Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Synching RN422 files with Surface tablet

Maxter
Aspirant

Synching RN422 files with Surface tablet

I have an RN422 with OS 6.7.3

I am a new user, currently I have an MS Surface Pro 3 (Win 10 Pro) and an iPad accessing files on the RN422 via Readycloud. Can anyone recommend a reliable way to synchronize files on the RN422 with files on the  Surface Pro 3 and iPad across the internet?

I have tried the the Readycloud App but after spending may hours the app will not work, message is "synchronization offline".  Netgear support has been unsuccessful at resolving this problem.

Even if the Readycloud app did work, it would not be a good solution for me because the synched files are stored on the C: drive of the tablet, which is limited to 64 GB on my Surface Pro 3, and does not have very much free space (6 GB at best). 

Can you recommend a good way to sych files on the RN422 over the internet, that does not include storing synched files on the C: drive?

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you.

Model: RN422|ReadyNAS 422 2-Bay with up to 20 TB total storage
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Synching RN422 files with Surface tablet

To some degree this depends on your goal.  If your goal is to back up data on the surface, then two-way sync isn't a very good approach (since data loss on either system propagates).  

For me, syncing is mainly for media files, and I want it to be selective - full copies on the NAS, but not on the client devices.  Resilio sync has worked out reasonably well; plex sync appears similar (and I'll probably test that out when I have a chance).  I run Resilio sync on a PC, I'm not using the NAS app.

If you want to automatically sync documents, etc to a NAS folder, then I don't think Resilio sync is the best tool (folder deletions in particular don't seem to reliably propagate).

Message 2 of 4
Maxter
Aspirant

Thank you for replying.

In my case the synching application will be used mostly for data files. My goal is access frequently used files residing on the RN422 from my Surface tablet without having to donwload or copy them from the RN422 each time the files are used and then having to  upload or copy them back to the RN422.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

You could try the google drive feature, though that will limit the amount of data to what fits on your google drive.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements