Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Working Directory

ReadyNasOwner
Follower

Working Directory

Why is'nt possible to change the working Dir for the Sync-Folder?

Ich work with two Disk system on an small SSD und Data on an big HDD. Ich want to syncronize about 60GB from 3 devices. It could only work if it is possible to change the Sync-Folder to HDD.

It was an Issue cince over two years in some Threads, but no reaction from the development.

kind regards

Message 1 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Working Directory

Hello ReadyNasOwner,

I apologize but you may need to provide more information about the concern you are raising. Please post a screenshot of what you are referring to when you said Sync-Folder, is this a Backup Job? Also, include the model number and firmware version of your ReadyNAS.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 2 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ReadyNasOwner,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 3 of 11
an_user
Aspirant

I got the same problem.

By default the readyCloud app syncronise the Folders "c:\Users\me\ReadyCLOUD\"

It would help to switch to "d:\Users\me\ReadyCLOUD\".

But better it would be to be able to choose any folder for any share.

(Each share an other folder)

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 4 of 11
Davoodi
Tutor

Same for me. My computer has a system disk and a data disk, and i would like to sync several folders from the data disk.

But when i start to choose a folder to sync with ReadyCloud, the only option i get is to sync folders from my system disk. How do i get ReadyCloud to allow me syncing folders from an internal disk which is NOT the system disk?

Message 5 of 11
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Davoodi,

As per checking, at this point this is how it was designed. Might be best if you can post this on our Idea Exchange for ReadyNAS.

Regards,

Message 6 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Have you tried creating a symbolic link in your user directory that points to the directory you want to sync?  I've suggested this several times for this issue, but I've not heard from anyone whether it worked or not.  I don't use ReadyCloud at all, so I can't try it myself, but symlinks are often a solution for software that cannot see beyond a certain scope.  More often, it's mapped drives, but you can symlink to any file or directory.

If you are not familiar with symlinks, this is a pretty good how-to: The Complete Guide to Creating Symbolic Links.  Please let everyone know if it works or if it doesn't.

Message 7 of 11
Davoodi
Tutor

I am using Mac OS X. For creating symbolic links, i would need to disable System Integrity Protection, which i absolutely don't want to. I think Netgear should write a ReadyCloud update and embed the possibility to sync any folder on any hard drive.

Can't be that complicated!

Message 8 of 11
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Davoodi,

I apologize if you need a work around regarding this matter. It might be best to post your request on our Idea Exchange for ReadyNAS.

Adding kudos to the ideas will help as development team will be reviewing the post that has the most kudos for considering it to add to the product's future functionality.

Regards,

Message 9 of 11
Davoodi
Tutor

Hi, Framer.

Sorry, but i am not part of the Netgear Develper Team, so i don't see why i should keep posting my inputs over and over again. If Netgear is not able to provide such simple and needed features as free choice of sync folders, i will stick with another manufacturer, simple as that.

Message 10 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

@Davoodi wrote:

Hi, Framer.

Sorry, but i am not part of the Netgear Develper Team,

And, unfortunately, it does not appear that the development team regularly participates in the forums, which is why posting it to the Idea Exchange is recommended.  Apparently, they do at least look there.

Should it be up to us, the users, to point out every bone-headed move the development team makes?  Intentionally restricting sync to just the system drive certainly qualifies in my book as bone-headed!  No, they need somebody who actually understands their customers' needs who actually works for them.  Someone who understands that we want substance over flash.  Someone who understands that animated pictures of fans in the UI are just silly wastes of space, not "modern".  But since they seem not to, our choices are try and get them to see the error of their ways or move elsewhere.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements