Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNASRND2000 to NETGEAR RN21200-100NES ReadyNAS 212 2-Bay

andyhogg19
Aspirant

ReadyNASRND2000 to NETGEAR RN21200-100NES ReadyNAS 212 2-Bay

Hi Guys,

I've read a lot of threads on data migration but not sure I can see anything that mirrors my query (apoligies if I've missed a solution)

Having experienced a few issues with my old ReadyNAS (purchased in 2010), and a few relacement HDD's, I've decied to buy a new one (NETGEAR RN21200-100NES ReadyNAS 212 2-Bay with 2 x 4TB WD40EFRX NASware 3.0 Internal Hard Drives)

The old ReadyNAS (ReadyNASRND2000) has 2 x Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 1862 GB.

So my question is, what is the best way to move the data? Can I simply fire up the new NAS and get one of the new HDDs up and running and then plug one of the old in to the second bay? Let it do the mirroring process, then pull out the old HDD, insert the new and let is re-mirror again? I am wondering if it's possible for it to be so straightforward (and I doubt it!).

Many thanks for any help.

Andy

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNASRND2000 to NETGEAR RN21200-100NES ReadyNAS 212 2-Bay

You can't directly migrate the disks.  The closest you can get to that is to arrange for Netgear paid support to temporarily mount the disks in the RN212 - then you'd need to copy the data to other storage, so it isn't useful if your duo is still working.  https://kb.netgear.com/29876/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-1-or-RAIDiator-5-3-to-ReadyNA...

If your duo is working, then you can simply set up the RN212 with the new disks and use the built-in backup jobs to transfer the files from the Duo to the RN212.  I use rsync for this - not the fastest method with the Duo, but it is reliable.  NFS or even SMB/CIFS will also work.  I back up one share at a time.

If your duo isn't working, then you can connect disk 1 to a Windows PC (a USB adapter/dock is ok), and use R-linux for Windows to access the data.  Or you can use paid support as outlined above.  https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/

Message 2 of 5
andyhogg19
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply, the duo is still working so I am very interested in this piece of your reply..

If your duo is working, then you can simply set up the RN212 with the new disks and use the built-in backup jobs to transfer the files from the Duo to the RN212.  I use rsync for this - not the fastest method with the Duo, but it is reliable.  NFS or even SMB/CIFS will also work.  I back up one share at a time.

So I think you are advising me to set up the new NAS with the new disks..I think I can do that without too much difficulty. I am not sure of the next step..the built in back up jobs to teamsfer the files from the Duo to RN212. Can you epxand a little please? Many thanks

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@andyhogg19 wrote:

I am not sure of the next step..the built in back up jobs to transfer the files from the Duo to RN212. Can you expand a little please? 

Both the Duo and the RN212 have built in backup jobs, and you could either "push" the files from the Duo, or "pull" them from the RN212.

Assuming "pull", you first need to enable rsync on the Duo (both as a service, and also for each share).

Then you create destination shares on the RN212 (it's simplest to match the shares you already have).

The source host for the backup job is simply the IP address of the duo.  The source path is the share name.  The destination path is the share name on the RN212. 

After the backup completes, you should reset the file permissions and owners (done from the settings wheel for the share in the RN212).

Home shares are a bit more complicated.  If you use them, it might be simpler to do a drag/drop from Windows (or MacOS).  Personally I don't use them (and I don't see much need for them for home users).

If you have issues doing any of this, you can just post back here.

BTW, after you are up and running on the RN212, you can continue to use your duo as a backup NAS - running scheduled daily rsync backup jobs to keep your duo in sync with the RN212.  

Message 4 of 5
andyhogg19
Aspirant

Really appreciate the fast response. New NAS is due to arrive Wednesday, so I'll get it up and running and try this. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements