating to v1.15 on two of the other Windows 10 Pro devices but still have the same issue. I'm currently using the DrayTek Smart VPN client to connect me to home just to keep everything in sync. This isn't practical long term as my external IP address changes fairly often so would prefer to get the ReadyCLOUD app working properly. I can't see this being anything other than an issue with the ReadyCLOUD app on Windows 10 Pro, to have it happen on 5 completely independant devices running the same OS can't be a coincidence. As I've committed one device to testing, I'm happy to use it as a guinea pig for any further testing if anyone has any more ideas?

I'm using a ReadyNAS 104 on firmware version 6.7.5. All of my Windows devices are using ReadyCLOUD v1.15. All Windows 10 machines (including the Windows 10 Home machine) have the 'Creators Update' v1703 installed.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements