Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Replacement path for failed ReadyNas?

twayf3
Follower

Replacement path for failed ReadyNas?

HI Community, I just moved and my RN10400 won't boot now (seemingly faulty power connection, maybe in the PSU, as if I fiddle with the cable sometimes i see a light flash.

I'm thinking of getting a new version, but what RN is the latest that I can drop my 4 drives into and it function without wiping my data? Otherwise, has anyone had success swapping a power supply?

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

You can drop your drives into any current ReadyNAS.  Since your 104 is an ARM based system, if you are moving to an Intel based system (300 series or higher, you should delete any apps before the migration, then reinstall once migrated.

For better expandability (add drives, instead of replacing), you might want to consider a 6 or 8 bay NAS.  You also get away from the "power brick" with those.

It does sound like you may have a cracked solder joint on the NAS power connector or a bad cable on the power brick.  The brick is replaceable, and solder joints are fairly easy to repair, if you have an appropriate iron.  But the 104 is an older, entry-level NAS, and updating may be in your best interest, anyway.

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

You can drop your drives into any current ReadyNAS.  Since your 104 is an ARM based system, if you are moving to an Intel based system (300 series or higher, you should delete any apps before the migration, then reinstall once migrated.

You can migrate to an Intel-based NAS, but it is a bit simpler to migrate to an RN214 (which is also Arm).  As @Sandshark says, the apps aren't converted from Arm -> Intel.  But you won't be able to handle that before migration because your NAS won't boot.

If you do go with Intel, I recommend installing a scratch disk first, and making sure the new NAS is running the same firmware as you had in the RN104.  Then power down and migrate.  It's supposed to handle the situation where the firmware isn't matched, but I think there are some corner cases when you are migrating Arm->Intel that might not be handled correctly.

FWIW, the RN214's performance is similar to the RN300 series, and all currently shipping ReadyNAS are faster than the RN104.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements