Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cant access my http://readycloud.netgear.com site

JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mmud, can you please check if you have your ReadyCloud users back and their home folders?

Regards,

Message 126 of 707
twgriffiths
Guide

Thanks nbmt.  I'm having trouble logging in as an Admin.  Apparently the password I have saved will not get me in.  Is there any solution to this or am I missing something? 

When I try to reset the Admin password I get the following message:  "Sorry, password recovery has not been set on this device.  Due to security reasons, password recovery is not available."  

FUG NETGEAR!!!!!

Message 127 of 707
Mostdom
Apprentice

Betreff: User has been Auto deleted - all data lost

jak0lantash wrote "Home folders in general are not the greatest place to store data."

The home folder is a user secure location. So I can give member of my family private areas to store and access data, otherwise it is all mixed up on the main nas drive. Why should it not be a safe place to store data unless there is a problem with Netgear's product that you are not telling us.

I notice that there are no current Netgear employees on here telling us what is going on.

Message 128 of 707
otavra
Aspirant

Re: ReadyCloud Shows Drives as Offline

I'm having exactly the same issue here... Can you please send notification to all end users about this issue and any further updates?

Message 129 of 707
twgriffiths
Guide

@JennC  How can I reset my Admin password, while the NAS is offline and I don't know the admin password?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!  Thanks.

Message 130 of 707
nbmt
Guide

@twgriffiths

Try the following:-

1) You need to attached to the local LAN that the ReadyNAS is on.

2) follow the different procedures in the following knowledge Base article:- https://kb.netgear.com/29760/How-do-I-recover-a-lost-or-forgotten-administrator-password-on-my-Ready...

Message 131 of 707
adtsoft
Initiate

Betreff: User has been Auto deleted - all data lost

The same thing happened to me this morning.  This also resulted in all of my Time Machine backups to be deleted.  This is a SERIOUS problem!  A backup device should never delete accounts or data on its own.  Clearly this is a critical software defect.

Thu Mar 30 2017 5:39:24 Account: User 'netgear@***.com' was deleted.

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202
Message 132 of 707
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: User has been Auto deleted - all data lost

I am a current NETGEAR employee.

We are investigating what has happened here.

If you can you should restore the home folder data for your ReadyCLOUD users from backup. Once the home folders have been deleted the data in them is pretty much unrecoverable.

Due to the nature of why home folders were deleted in this instance we're looking into if anything can be done, but the process to delete home shares is quite destructive. If you want to wait and see if a way to recover the data is possible you should disable volume maintenance and stop writing to the volume or better yet boot to volume read-only mode (so no changes can be made to the volume). Any changes made to a volume after data is deleted would reduce the chances of data recovery however slim those chances may be.

Message 133 of 707
twgriffiths
Guide

@nbmtThank you.  I have gained access as an Admin, have turned Cloud on, and have the home folders available.  The problem I am having now is accessing the data.  The home folders are now empty.  How can I get the data back in the folder?  Thanks.

Message 134 of 707
Jorgequinteroc
Aspirant

Re: Home Folder Dissapeared

The same thing happened to me at 5:00am this morning inexplicably. This is a disaster, been trying to find any way to get it back but nothing has helped. No information out there. I was also sleeping at 5am so I didn't delete it. Netgear has some explaining to do.

Message 135 of 707
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Data from deleted home folders is unrecoverable. You will need to restore that data from backup.

We have been investigating what's happened and hope to have an update to share soon.

Message 136 of 707
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Data from deleted home folders is unrecoverable. You will need to restore that data from backup.

We have been investigating what's happened and hope to have an update to share soon.

Message 137 of 707
Jorgequinteroc
Aspirant

I just had filled this folder with information and there is no backup for me. This is not acceptable! What other solutions can you give users? This is a widespread problem now there are hundreds with this problem. You can not just say restore from backup, in my case there is no backup of the new data I just wrote to that folder. Several GB of sensitive info are now lost. What else can we do?

Message 138 of 707
twgriffiths
Guide

That is unacceptable.  NETGEAR lost a customer for life.

Message 139 of 707
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Destroying shares is a destructive process and we have warnings in the GUI about this if you manually go to delete a user/share.

We have looked at some affected systems and been unable to recover data from the deleted home shares as yet. You should disable volume maintenance for now and better yet boot into volume read-only mode (so no changes are made to your volume) to try to make sure nothing happens that may jeopardise data recovery just in case our investigation uncovers ways to recover data from deleted home shares.

It's unfortunate that this happened but ultimately having an up to date backup is your responsibility.

Message 140 of 707
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Destroying shares is a destructive process and we have warnings in the GUI about this if you manually go to delete a user/share.

We have looked at some affected systems and been unable to recover data from the deleted home shares as yet. You should disable volume maintenance for now and better yet boot into volume read-only mode (so no changes are made to your volume) to try to make sure nothing happens that may jeopardise data recovery just in case our investigation uncovers ways to recover data from deleted home shares.

It's unfortunate that this happened but ultimately having an up to date backup is your responsibility.

Message 141 of 707
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Ready Cloud back up and running but no restore of home directories

When a share is deleted, the snapshots are deleted as well.

Snapshots protect against e.g. accidental file deletion/modification. There are a whole range of problems that snapshots won't help you with. Backups are a crucial part of any strategy to protect important data regardless of which devices you use.

Message 142 of 707
trillian796
Guide

You are my backup of Inportant data. It is unacceptable that a failure on your end can just wipe data off of so many systems.

Really unimpressed !!!!

Message 143 of 707
trillian796
Guide

Is the data not mirrored on the system to prevent against things like this ?

Message 144 of 707
kcirillo
Guide

This is completely unacceptable. If I had accidentally deleted the account or folder myself or even if it was a hardware malfunction, I would agree that this would be my fault. However, in this situation it was a screw up on Netgear's end. It was Netgear that deleted my account off of my personal device without my consent. Myself and everyone else out there who was affected by this "unfortunate" event deserve some sort of compensation from Netgear. I currently have a case open about it and if it cannot be resolved, I will need to send my NAS into a data recovery service which will most likely cost up into the thousands to get them to recover the data. I would expect and will demand that Netgear picks up that bill to make up for their mistake. I agree, mistakes happen but we all need to take responsibility for them, including Netgear. I guarantee that if things are not resolved, I will never ever buy a Netgear product again, nor will I refer them to anyone.

Message 145 of 707
J03
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: readycloud.netgear.com site and NAS unit offline and Windows app states all units offline

Problem not solved yet? I still cant log on plus found that one resolution was to update the readycloud client program, however the download file Netgear provides is of the old version 1.5 ...

Message 146 of 707
Mostdom
Apprentice

[Rant on]

Considering the numbers here and considering we are now going to have to put in the time to rebuild our backups, I think Netgear is going to have to consider some compensation. I have recently purchased some new programs that I havn't yet copied to my backups of my backups, and if I cannot re-download them I am going to be out of pocket here.

Ignoring the sense in making additional backups this should never be able to happen. These are private localally stored devices which Netgear or anyone else should not be able to access and delete, especially ON MASS!

This will probably permenatly disuade me from buying any more Netgear products.

[Rant off]

Message 147 of 707
jak0lantash
Mentor

@Mostdom wrote:

These are private localally stored devices which Netgear or anyone else should not be able to access and delete, especially ON MASS!

This doesn't seem like what happened. I understand it doesn't make much difference to your data in the end, but I still think it's important to understand what happened. While the system didn't behave as one would expect, to say the least, there is no violation of privacy here.

ReadyCLOUD servers were down, so it sure isn't them that went to your NAS to delete the data. From the posts here, it looks like the ReadyCLOUD service running on the NAS couldn't communicate with ReadyCLOUD servers and took the decision to disable the connection AND to UNJOIN from the ReadyCLOUD account. This is the problem, it UNJOINED from the master ReadyCLOUD account, which should NOT happen. Unfortunately, when a NAS is unjoined from the master ReadyCLOUD account, the ReadyCLOUD users are deleted along with their home folders.

So NETGEAR didn't access your NAS and deleted the home folders, it's a piece of code running on your NAS that did it.

BTW, just to be clear, I'm no longer employed by NETGEAR and I'm in no way trying to protect them. I'm actually trying to help you and others, as much as I can.

Message 148 of 707
CJDEN
Tutor

@mdgm wrote:

I am a current NETGEAR employee.

We are investigating what has happened here.

If you can you should restore the home folder data for your ReadyCLOUD users from backup. Once the home folders have been deleted the data in them is pretty much unrecoverable.

Due to the nature of why home folders were deleted in this instance we're looking into if anything can be done, but the process to delete home shares is quite destructive. If you want to wait and see if a way to recover the data is possible you should disable volume maintenance and stop writing to the volume or better yet boot to volume read-only mode (so no changes can be made to the volume). Any changes made to a volume after data is deleted would reduce the chances of data recovery however slim those chances may be.

My ReadyCloud button is now set to OFF, and will remain so. Will this ensure that Netgear servers will be unable to trigger a deletion of data and users in my home folder?

What happen here is a disaster and should trigger Netgear to review the functionality of the Cloud service/NAS Software. I can not live with the unceatenty that my personal data on a storage and backup device in my private home can be deleted all of a sudden without my concent. I purchased ny NAS to safeguard my data, not delete them.

I hope Netgear will issue software updates shortly with a guarantee that something like this will not happen ever again, otherwise my faith is lost, and a different brand will be on my shelf shortly. A real pity as I loved the thing, just until you ate my data 😞

Message 149 of 707
Guide

Betreff: NAS offline ?

Bei mir hat admin Anmeldung funktioniert gelöschten User wieder aktiviert Readycloud wieder angemeldet alles von der admin aus funktioniert alles wie vorher.

Bei mir sind keine Daten weg.

Message 150 of 707
Top Contributors
Announcements