Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: cannot connect to readynas nvx RNDX4210

Fragglecasper
Aspirant

cannot connect to readynas nvx RNDX4210

IN DIRE !! need of help, so my operating system which is windows 7 pro, was corrupted and acting up and was restarting and shutting down and was just causing me all troubles, so i decided to start fresh with a new hard drive and new install,

i work as photographer so i simply wanted to buy a new ssd larger volume and start fresh installing the operating system and all the programs i need to keep running, which i did, i am able to connect the previous hard drive and go in and bring back all the info i need and images i was working on, 

i have installed everything now, but i find myself on the last hurdle, i have downloaded raidar and tried to connect to my readynas storage model number mentioned above. was working fine on my last system, but when i tried connecting raidar can see the drives, shows me only 1gb is free from 799gb which is correct, but i cannot get into the folders.

thought i needed to run the setup and go through that way, which i did and ended up either changing the ip address or configured it wrong,

going through setup i named the folders that now show up in network in computer, but these folders are empty, i have attached a pic of the folders now in network.

raidar still shows me that the disks are full so all the data is there, i must have just changed something while in setup now that wont allow me in to my files, i must have changed a setting somewhere, because after rebooting my computer and opening raidar i can still see the drives and all the green lights, but when i hit setup now i cannot enter the ipaddress anymore, ill attach a pic of the log in to this ip address which i cannot access.

i have been googling forever to try and find a solution for this,

i have used the Os reinstall option in the readynas to reinstall the Os hopinh that maybe i could start fresh without loosing the data on the disks and maybe i could configure it correctly, but this option does not work for me,,,,

i have logged into ready cloud but that wont discover the drive, even when i press the button for 5 seconds readycloud still cannot see the drive.. maybe because of that setting somehwere i changed, 

using a program called advanced scanner i am able to scan my network and see the netgear on a different ip address and also see the jod'photography and the storage folder i first created after i installed the new operating system, i see the addresses are different, maybe this is where i am getting stuck..

i am not great guys with this whole netgear stuff, i read articles and forums for the past few days trying to find the fix for this, and following what they say, but to this date no way of actually getting in.

it is very important i get back into this drive because all the images of 2018 and 2019 are on it from weddings to communions and birthdays and my landscape work, all the data is still on the drives but i have done something along the way after the new windows 7 install that i cannot no longer get back into the storage unit..

please if anyone could help i would be so greatful,

go step by step with me i can follow along and maybe we can sort this out,, thanks guys

Model: RNDX4210|READYNAS NVX 2 TB DUAL GIGABIT DESKTOP NETWORK STORAGE|EOL
Message 1 of 39
Fragglecasper
Aspirant

2nd of the images i want to share

Message 2 of 39
Fragglecasper
Aspirant

Message 3 of 39
Fragglecasper
Aspirant

finally the 4th image i wanted to share with you guys,,, am hoping someone here can really put me straight, step by step to the solution,,,

Message 4 of 39
StephenB
Guru

@Fragglecasper wrote:

i have logged into ReadyCloud

Not an option.  ReadyCloud only works with OS-6 NAS (which run 6.x firmware, not 4.2 firmware).

What happens when you enter \\192.168.1.16 into the file explorer address bar?  Be care to use the correct slash - // will launch your browser, which isn't what we want.

Also, do you recall the admin password for your NAS?  I am wondering, because you seem to be confused on screenshot 3.  That normally gets you into the NAS web UI (called frontview), and you are supposed to enter admin as the username, and the NAS admin password when you see that pop-up.

Message 5 of 39
Fragglecasper
Aspirant

\\192.168.1.16 when i enter this into my browser it asks for name and password, which i have tried now every combination i have known, i have taking that address bar futher by entering the recovery of this also and tried sending me a reset option to my email, as of today this address recovery option has not sent me a reset option....

Message 6 of 39
Fragglecasper
Aspirant

also thank you for contacting me back so soon man, honestly

Message 7 of 39
Fragglecasper
Aspirant

i also believed that by using the OS reinstall option on the device, by holding the backup button and getting into the meun option and reinstalling the Os that it would have reset the settings,, 

Message 8 of 39
StephenB
Guru

@Fragglecasper wrote:

i also believed that by using the OS reinstall option on the device, by holding the backup button and getting into the meun option and reinstalling the Os that it would have reset the settings,, 

It does, but your description on the steps isn't quite right. See pages 20-21 here:  http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RNDU2000/ReadyNAS_Ultra_UltraPlus_NVX_Pro_HW_en_8July11.p...

That will reset the admin password to netgear1 and will also reset the network configuration to use DHCP (which it likely already is). After you regain access, you should change the admin password to something else.

Overall -

1. if you only rarely use the ReadyNAS password, then I suggest writing it down and putting it inside the door of the NAS.  The security risk isn't substantial, since anyone who knows how can do the OS reinstall to reset it.
  2. Your data is critical to your business, and RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.  The only way to do that is to back it up to at least one other device - ideally two.  After you regain access, you should put a backup plan in place.  USB drives are cost effective way to back up your data.  You can also get a new ReadyNAS, and use your current NVX as a backup.
  3. A NAS isn't a set up and forget device.  You really should log in periodically and at least check the disk health. 
  4. After you restore access and back up the NAS, you might also want to update your firmware (the current firmware version is 4.2.31; 4.2.15 is very old.  Don't skip the backup step - applying 4-5 years worth of updates in one jump is a lot, so it is prudent to make sure you have a backup in hand.
Message 9 of 39
Sandshark
Sensei

It sounds as if you may have both NIC ports plugged in, thus have two addresses.  That's not usually a good idea.  If one of those addresses is out of the subnet of your router, you must have set it as static at some point before changing something else in your network configureation, like the router.

You likely stored some user name and/ot password information into the Windows Credential Manager in you previous set-up, and have since forgotten them because you didn't need to type them.  If you didn't write them down somewhere, doing the OS re-install to re-gine admin access will allow you to reset user information as well and get you back where you were.

You said you typed the IP address into your browser.  @StephenB stated you needed to do that into a Windows Explorer address window, not Internet Explorer.  You can still try what was suggested before you move to the point of a re-install.  Note if you put in the slashes wrong, it will re-direct to the browser, also.

Message 10 of 39
Fragglecasper
Aspirant

on page 21 it states this 

Factory default. Initiates a short disk test that takes approximately 5 minutes, then
begins a 10-minute time-out period waiting for RAIDar. During the 10-minute time-out
period, the system can be powered off safely without causing any data loss. After 10
minutes, or if you select the factory default option with RAIDar during the time-out period,
the factory default process begins.

without causing any loss to data,

then right under it it says factor default will wipe the drives and format them..

i have already chosen OS Reinstall twice yet i still cannot get in

Message 11 of 39
Fragglecasper
Aspirant

using avast to scan my network i can see everything connected to my wifi,,, heres the thing, i am trying to get to Netgear and get in there and get to my files,,, my also on this scan networ i can see storage, this is a folder i created using raidar to set up, when i click raidar to scan for devices it sees storage and when i open storage there is nothing in there,

storage is created with the new operating system install,

netgear is the old operating system and the one i was able to get into a few days ago,

so when i click browse on raidar it takes me straight to storage which is empty, netgear itself holds all my files and this is indicated in raidar when you hoover over the drives,,,

on setting it up i changed the name to JOD'Photography and the folder to storage,

it is different from what it was a few days ago which was just James and the folders inside where called home, and another folder called user..

dont know where the problem is, i have tried and tried to re install the OS on the netgear using the tips above, it does the whole boot cycle, then it boots back up and when i click raidar to find it or to browse it takes me back to storage folder and not back directly into the netgear,

its like the path to the data has changed and i am only been taking to the new folder i create when setting up raidar 3 days ago, and not back into the path of my orginal files

Message 12 of 39
Fragglecasper
Aspirant

i will add three images here,, of that wireless scan and show the ip addresses, maybe there is something going on there between the different ip addresses location with storage and netgear and router ?..

i really dont know i am clutching at straws here

Message 13 of 39
Fragglecasper
Aspirant

images 2

Message 14 of 39
Fragglecasper
Aspirant

image 3

Message 15 of 39
schumaku
Guru

You talk of a Windows 7 re-installation on a new SSD and the attempt to read the formerly Windows computer connected disk (whatever) to an ancient ReadyNAS?!? Probably trying to use this storage device as an internal disk on this NAS?

Message 16 of 39
Fragglecasper
Aspirant

ok ill explain as better as i can,, friday my laptop was giving serious trouble,,,

i removed the ssd and bought a new one, installed windows 7 again as that is what i am use to and my alienware will work best with,,

new ssd, new install

downloaded raidar opened it, clicked setup and followed the instructions, renamed the folde in the instructions JODPhotography and below that storage, finished the instructions close raidar, 

opened my computer i can see network and JODPhotography clock that and i can see storage, but it is empty, raidar shows the disks and all the lights as green and full my i must have configured this incorrectly,,,,

if i click browse in raidar it auto opens the storage folder i named,

setup in raidar takes me to the ip address in my browser that i cannot get into anymore

have reset the os in netgear

still nothing working

have tyoed the ip addresses into windows explorer and cannot get anywhere that way, it tries to open a web browser from windows explorer and it doesnt open anything....

hope this makes since,, because it barleys makes since to me,,, i am following instructions and videos and everything possible from online to try and sort this,,

everything was working perfectly fine friday morning, i could get into netgear before i started to have major issues with windows 7, so i needed more storage and i decided to buy a new ssd and start from scratch,, big big mistake...

is there any other option to connect to these netgear via cable directly to laptop or anything and just take all the images and data off it and forget about netgear ever again,,,,ill use storage hubs from now on

Message 17 of 39
schumaku
Guru

No idea why RAIDar utility installation has guided you over any ReadyNAS (re-)configuration. The NAS (no matter a legacy ReadyNAS or a ReadyNAS OS 6 system) is unaffected from a Windows scratch installation.  

Message 18 of 39
StephenB
Guru

@Fragglecasper wrote:

if you select the factory default option with RAIDar during the time-out period,
the factory default process begins.

without causing any loss to data,

No matter how you start the factory default, it will reformat the disks.  You will lose all data, and you'll also have to reconfigure the NAS from scratch.

@Fragglecasper wrote:

i have already chosen OS Reinstall twice yet i still cannot get in

That will reset the NAS admin password to netgear1 and reset the network configuration to use DHCP.  It won't destroy data.

What happens if you enter \\192.168.1.16 in windows file explorer (be care to use the right slash)?

@Fragglecasper wrote:

i removed the ssd and bought a new one, installed windows 7 again

Do you still have the old SSD?  One option is to shut down the PC, and then install the original SSD.  That should restore access (assuming you didn't actually do a factory default).

Then copy off your data to a USB drive, and look in the windows credential manager to see the username/password you were using with the NAS.

Message 19 of 39
Fragglecasper
Aspirant

i have the old ssd, but because it was giving problems, i bought another and what i did with the old one was tried to reinstal onto that ssd creating the previous windows install to be pushed to windows.old folder.. so i have access to windows.old

i have entered the address into windows explorer and as the picture shows it send me to network/jodphotography/storage which is empty..

let me try and ask this from a different angle,

can i connect by cable or any other way to the nas and remove my files, i have 2 storage hubs coming, that will maybe suit my needs better...

if i could cable up somehow to the nas and just connect between laptop and the netgear and transfer the files off it ?

Message 20 of 39
StephenB
Guru

@Fragglecasper wrote:

can i connect by cable or any other way to the nas and remove my files, i have 2 storage hubs coming, that will maybe suit my needs better...

if i could cable up somehow to the nas and just connect between laptop and the netgear and transfer the files off it ?

That won't help, and I think it will actually complicate things. You'd need to set up a compatible static IP address in the PC, and it wouldn't change the credentials issues you are having.

Are you able to log into the admin web page in your browser ( https://192.168.1.16/admin ) - entering admin for the user name, and the admin password for the NAS?

Message 21 of 39
Fragglecasper
Aspirant

have just tried again and nope i cannot log into the browser, i have so far tried all the passwords and log info i know of, and i know they are correct because its my kids names followed by a few digits i could never forget, anyway ever since i reset the os in the netgear i have been trying all sorts of combinations

admin

password

email address

password

user name and password

and most recently

admin

netgear1

would having the netgear on a different ip to where the storage is cause problems like in the images i shared earlier, like netgears ip address is different,

and the two new folders i somehow created through raidar whic is called storage has also a different ip

Message 22 of 39
StephenB
Guru

The username in the browser popup is always admin.  You can't use the other usernames you might have configured before.

The default password is netgear1. Did you change it after you did the OS reinstall last time?  If you can't remember it, you'll need to do another OS reinstall from the front panel - which will change it back to netgear1.

Another option is to use paid support from my.netgear.com.  Ask for per-incident support (which should cost about $75).  Don't purchase the gearhead support contract - that won't cover what you need.  Paid support would need you to boot the NAS into "tech support mode" so they can resolve your problem remotely.  That's also done through the front panel boot menu (it's described in the hardware manual I linked in earlier).

@Fragglecasper wrote:

would having the netgear on a different ip to where the storage is cause problems like in the images i shared earlier,

A different IP address doesn't affect the password.

@Sandshark asked you before if you had two ethernet cables plugged into the NAS - I don't recall seeing your answer to that.  If you do, disconnect one of them.  That should ensure that you only have one IP address.

Message 23 of 39
Fragglecasper
Aspirant

spent half a day again trying to sort this out,,, again nothing seems to work,,, no matter what i cannot get into the GUI in the browser,

i have tried and tried to use the password reset option of this but netgear never sends me a reset link,

and i should not have to as i have reinstalled the OS on the device so the passwords should be default, but no they are not i just cannot get in no matter what, raidar picks it up and always picks it up....

readycloud doesnt discover it and i dont know why,

the device is registered in my MYNETGEAR account as you can see in the image attached... 

dont know what else i can do,,

can netgear or gearhead still somehow get into this device even tho i cannot get in through any portal given,,

i will only use this to get in one last time if i can and remove everything,,

was reading forums today and they mentioned maybe the intel protocl ipv4 needed to be changed i followed there advice on these forums and other website and to know avail and changed everything back to before i went at them,,

anyone use gearhead for support, if i pay gearhead for a subscripton can they get in, ? even when i cannot get in to any front view or gui through browser or anything,

could another access point , like another router close to my house been throwing this off right now, maybe not just so tired dealing with this, not the easiest thing to figure out these netgear,,,

if anyone has come up with anyother ideas please feel free to get in touch, or if you can i dont know tag other guru's on this community that could maybe chip in it would be forever appericated...

regards

James

Message 24 of 39
Sandshark
Sensei

Your NVX is not capable of running ReadyCloud.  Only newer OS6 based models can do that.  You seem to still be trying to follow instructions for current model NAS on your 10 year old unit.  Doing so will only frustrate you.

Just verifying:  You are seeing a password prompt when you try to address the NAS via HTTPS. but it's not accepting the user name and password?  What browser are you using?  There are some older browser versions that are incopatime with older oS versions.

If your OS version is old enough, the admin password could be infrant1.  OS re-install only chages the admin password, by the way, not others.

If it's not accepting admin and either netgear1 or infrant1, then you may not have actually accomplished an OS re-install.  Make sure you are following the instructions for an NVX, as those are also different for newer NAS.  The display should show you what it is doing.  If you are following the proper procedure, then somethng is preventing the NAS from completing the action or something else is wrong with the NAS.

You say you changed IPV4.  How did you do that without access to the GUI?

Nothing near your house can be throwing it off.  Somehting else inside your house on the same IP address could, but I don't thik you'd even see the user name and password prompt..  RAIDar might be able to see through that, I've never tested it.

To test the hardware, you can remove all the drives (marking them so you can put them back in the right order later) and install just one spare drive contaiing nothing you care to keep.  If the NAS can create a valid volume with the new drive and you can communicate with it, then the hardware is probably good.  You can check all the drive slots by powering down, moving the drive to the next slot, and powering back on.  It shouldn't need to re-build the volume each time, so it's a quick process

Message 25 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements