Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remote access via ReadyCloud Desktop sometimes works, sometimes doesn't

eve-gcm
Aspirant

Remote access via ReadyCloud Desktop sometimes works, sometimes doesn't

Hi there

We are a small business on our 5th year of owning three ReadyNas 314 boxes, two are linked to ReadyCloud

The NAS1 is the one we use daily, then this backs up each night to NAS2. NAS3 is a manual back up we have off-site, so not currently connected anywhere.

We are currently having to work remotely, so aren't in the office and we use the ReadyCloud desktop app to access the server during this time. Sometimes we can connect to the NAS1 perfectly fine, sometimes not. I will log out, refresh, exit, turn on&off computer, try a different computer, try different connection, nothing works. Then other times it will work fine on one computer, while not working on another computer on the same network. There doesn't seem to be any logical reason for it. Right now, I can access the NAS2 box fine, but not NAS 1. Both boxes are on the same network, both are updated.

I can log into the web-based ReadyCloud and access the files that way, but need the Desktop version to work otherwise it's a very slow process. 

Screengrab below of what I am seeing, so I can see the diff folders and when I click on them, the wheel spins for a few seconds but doesn't open anything. If I do this on the NAS2 files, they open fine. Normally it just pops open a window and lets me get to the files. I don't want to sync it with the computer because it's a huge amount of data.

I have read a few similar issues, people getting it say "VPN Disconnected" and that is also an issue I have sometimes, it really likes to change the problems regularly. Sometimes a refresh or log out will fix the issue, other times there doesn't seem to be anything that will fix it. I have also tried uninstalling & reinstalling the software. I have tried removing my firewall, changed the ReadyCloud settings to turn off encryption and specify port TCP 6300. 

I have a pretty basic understanding of all of this so don't know many of the terms or what the settings really do, but am pretty desperate so trying a lot of trial and error and probably making a mess of things.

Comparing the admin pages for NAS1 and NAS2 and trying to make the settings the same, but nothing has worked. Also, there's every chance the NAS2 is just deciding to work right now, then tomorrow will have the same issues - I don't use it often enough to know for sure. Obviously I can get all of the files from the NAS2 back up but my staff need it so be as simple and can't do the workarounds / I don't want them to play with any settings on their computers when I'm not there.

I don't think the ReadyCloud Desktop app has ever really worked properly, I'm usually the only one that every has to try and use it and we didn't need it in those first years, but I started using it about 3 years ago and have always had the issue of it sometimes connecting and sometimes playing up. I don't imagine there are any issues with the settings if it connects fine sometimes. Is it a bug with the program itself?

Sorry for the novel but this has been steadily driving me crazy for months - lucky we are in New Zealand and haven't needed to work remotely very often! I have just got everyone new computers so that we could work remotely efficiently, and this is literally the only remaining hurdle!
I have tried to contact support but it won't let me purchase a support subscription so hoping someone will have some tips. We were planning to purchase a new system now that this is near it's hardware warranty ending, but if this ReadyCloud is a perpetually buggy system, I will look for something else.

Thanks for any help!

Eve

Untitled2.jpg

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Remote access via ReadyCloud Desktop sometimes works, sometimes doesn't

While ReadyCloud was a fine quick solution for folks who suddenly had to work from home due to COVID, I don't recommend it as a permanent solution for a business.  In fact, I don't use it at all for even personal stuff.  The reasons are many:  Your situation doesn't seem uncommon, based on posts here, especially associated with updates to any Apple OS.  It relies on the Netgear server being up and reachable.  It's limited to Netgear and whatever they decide to support.

A better VPN is what I recommend.  That won't have any sync capability built in, if you even use that, but there are plenty of sync solutions that work over a VPN.

I personally use ZeroTier as my VPN.  In addition to everything I can do with ReadyCloud, my main and remote NAS can do backups over it, I use the same login credentials whether local or remote, and I can put it on pretty much any Linux, Windows, Mac, Andriod, or IOS system I want, including another brand of NAS.  Zerotier does also rely on an external server as the initial "operator", but it has proven to be reliable.

OpenVPN is another option, especially if it's built in to your router.  It does not rely on any server not within your own control and it can allow you do do the same stuff I do via ZeroTier.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

While ReadyCloud was a fine quick solution for folks who suddenly had to work from home due to COVID, I don't recommend it as a permanent solution for a business.  In fact, I don't use it at all for even personal stuff.  The reasons are many:  Your situation doesn't seem uncommon, based on posts here, especially associated with updates to any Apple OS.  It relies on the Netgear server being up and reachable.  It's limited to Netgear and whatever they decide to support.

A better VPN is what I recommend.  That won't have any sync capability built in, if you even use that, but there are plenty of sync solutions that work over a VPN.

I personally use ZeroTier as my VPN.  In addition to everything I can do with ReadyCloud, my main and remote NAS can do backups over it, I use the same login credentials whether local or remote, and I can put it on pretty much any Linux, Windows, Mac, Andriod, or IOS system I want, including another brand of NAS.  Zerotier does also rely on an external server as the initial "operator", but it has proven to be reliable.

OpenVPN is another option, especially if it's built in to your router.  It does not rely on any server not within your own control and it can allow you do do the same stuff I do via ZeroTier.

Message 2 of 3
eve-gcm
Aspirant

You are my favourite person in the world, thank you so much! It is working perfectly!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements