Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to stream music and video through readycloud app to my mobile

Scruff24
Aspirant

Unable to stream music and video through readycloud app to my mobile

I have been unable to stream music and video through readycloud app to my mobile phone. I am running Android 11. I used to be able to stream content and then something must have changed. I am on the latest version or ReadyNas.

Does anyone have an idea what changed? Doesn't matter if I am on the home network or trying over 5G.

Any suggestions or answers are appreciated. After all, I shouldn't have to download a file to my phone just to be able to access it.
Message 1 of 17
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Scruff24

Welcome to the Community!

Are you getting any errors when trying to donwload/play the file? what extensions it has?

It might be possible that your cache is full. Try clearing or increasing the cache.

HTH

Message 2 of 17
Scruff24
Aspirant

Thank you for responding. I have the cache expanded to 8192kb . I have clicked clear cache. Same issue.
I don't have any issue downloading the file and then playing it.
Message 3 of 17
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Scruff24

Have you tried reinstalling the app? also, try to toggle the ReadyCloud service or reboot your NAS

Message 4 of 17
Scruff24
Aspirant

Marc, I have tried reinstalling the app and rebooting the NAS. You mentioned to toggle the service. How do you do that?
Message 5 of 17
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Scruff24

You may have to try and leave the NAS from ReadyCloud and rejoin again. You can toggle or leave ReadyCloud by going to the Cloud tab.

Message 6 of 17
Scruff24
Aspirant

Marc,

I left the readycloud and then I could not get back into my drive. (or re-sync it to ready cloud)

I have since removed my hard drive from the Readynas and reset the password on the system so that I could get back in (By pushing the button on the back and powering on) ....which worked...but I still cannot access my data on the drive. (after inserting it back into the readynas.  The drive was out of the readynas when I did the password reset.  (as I had read that otherwise the drive would be formatted.)

How can I create a volume without formatting my drive and losing my data?

Message 7 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

@Scruff24 wrote:

Marc,

I have since removed my hard drive from the Readynas and reset the password on the system so that I could get back in (By pushing the button on the back and powering on) ....which worked...but I still cannot access my data on the drive. (after inserting it back into the readynas.  The drive was out of the readynas when I did the password reset.  (as I had read that otherwise the drive would be formatted.)

What you did did nothing.  The OS is on the drives, so a reset without them is of no use.  An OS re-install does not re-format your drives.  A Factory Default does.  You can try an OS re-install, but that's not going to change your ReadyCloud configuration, so likely won't help.

Message 8 of 17
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Scruff24

Toggling the service should not affect the data, Have you performed an OS-reinstall?

If your volume is lost please do not perform a Factory reset, it would be best to contact support for this issue but make sure to set your NAS to Tech Support mode first before inserting the drives.

Message 9 of 17
Scruff24
Aspirant

Marc,

What is their number or do they do support over chat? Or do I just click the contact support below this message?

How do I do an OS Reinstall?

Message 10 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@Scruff24 wrote:

How do I do an OS Reinstall?

What model of ReadyNAS do you have?

Message 11 of 17
Scruff24
Aspirant

Readynas 102. RN10200
Message 12 of 17
StephenB
Guru

See pages 20-22 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

The OS reinstall will also

1. Set your admin password to password
  2. Set your network configuration
  3. Disable volume quota (which you can re-enable on the volume settings wheel).

Be careful not to do the factory default by mistake, as that will wipe your data.

What firmware are you running?  (Please don't say "latest").

Message 13 of 17
Scruff24
Aspirant

Message 14 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@Scruff24 wrote:

Thx. 

You might try rebooting the NAS before you dive into the OS reinstall.

Also look on the Cloud page in the admin web ui, and make sure you see the two check marks (one for internet available, and one for ReadyCloud). 

Message 15 of 17
Scruff24
Aspirant

I was able to get back to my files/volume after reinstalling the OS. I thank you very much for your help, but I am still unable to stream videos that I have created and stored on the Readynas to my mobile phone. I am on my home network, and I have the cache set to the largest choice. I still have to click download and then play them from the app.
Message 16 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

@Scruff24 wrote:
I still have to click download and then play them from the app.

That's generally the app requiring it, not the NAS.  It may have to do with how you are connected to the NAS, via DLNA or SMB, and may be something that's configurable.  On my Google phone, I can stream directly with VLC but some other apps want to download.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements