Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadySHARE works but ReadyCLOUD cannot discover USB_Storage HDD connected to my R7000 router.

Tomski72
Guide

ReadySHARE works but ReadyCLOUD cannot discover USB_Storage HDD connected to my R7000 router.

I have an Iomega Prestige USB 2.0, 500 GB desktop HD connected to the USB 2.0 port on the back of my newly installed R7000 router.  I was able to map the HD as the U: drive using Windows 10 on my desktop computer, and I can access the HD and its contents on my desktop Win 10 PC using Windows File Explorer under both This PC > USB_Storage (\\READYSHARE) (U:) and Network > READYSHARE > USB_Storage directories.  

In the Netgear Genie Windows app, you can see in the USB Storage (Basic Settings) screen that there is an Available Network Folder set up with the Share Name of \\readyshare\USB_Storage, however you cannot access this device from the Windows Genie app.  Conversely, iin the Genie app on my iPhone, I can access the contents of the USB_Storage HD directly from the ReadySHARE icon in the iPhone Genie app.  Nice programming job there.  

I have tried all recommended ways to get ReadyCLOUD to discover the ReadySHARE USB_Storage HD device, but ReadyCLOUD cannot discover it.  I am baffled. My R7000 has the latest firmware installed, v1.0.9.6.  The Iomega Prestige HD is a plain Jane HD; it's not listed as a NAS device, but it is working like one when I access ReadySHARE using Genie on my iPhone 6+ running the latest iOS 10.3.2.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Tomski72
Guide

Re: ReadySHARE works but ReadyCLOUD cannot discover USB_Storage HDD connected to my R7000 router.

Deniro, if I go to the ReadyCLOUD Portal and try to create a ReadyCLOUD account, I eventually end up at the screen shown below:

Result of Create ReadyCLOUD Account.png

No matter from what NetGear-initiated screen you are on, if you click on a ReadyCloud page that says to click here to create a ReadyCLOUD account, you will always end up on the above page.  Then to prceed, you must click on the "Discover" option which leads to the Catch 22 where ReadyCLOUD cannot discover your device, so you can never create a ReadyCLOUD account because the device will never be discovered.

However, I had a "Eueka!" moment.  If I started at the R7000 router page below:

Do not create ReadyCLOUD account.png

The key to this screen (and all other NetGear pages that tell you to create a ReadyCLOUD account) is to NOT click anywhere it says to create ReadyCLOUD account by clicking here.  Instead, Ignore these instructions and on this page (above), simply enter the User Name and Password that you used to register your router with NetGear!

This advice to ignore the NetGear instructions should be passed on to all the NetGear tecnical support staff, and to someone in charge of writing all the tech support articles (I must have read at least 10 to 15 of them), and to the person in charge of programming the above screen.  All that needs to be changed on this screen is to add the sentence: "If you have already registered your router with NetGear, you can simply enter your NetGear login credentials here, and a ReadyCLOUD account will automatically be created (ignore all the "Click here" options shown above to create a ReadyCLOUD account)."

Deniro, if you have influence with the NetGear support/technical staff, could you please pass on my thoughts and recommendations.  I spent a couple of hours with tech support staff, probably 6 hours reading and studying NetGear articles, and 8 hours trying everything I could to make this work before I simply ignored all the instructions that said I had to create a ReadyCLOUD account before I could do anything else.  This is not true if I have already created a NetGear account for my router!

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
Tomski72
Guide

Re: ReadySHARE works but ReadyCLOUD cannot discover USB_Storage HDD connected to my R7000 router.

I need to add that I have also tried to ReadyCLOUD "discover" the HD by inputting its serial number.  Also, RAIDar cannot discover the HD.

Message 2 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hello Tomski72

ReadyCLOUD does not support router device discovery,you can register your router device in Router admin GUI directly.

to register ReadyCLOUD on router please check below URL link

http://readycloud.netgear.com/client/en/router-setup.html

Message 3 of 10
Tomski72
Guide

Deniro, thank you for your reply and suggestion.  All I can say is, "Been there, done that."  No matter how I try to do this (and there are several ways to get there), I always end up at the following page:

http://readycloud.netgear.com/client/index.html#page=access

The process to create a ReadyCLOUD account (no matter where you start from) always starts with "If you do not have a ReadyCLOUD account, click here and click on "Create Account"."  When you click "here" to create a ReadyCLOUD Account, you are sent to the above link.  ReadyCLOUD will not let you create a ReadyCLOUD account unless you have a registered storage device.  And if ReadyCLOUD cannot discover my shared storage device, it will not let me create an account.

It's really a "Catch 22."  My router is registered, but ReadyCLOUD doesn't care.  I cannot create a ReadyCLOUD accout without it discovering a storage device.  If there was someway to create a ReadyCLOUD account without doing that first, maybe it would work.  But there is no way to create the account without a "Discovery."

Message 4 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hello Tomski72

have you registered ReadyCLOUD on your router with your MyNETGEAR account?you can create MyNETGEAR account in ReadyCLOUD portal

Message 5 of 10
Tomski72
Guide

Deniro, if I go to the ReadyCLOUD Portal and try to create a ReadyCLOUD account, I eventually end up at the screen shown below:

Well, I don't know how to paste a screenshot into this forum's discussion pages.  Could you please tell me what kind of file is allowed to be pasted into this discussion, or do I need some special permission?

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Tomski72 wrote:

do I need some special permission?

I think you just need a higher post count (though I'm not sure what the threshold is).

If you are allowed to post screenshots, you'll see an insert/edit image icon on the rich text toolbar - immediately to the right of the hyperlink icon.

If you don't have that, you can still post a hyperlink to an image shared in dropbox, google drive, etc.

Message 7 of 10
Tomski72
Guide

Stephen B:  The ability to paste images into the forum discussion must be related to a higher post count, because the insert/edit image icon on the rich text toolbar has just now appeared.  It was not there on previous posts when I tried to paste a screenshot.  Thank you for the insight.  I will now reply to Deniro in a separate post.

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad you have the control now.  Generally PNG is the best format.  Best not to rescale it.

Message 9 of 10
Tomski72
Guide

Result of Create ReadyCLOUD Account.png

No matter from what NetGear-initiated screen you are on, if you click on a ReadyCloud page that says to click here to create a ReadyCLOUD account, you will always end up on the above page.  Then to prceed, you must click on the "Discover" option which leads to the Catch 22 where ReadyCLOUD cannot discover your device, so you can never create a ReadyCLOUD account because the device will never be discovered.

However, I had a "Eueka!" moment.  If I started at the R7000 router page below:

Do not create ReadyCLOUD account.png

The key to this screen (and all other NetGear pages that tell you to create a ReadyCLOUD account) is to NOT click anywhere it says to create ReadyCLOUD account by clicking here.  Instead, Ignore these instructions and on this page (above), simply enter the User Name and Password that you used to register your router with NetGear!

This advice to ignore the NetGear instructions should be passed on to all the NetGear tecnical support staff, and to someone in charge of writing all the tech support articles (I must have read at least 10 to 15 of them), and to the person in charge of programming the above screen.  All that needs to be changed on this screen is to add the sentence: "If you have already registered your router with NetGear, you can simply enter your NetGear login credentials here, and a ReadyCLOUD account will automatically be created (ignore all the "Click here" options shown above to create a ReadyCLOUD account)."

Deniro, if you have influence with the NetGear support/technical staff, could you please pass on my thoughts and recommendations.  I spent a couple of hours with tech support staff, probably 6 hours reading and studying NetGear articles, and 8 hours trying everything I could to make this work before I simply ignored all the instructions that said I had to create a ReadyCLOUD account before I could do anything else.  This is not true if I have already created a NetGear account for my router!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements