Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas RN204

websfia
Follower

ReadyNas RN204

My ReadyNas was saying degraded data on the LCD screen so I turned it off (hit power 3 times) and then turned it back on. Now the screen has been saying booting for the last 36 hours. How do I fix this 

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 1 of 2
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNas RN204

Unfortunately, turning it off was not the right action.  While still running, the user interface could have told you why the volume is degraded.  Most likely, one of the drives has failed.  But now, you have to use other means to figure out which one.  The best option is to use vendor tools (such as Seatools) on a PC and check each drive.  You can either use a USB dock or directly attach the drive to an internal SATA port.  The PC will not recognize the drive format, but the drive tool will be able to test if the drive is OK.  Just don't do any destructive tests.

Another option is to use the boot menu and do a drive test on the NAS.  It's very long and not as thorough as the vendor tools.

Lastly, you could just try booting with every 3-drive (assuming you normally have 4) combination (using read-only mode is best) and see if it will boot that way.

Once you figure out which drives are good, and assuming all but one are, boot it normally with those good drives, and then you'll need to replace the bad one and let it sync.  It is always a good idea to make sure your backup is up to date before starting to sync a new drive, as it puts a strain on the others.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements