Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Word for Mac opens as Read - Only

mlobrien117
Aspirant

Word for Mac opens as Read - Only

I have recently had an issue arise with Word for Mac. I store files on the NAS Drive and when I open them they are always read only. The only workaround I have achieved is to save the documents onto my desktop and then I can open them and edit them, then have to save them back to the NAS Drive. Any ideas on how to get back to being able to open and edit documents on the NAS Drive without the workaround?

The only recent change apart from a firmware update is I have changed to a static IP

Model: RN31212D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (1x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Have you tried resetting the file permissions setting on the NAS share?

Are you using the same credentials to access the NAS in finder that you were using before this problem bega?

Message 2 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

I don't know about the Mac version of Word (and other Office programs) for sure, but the Windows version opens a temporary file (invisible and beginning with ~) when you open a file.  If it cannot create that file, then it opens the file as read-only.  If the Mac version works similarly (can you normally see the temp file after opening a file if you include invisible files?), then something is likely preventing the creation of that file.  It could be permissions, or it could be that an old version of the temporary file is not being closed properly, preventing creation of a new one.  I'm not really sure what the root cause of the second case could be, unfortunately.

Message 3 of 11
mlobrien117
Aspirant

I have reset the file permissions on share but unfortunately still have the same issue 😞 

I am using the same credentials as before

Message 4 of 11
mlobrien117
Aspirant

If Mac does the same as Windows I'm not sure where the temp file is located, it isn't like Windows where you see the ~file in the same location you open it

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

What filesharing protocol are you using to access the share?  SMB?

Have you looked at the file permissions on the Mac to see if the files themselves are read-only?

Message 6 of 11
mlobrien117
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply, I use SMB and the file permissions are set to Read & Write

Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@mlobrien117 wrote:

Thanks for your reply, I use SMB and the file permissions are set to Read & Write

The effective permissions are the intersection of the network access and the file permissions.

Can you create a subfolder in the share from the Mac? 

Though I'm not a Mac user, I have found a couple of posts that says temporary (hidden) folder called .TemporaryItems might be created in the share. You could also look to see if that folder exists (and perhaps delete it if it does).

Message 8 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

Though I'm not a Mac user, I have found a couple of posts that says temporary (hidden) folder called .TemporaryItems might be created in the share. You could also look to see if that folder exists (and perhaps delete it if it does).

I can see how that could do it.  If that folder already exists and has the wrong permissions, and the GUI reset of permissions doesn't work on hidden files/folders.  It could have the wrong permissions because you changed them after the folder was created, or if you don't have the "Grant rename and delete privilages..." box checked in file permissions.

Message 9 of 11
mlobrien117
Aspirant

To be honest I don't fully understand how to do what you're asking. I have tried to create a subfolder in the share but cannot do it.

The TemporaryItems folder I cannot find in the share either. Thanks

Message 10 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

If you cannot create a sub-folder in the share, then that points to a permissions problem that's likely the underlying cause of your issue.  Try going back to the share file permisisons tab, verify the permisions are set correctly, and the little boc about granting permissions to all is checked.  Then, go to RESET and do a reset.

You should now be able to create a folder in the share.  If you can, then try Excel again.  If it still has a problem, you may need to delete an invisible share (starts with a dot).  I don't know how to do that on a Mac, but frm SSH, you can see the invisible files with ls -all, and you can delete invisible files and folders simply by name..

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements