Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas Duo V2 - All files missing

Phil_B
Aspirant

Readynas Duo V2 - All files missing

Hi 

I have a ReadyNAS Duo v2 with 2 4Tb Drives configured as RAID0.  

I have been on holiday for the past few weeks and turned the power off to my computer systems including the NAS while away.  On return and powering up the NAS again, all the files (about 3Tb worth) and all the directory structure other than the top-level directories (media & backup) are all gone.  Is there a way to recover the files (my main system which accesses the NAS is a Mac Mini with macOS Mojave ver 10.14)????  E.g. a file recovery program that will work across the network to analyse the NAS?  Any other methods?

Why/how would the files be deleted after an extended power of state?

Thanks in advance for any assistance 

Phil

Model: ReadyNASRND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Phil_B wrote:

Why/how would the files be deleted after an extended power of state?

The logs might provide a clue.  You can PM (private message) @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V and ask them to take a look.  Don't post a link to your logs here - they shouldn't be posted publicly.

RAID-0 is very fragile - if either disk fails, all the data on both drives is lost.  Also, if you shut down the NAS uncleanly (for instance disconnecting power), there might have been lost writes that would result in the two disk being out-of-sync.

Netgear does offer a data recovery service ( https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service ).  There are other third-party recovery services out there you could try.

R-Studio recovery software is available for Mac, so that is worth a try: https://www.r-studio.com/data_recovery_macintosh/  You would need a way to connect the disks to the Mac (USB adapter/dock or directly via SATA).  R-Studio will let you see what files it might recover before you purchase it. 

Message 2 of 4
Phil_B
Aspirant

I'm just scanning through the logs.  There are multiple entries in the daemon.log file on the day iI turned the system back on :

nas-##-##-## cnid_dbd[2775]: Error opening lockfile: Read-only file system
nas-##-##-## cnid_dbd[2775]: main: fatal db lock error

nas-##-##-## cnid_metad[2776]: Multiple attempts to start CNID db daemon for "/c/media" failed, wiping the slate clean...

there are multiple similar entries where cnid-dbd[####] where #### = 2770-3219

Certainly sounds ominous ....

In further developments, I can see a complete directory listing from my Win10 PC which shows all the files and their correct size, hoever, if I try to copy any file off the NAS, I only get a zero byte file.

Phil

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

This points to the need for data recovery (as suggested above).

The CNID errors are related to the AFP protocol.  But since you are also seeing issues with SMB/Windows, the underlying problem is with the file system itself.  Are you seeing any errors pointing to disk i/o or file system errors?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements