Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: User has been Auto deleted - all data lost

mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyCloud Server Outage UPDATE | Deleted Home Folders

Support is working their way through helping users who have indicated via email that they need assistance.

For those who are experiencing issues with Replicate can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 551 of 707
Tryll
Guide

Re: ReadyCloud Server Outage UPDATE | Deleted Home Folders

@mdgm wrote:

Support is working their way through helping users who have indicated via email that they need assistance.

For those who are experiencing issues with Replicate can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

What? What is the point in sending logs for my NAS? It is pretty much unaware of the issues NetGear created. The issue is that I can't log into the management site. Can you send me the logs for the management site?

I'm told by support that to straighten out my Replicate issues I'll have to create a new account and set it up again... BUT that isn't possible because "the new account part of the site is down right now" and they don't know why.

NetGear is blowing my mind right now. I'm getting the sense that NetGear has no idea what is going on with their systems, and how it is affecting all of ours. We don't have unlimited time to straighten out the mess you've made.

Message 552 of 707
424User
Tutor

Can we do a class action?? lost my all my pictures and file, and this is netgear's fault.  Is there any legal action we can take?

Message 553 of 707
Tryll
Guide

Definitely starting to feel like class action territory to me.

It also feels like NetGear is completely clueless about Public Relations. They've responded to this whole thing so incredibly poorly you'd think they were all on vacation.

Message 554 of 707
Tryll
Guide

I don't really see how this is any different than if NetGear maliciously hacked our networks.

Message 555 of 707
KenBennett
Guide

That's what I've been saying and I think we need to look into it. I'm going to call a lawyer tomorrow. I even got a lot of bs from someone on here about doing that when I asked a question, which has never been addressed.

Message 556 of 707
424User
Tutor

This is akin to ransomware.  I don't understand why you wouldn't just created a new id, like user, then user.0 and so forth like windows use to do.  Wouldn't that have made more sense and put the burden of deleting data on the administrator of the box.  

Message 557 of 707
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Tryll if you let me know your case number (e.g. via PM) I can have your case reviewed.

We are working our way through helping users that need it. The best engineer in our NAS team is spending a lot of time looking at some of the systems that have experienced data loss. This is taking longer than we would like but we are working on it.

Normally when shares are deleted it is initiated by a user and considering our warnings about this being a destructive process we don't offer data recovery for that.

So with these exceptional circumstances we're needing to attempt to recover data that we normally wouldn't due to the complexity of doing so.

Our announcement describes how to rejoin ReadyCLOUD.

Message 558 of 707
andy_blanc
Guide

I was semi-understanding until the lecturing from the mod about backups started. 

@mdgm wrote:

Part of an appropriate response to an incident like this is for each of you to consider whether your current backup strategy is sufficient or not and to make any needed changes going forward.

1 sentance appologie and 3 paragraphs of what WE should have done differently to avoid this situation and how this could have happened to anyone. What B.S.

Netgear should at the very least aquire a licence to a premium data recovery software solution for all effected users.

I'm running the trial verison of this at the moment https://www.diskinternals.com/raid-recovery/ and it seems to be locating a lot of my files and many folders although I won't know what exactly its found until it has completed the scan. It will be close to 24 hours to complete.   

Message 559 of 707
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There are some positive signs that at least partially successful data recovery should be possible remotely accessing at least some NAS units (subject to what changes have been made to the volume after the deletion and other factors).

Considering dnanthony83 had verified that data recovery software could find some data (without testing to see if the actual data recovery was successful) his was a good example for our top engineer to look into further.

From looking at dnathony83's system we've found a considerable amount of data so far from deleted home shares.

If we can establish a process to follow with a reasonable level of success then this should hopefully be able to scale.

Data Recovery software for Windows does have drawbacks that you need to remove disks from the NAS and may not have enough spare SATA ports on your PC. It can get quite involved and is far from an ideal solution.

Deletion of shares is a very destructive process so we may be partially or completely unsuccessful at attempting to recover data. Likewise for 3rd party data recovery.

Ultimately backing up your data is responsibility. This is clearly stated in the warranty for the device. It's your data. It's your responsibility to maintain an appropriate level of backups for you.

We're going above and beyond what we would normally do due to these exceptional circumstances.

Part of my role is to give advice that may help you going forward. What's done is done, but we can look to the future.

Message 560 of 707
andy_blanc
Guide

@mdgm wrote:

Ultimately backing up your data is responsibility. This is clearly stated in the warranty for the device. It's your data. It's your responsibility to maintain an appropriate level of backups for you.

We're going above and beyond what we would normally do due to these exceptional circumstances.

You seem to be saying that because there is a warning to make your own backups, it mitigates Netgear's responsibility to not go into our personal hard drives and delete our data. And that any help Netgear give us is a favor. That is an absurd defense to make.

This is like selling someone a security system, then robbing their house and saying, "Well, you should have had another security system".

Message 561 of 707
Wicky_W
Tutor

As I have read before, the ReclaiMe File Recovery is a tool that should work on this matter.

So I ask myself, why the causer of the problem - naming NETGEAR - is not giving (time limited maybe) licenses to all effected users, helping them clean up the mess THEY caused. That would do the trick and make -at least some- users "happy" again.

Message 562 of 707
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@andy_blanc wrote:

You seem to be saying that because there is a warning to make your own backups, it mitigates Netgear's responsibility to not go into our personal hard drives and delete our data.

We didn't go into your NAS units and delete your data. The NAS decided to delete the data as it beleived your NAS was no longer registered to ReadyCLOUD.

There are things that can go wrong within our control, within your control and neither of our faults. There's a saying that "if your data is not backed up it can't be that important". Regardless of whether you're expecting to run into issues or not it's important to have backups to prepare for the unexpected.

@andy_blanc wrote:

This is like selling someone a security system, then robbing their house and saying, "Well, you should have had another security system".

That's a non-sequitur. If the data is only stored on the NAS then it's not backed up. Storing the only copy of the data on a NAS (or any device for that matter) might be  somewhat analogous to having an alarm system but leaving the back door wide open.

Redundant RAID, snapshots, anti-virus, bit-rot protection etc. are valuable and helpful but they are no replacement for backups.

@Wicky_W wrote:

As I have read before, the ReclaiMe File Recovery is a tool that should work on this matter.

So I ask myself, why the causer of the problem - naming NETGEAR - is not giving (time limited maybe) licenses to all effected users, helping them clean up the mess THEY caused. That would do the trick and make -at least some- users "happy" again.

We're looking into a better solution than that. As I mentioned in a recent post above a tool for Windows is far from ideal. Not all users are going to be comfortable with hooking up disks to the internal SATA ports in their PC or even have the spare ports to do so. Not all users have Windows machines. A solution that involves remotely accessing the ReadyNAS unit and backing up the data e.g. to a USB drive is much better.

Message 563 of 707
jak0lantash
Mentor

@KenBennett wrote:

I even got a lot of bs from someone on here about doing that when I asked a question, which has never been addressed.

I didn't know "bs" stood for "technical explanation".

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyCLOUD/User-has-been-Auto-deleted-all-data-lost/m-p/1258789#M76...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyCLOUD/User-has-been-Auto-deleted-all-data-lost/m-p/1260493#M76...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyCLOUD/Having-ReadyCLOUD-problems-since-3-30-17/m-p/1259697#U12...

The major difficulty being that you have to read.

Message 564 of 707
KenBennett
Guide

Well, Y'all keep saying it's our fault. I keep reading how NETGEAR is going above and beyond and saying it's not their fault, yet it was a glitch on their side. Jak0lantash, you cannot pickup a turd by the clean end no matter how hard you try, so drop the turd, and go wash your hands.
Message 565 of 707
KenBennett
Guide

You may want to read, I mean really read. Not one link addressed my question that you posted. Based on that, you may want to go back and read before you respond with information that I have read and still hasn't addressed my question. I've never addressed the data loss from the home folder or from my NAS at all Jak0

Message 566 of 707
StephenB
Guru

@KenBennett wrote:
Well, Y'all keep saying it's our fault. I keep reading how NETGEAR is going above and beyond and saying it's not their fault, yet it was a glitch on their side. Jak0lantash, you cannot pickup a turd by the clean end no matter how hard you try, so drop the turd, and go wash your hands.

Cut it out.  As far as I can see, no one on this thread has said the data loss was your fault - including @jak0lantash.  Netgear said it was their fault here here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyCLOUD/Having-ReadyCLOUD-problems-since-3-30-17/m-p/1259697#U12...  Netgear employees who post here haven't said anything different.

I get that you are angry.  People who lost data have reason to be.  But let's make this more constructive (focusing on how to get people's data back). I'd rather not have to start locking threads, given the overall situation.

Message 567 of 707
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Cant access my http://readycloud.netgear.com site

sassinemichel we appear to have had some early success with the script that's running on your box on other customer systems. We'll look to improve the script if needed.

The older scripts we tried were successful in the lab but weren't recovering data on customer systems.

When it comes to data recovery attempts it really is a case by case thing to see whether data recovery is successful or not. It may be completely successful, partial successful or completely unsuccessful.

It depends on various factors including what writes have been made after the home shares were deleted.

Message 568 of 707

Re: Cant access my http://readycloud.netgear.com site

I didn't use the drive after the issue arised so i guess there aren't any risks of overwrites,

The engineer taking care of my case asked me to go purchase a drive that is larger than my home folder to recover the data to it, costing me 500$ more than the 125 euros I already paid for support just to be able to call netgear and tell them about the issue, 

I really hope this gets solved

Message 569 of 707
KenBennett
Guide

They most certainly have, if you'd read. They've come out with how people should have their data backed up. I don't really care about that, as data loss or not having backups is not what I enquired about. Again, learn to read. Follow your own advice. I never once stated I lost data nor did I allude to losing data.

I do feel for those that lost their data.
Message 570 of 707
StephenB
Guru

@KenBennett wrote:
They most certainly have, if you'd read. 

What they've said is this (my summary from what I've read):

The ReadyCloud server failure triggered the mechanism that comes into play when users want to stop using ReadyCloud.  That mechanism initiated the deletion of all ReadyCloud accounts.  The NAS deletes the home folders whenever an account is deleted - and that includes ReadyCloud accounts.  Since this was initiated by the server, there was no user interaction to confirm the deletion - it happened silently.  Netgear has disabled that "clean-up" mechanism in the server to prevent the problem from re-occuring.

I seriously doubt that you'll get a deeper technical explanation than that summary (and if you did, it likely wouldn't make sense to anyone who doesn't work on ReadyCloud).  If I got something wrong, hopefully Netgear will correct it.

@KenBennett wrote:
They've come out with how people should have their data backed up.  I don't really care about that ...

At the risk of angering you further: you might not care, but you should.  RAID is not enough to keep your data safe.  This is one proof point.  There are plenty of others posted here - lightning strikes, theft, power surges, systems being tipped over/dropped, near-simultaneous failure of multiple disks,...  If you had the data backed up, you wouldn't have lost much, if anything.  If you don't learn that lesson from this event, you will lose data again - no matter whose storage system you use.  It's just a matter of time.

This statement doesn't excuse Netgear.  It's like your doctor saying "if you had your seat belt on, you wouldn't have been seriously injured in that accident". That doesn't make you responsible for the accident.  

That said, I am not seeing posts in response to this particular event from mdgm, jennc, FramerV or any other Netgear employees that scold customers who lost data from this event for not having a backup.  Instead, I am seeing transparency on what happened, efforts to identify all customers who were affected, and offers to recover data without charge (which normally is a quite expensive service). This of course is what they should be doing (and although it is the right thing to do, it also doesn't excuse Netgear)

FWIW, I do think it is reasonable for the customer to purchase their own USB drive if that is needed to back their data up.  Though opinions on that likely vary.   

Message 571 of 707
KenBennett
Guide

You keep going on and on and i question your ability to read and comprehend. Try reading slow. I did not have an issue with my data. Never said I did. I do understand the cloud. Now if you can read this, then stop going on about the data and RAID.

Now, reach down, pull on that string so you can breathe.
Message 572 of 707
StephenB
Guru

@KenBennett wrote:
You keep going on and on and i question your ability to read and comprehend. Try reading slow. I did not have an issue with my data. Never said I did. I do understand the cloud. Now if you can read this, then stop going on about the data and RAID.

Now, reach down, pull on that string so you can breathe.

I'm breathing very well. thank you.

Message 573 of 707
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas showing as 'offline' even though its online

Hello McGarnagle,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 574 of 707
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: User accounts deleted ReadyNas 204

Hello rimscar,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 575 of 707
Top Contributors
Announcements