Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Remote access on 102

barryd
Aspirant

Remote access on 102

Hello

I have a client with a 2 bay 102 device.  Not sure at the moment what firmware its running but its been in place two or three years, I suspect its not been updated.

They have a second site now with a couple of users that will need to retreive documents off the server in a documents folder on the NAS over the internet.

What is the best way to do this?  Is it Readynas Remote or Ready Cloud.  Im a bit out of touch so just need some pointers.  At the moment there are just three people in the main office with a desktop link to a documents folder.  There are no users set up or permissions or anything like that.  Everyone has equal access.  I just want to replicate that at the remote site.

Model: RN10221D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

ReadyCloud is one option, but you'd need to upgrade the firmware before you set it up.  http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31221/~/readynas-os-6-software-version-6.6.0?cid=wmt_n...

Note the warnings in the link above - if the firmware is old, you will need to upgrade in steps.

Another option is to set up a VPN between the two sites (though that likely requires upgrading the routers).  Then everyone would access the NAS directly (and would also have full access to the combined network).

If they have the resources, they should consider a backup RN102 in the new office.

Message 2 of 8
barryd
Aspirant

Thanks.  I seem to remember Readycloud being mentioned when I set it up so what firmware is needed to run it?  Last time I upgraded the firmware on one of these it caused all sorts of issues.  I think it might be 6.2.5 but could be later.

Is there a guide anywhere to setting up Readycloud and what it does? 

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Message 4 of 8
barryd
Aspirant

thats  great Stephen thanks.

Ill read it all later but just so I am clear once installed will I be able to put a shortcut on the two computers in the remote office to the shared documents folder on the Readynas in the main office?  Just like they currently have locally?

EDIT: at the moment they dont have to put in passwords or anything, its just an open share.  Would like to keep it that way

Message 5 of 8
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi barryd,

You would need to use the ReadyCloud desktop app or visit readycloud.netgear.com in order for you to access the ReadyNAS remotely.

Using the traditional site to site VPN will most likely allow you to add a shortcut (mapped drive).

Regards,

Message 6 of 8
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hibarryd

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 7 of 8
barryd
Aspirant

Thanks for the further replies.  Still looking into it as the internet connection at one end is at the moment via a 3g router and unreliable.  We are looking to upgrade that to a wifi system (NO adsl available) so not sure about a VPN.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements