Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas214 - I want files to show in my Mac like other drives....over the internet

cjromb
Aspirant

ReadyNas214 - I want files to show in my Mac like other drives....over the internet

I just bought my first ReadyNas 4 bay storage unit.  I can access it via the ReadyNas site when I'm away from its location, and I can access it via SMB, when I'm on the same LAN.

However, what I'd LIKE, is to have it show up like a regular drive that I can choose from Finder on my Mac, or choose when I open a File Open Dialog in an application on my Mac, ala Google Drive, or like a portable hard drive I have plugged into my Mac.

How can I accomplish this?

Thank you in advance for your help

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas214 - I want files to show in my Mac like other drives....over the internet

I'm not a mac user, but I do see some articles and videos that show how to map a network drive persistently on a mac.  So perhap try googling those first.

Doing this remotely would require a VPN of some sort.  OpenVPN is built into several routers, ZeroTier is another option.  ReadyCloud might do what you want (again I am not a mac user).

Message 2 of 4
cjromb
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply!  I already have it persisting locally.  I'm trying to figure out how to get it to show up remotely, so it's available in Finder and in an Open or Save File dialog.

I have googled, of course, but I was trying to figure out if there was already NetGear software, or if a VPN was the way to go?  I don't want to just guess at what the best way is...and end up leaving security holes in my network.

Sounds like it's going to be a combination of router and drive bay configuration.   

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

I use OpenVPN in my router for this myself. The ReadyCloud application should also give you direct access (using it's own VPN).  ZeroTier also works - it uses SDN (software defined networking), which has similar security properties to a VPN.

With OpenVPN, the server is directly under your control, the other two require you to trust the provider (ZeroTier or Netgear).  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements