Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remote ShutDown via ReadyCloud

Xatosch
Apprentice

Remote ShutDown via ReadyCloud

At Times where smart homes are not so expensive, it is easy via Philips hue to "plug in" a readynas device and access it a few seconds later via ReadyCloud, or for me to access the installed plex server.

But how can I gracefully shutdown the device after watching a movie? So, shutdown and then unplug it... the admin page can't be accessed, there comes a message only via local network...

Regarfs, Kai

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Remote ShutDown via ReadyCloud

In OS 6.9.0, you can set a power-down time without setting a power-on time.  I'm not a ReadyCloud user so don't know if you can set that via ReadyCloud.  If you can, just set it for the next hour when you finish using it.  If you can't, you could at least set it to turn off at a specific time every night when you are away (just remmeber to disable it when you return).

A somewhat clunky way to implement that would be to use an UPS where the turn-off time and automatic power-on after power restoration can be set.  Set the turn-off threshold of the NAS above that of the UPS.  You turn the power off and when the UPS runs down to the set point, it signals the NAS to shut down.  Of course, in a real power outage situation, this could be unwanted.

Another would be to also power on a PC where you can use one of the remote access methods to access the NAS local interface.

But the VPN solution is certainly the cleanest,  You may also want to make a suggestion in the Idea Exchange that shut-down be allowed via ReadyCloud.  Since for some that would be a bad idea, it definately would need an "are you sure", and maybe even an enable/disable of the function.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I have no idea what the Philips thing can do.

That said, the NAS supports Wake-on-LAN, so it can be started up by another device on your network.  Of course it will take a while for it to boot up.

It is possible to shut down the NAS via http - there's an old post here that shows how:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Remote-shutdown-on-OS-6/m-p/846138/highlight/tr... I haven't tried it, and it's possible that it might need some modifications with the current firmware.

If you aren't on your home network, you could use a VPN of some sort to gain access.  You can't use the ReadyCloud VPN, since the NAS terminates the connection (so it wouldn't be possible to start up the NAS from ReadyCloud).

Message 2 of 9
Xatosch
Apprentice

The Philips Hue is able to switch on a plug socket via Internet. If I am on holiday my nas has no power, because the plug socket is off, and switching it on will power on the nas... after boot time, I can access it via ReadyCloud, that way works...

but if I do not need the nas anymore, how can i shutdown the device before switching the plug socket off?

On the admin page, there is a "shutdown", but I can not access the admin page over the internet...

Message 3 of 9
Guide

Hi 

Daß die NAS automatisch hochfährt funktioniert nur weil sie glaubt es war ein Stromausfall, wenn du die Steckdose ausschaltest und einschaltest. Wenn du die NAS runterfährst wirst du sie nicht mehr starten können.

Grüße 3100

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Xatosch wrote:

On the admin page, there is a "shutdown", but I can not access the admin page over the internet...

Actually you can, if you enable HTTPS and forward a port for it in your router.  You'd also need DDNS to reach your home network using a URL/name.

But it'd be better to start it up with wake-on-lan - for instance over OpenVPN so you could do that while away from home.  A VPN would also be a better way to access the admin page (port forwarding has some security risks).

Message 5 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

In OS 6.9.0, you can set a power-down time without setting a power-on time.  I'm not a ReadyCloud user so don't know if you can set that via ReadyCloud.  If you can, just set it for the next hour when you finish using it.  If you can't, you could at least set it to turn off at a specific time every night when you are away (just remmeber to disable it when you return).

A somewhat clunky way to implement that would be to use an UPS where the turn-off time and automatic power-on after power restoration can be set.  Set the turn-off threshold of the NAS above that of the UPS.  You turn the power off and when the UPS runs down to the set point, it signals the NAS to shut down.  Of course, in a real power outage situation, this could be unwanted.

Another would be to also power on a PC where you can use one of the remote access methods to access the NAS local interface.

But the VPN solution is certainly the cleanest,  You may also want to make a suggestion in the Idea Exchange that shut-down be allowed via ReadyCloud.  Since for some that would be a bad idea, it definately would need an "are you sure", and maybe even an enable/disable of the function.

Message 6 of 9
ManuelA
Guide

Xatosch wrote: 

The ReadyCloud app (Windows/Mac) allows you to access the admin page from the internet. There is a direct link available below the name of the NAS if I'm not mistaking. 

Message 7 of 9
Xatosch
Apprentice

>> Wenn du die NAS runterfährst wirst du sie nicht mehr starten können.

Natürlich, nach dem Runterfahren schalte ich die Steckdose ja wieder aus, damit beim nächsten Einschalten das NAS wieder hochfährt. Nur ist es unschön ein "laufendes" einfach per Schaltsteckdose wieder auszuschalten. Daher geht es mir hier um den sicheren Shutdown per Internet...

Message 8 of 9
Xatosch
Apprentice

> But the VPN solution is certainly the cleanest

I have tried VPN with my new Fritzbox 7490 and it works good, i can access via ip the admin page and gracefully shutdown the device and then via hue unplug the voltage.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements