Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SmartScreen Unknown Publisher Windows 10 Prompt Duriing ReadyCloud App Setup

E_Rado
Aspirant

SmartScreen Unknown Publisher Windows 10 Prompt Duriing ReadyCloud App Setup

Hi everyone,

Upon clicking the ReadyCloudSetup.exe file for the ReadyCloud app for Windows 10, I get a SmartScreen prompt warning. It says "unknown publisher" but the prompt is not the usual UAC prompt that we get in the previous versions of Windows. This is the first time I am trying to install the app. I usually contact the author of the program to remind of this and wait for a few days before installing to make sure that I get the correct version.

Do we have a properly certified or digitally signed version of the ReadyCloud app installer? I just want to make sure that what we're getting is the actual proper version.

Thanks,

E

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 9
E_Rado
Aspirant

Re: SmartScreen Unknown Publisher Windows 10 Prompt Duriing ReadyCloud App Setup

Is anyone experiencing this as well?
Message 2 of 9
E_Rado
Aspirant

Re: SmartScreen Unknown Publisher Windows 10 Prompt Duriing ReadyCloud App Setup

I found out that another user has a similar issue regarding the app: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyCLOUD/Anti-virus-detects-malware-in-Readycloudsetup-exe-W32-Ma...

It seems that the SmartScreen filter does not trust the one that is directly downloaded from the ReadyCloud portal. I want to get an assurance that the download is safe and the source is not hijacked.

Can anyone give an insight to this?

Thanks,

Message 3 of 9
E_Rado
Aspirant

Does anyone from Netgear have any insights on this matter?
Message 4 of 9
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

We are aware of this issue, this is due to SHA-1 support in our existing digital signature that was obsoleted by Windows 10. The file itself is not corrupted, you can launch it after downloading it by ignoring the message. We are working on getting a new signature with SHA-2 support.

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

If you are interested in knowing why SHA-1 is being deprecated, there is some information here: https://sites.google.com/site/itstheshappening/

The concern is that SHA-1 certs will soon be forgable if you are prepared to spend enough on cloud computing resources.  The plan is to deprecate SHA-1 before that becomes practical.  

Message 6 of 9
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

We're aware of this issue with most browsers. I can't reproduce it in Chrome. The binary is actually okay, but Firefox/IE/Edge are prompting this message. We plan to fix it in an upcoming build of ReadyCLOUD App. 

Message 7 of 9
E_Rado
Aspirant

Thanks for your replies.

I see now. Will we be informed if in case you already have the updated SHA-2 signature?

Thanks,

Message 8 of 9
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

Sorry for the late response. The new Windows ReadyCLOUD app with updated digital signature to support the new SHA-256 was published a few weeks ago. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements