Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: cannot install readycloud on win10 PC - npf.sys not available

rodcrit
Luminary

cannot install readycloud on win10 PC - npf.sys not available

have just set up a new rn20400 system. I have some user problems - but that is another story.

I am trying to install the readycloud app on my windows10 tablet, but it fails. the install reports npf.sys not available - the installation continues, but the program fails to run   -  error -3.   this also happens on my win10 desktop.

any comments on this problem please.

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@rodcrit wrote:

thanks for response:

we have 3 independent pcs on my home network....   mine and wife's hard wired on network and daughters on wireless connection to network  from tablet pc.

Ok.  There are two ways to proceed.  

-If you are using local log ons for Windows (instead of using the Microsoft account) you can simply create a user name for each of you on the NAS that matches the windows log on (user and password).  Every time you change the windows password, you'd also need to change the NAS password for that user.

-If you are using the Microsoft account (or if you simply prefer it) you can set up different user names on the NAS (again one for each of you), and then use Windows Credential Manager are each PC.  You'd enter a windows credential, specifying the NAS name, using the NAS user logon/password that you want for that PC.

Once you've done that, each PC will show a private folder (matching the NAS user for the PC) and the public folders when you access it with \\nasname.

You can also use the NAS IP address if you'd rather use that (instead of the NAS name).  That would need its own credential in the credential manager (but can use the same user/password).

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Message 2 of 13
rodcrit
Luminary

OK  -  thankyou for that

have successfully installed it on both desktop and tablet.....   taskmanager shows that the app is running,  but how do I actually use it?

It woke up on the tablet once - but dont know what I did to get t to do so,   but now no indication on either machine of what to do to get it started to access my NAS system.

your further assistence greatly appreciated.

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Message 4 of 13
rodcrit
Luminary

Those articles seem to suggest that I have got a readycloud window open   ----  but I havent.

yes the app is running, but there is nothing on my screen to allow me to use it.   there are no windows open 

how do I get a window to open so that I can connect to my NAS system ?

all help is much appreciated

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

The first step is to enable readycloud in the NAS, and the second step is to go to readycloud.netgear.cloud in your browser.

What ReadyCloud provides is a VPN that lets you (and others you allow) to access the files on your NAS over the internet.  Backup, sync and some other services are built into the client you downloaded.

In my opinion it is still a work-in-progress.

Message 6 of 13
rodcrit
Luminary

OK  -  had done all that  -  and acording to task manager - readycloud is running   -  but there is no indication on the desktop of it running.

Am getting little bit fed up now cos I am unable to do what I installed this system to do   -  which is to allow me, my wife and my daughter to have there own logins on the NAS server so they can control there own data tree.

yes - I can see the NAS system  - so can my wife and daughter using windows explorer and looking at the network -  but they just see what I can see as admin  -  and can see no way of setting up them as a user on the system in which they can log in to there own files.

I have set them up as an account on the system   -  I can give folders their ownership and they are in their own group.

I can find no detailed documentation as to what needs to be done to set the system up as I want.  the documentation I have found says do this - do that and it will work   -  it doesnt! 

Not a happy bunny at the moment.

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@rodcrit wrote:

OK  -  had done all that  -  and acording to task manager - readycloud is running   -  but there is no indication on the desktop of it running.

Normally there is an icon in the system tray (right side of the taskbar near the time).  Are you not seeing that?

Am getting little bit fed up now cos I am unable to do what I installed this system to do   -  which is to allow me, my wife and my daughter to have there own logins on the NAS server so they can control there own data tree.

You don't need ReadyCloud for that.  ReadyCloud is for accessing your NAS over the internet.

For starters, the way Windows works is that credentials for all resources (including the NAS) depend on the current windows user.  So to get what you want, the three of you would need to have separate windows accounts on the PC.  Do you have that?

Message 8 of 13
rodcrit
Luminary

thanks for response:

we have 3 independent pcs on my home network....   mine and wife's hard wired on network and daughters on wireless connection to network  from tablet pc.

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@rodcrit wrote:

thanks for response:

Ok.  There are two ways to proceed.  

-If you are using local log ons for Windows (instead of using the Microsoft account) you can simply create a user name for each of you on the NAS that matches the windows log on (user and password).  Every time you change the windows password, you'd also need to change the NAS password for that user.

-If you are using the Microsoft account (or if you simply prefer it) you can set up different user names on the NAS (again one for each of you), and then use Windows Credential Manager are each PC.  You'd enter a windows credential, specifying the NAS name, using the NAS user logon/password that you want for that PC.

Once you've done that, each PC will show a private folder (matching the NAS user for the PC) and the public folders when you access it with \\nasname.

You can also use the NAS IP address if you'd rather use that (instead of the NAS name).  That would need its own credential in the credential manager (but can use the same user/password).

Message 10 of 13
rodcrit
Luminary

I think we have gone a bit off topic in these discussions  - but thank you  -  I greatly appreciate your patience and I think I ( with your help) I have now understood the basics of what is happening.

There are a couple of problems which I dont understand, but have worked around those and all is as I want at the moment.

back on topic  -  getting access via the cloud on remote tablets and smart phones for instance.

I have a samsung s5 smartphone.  using the readycloud app I can access my admin account wth no problem - which allows me to see all public folders,  but when trying to access either private login accounts, I get error could not validate with ready cloud server.  How do I register my user accounts with the ready cloud server ?

I still havent worked out what is happening on my Windows tablet with readycloud,  but will come back to that when I have more confidence on what I am doing.

once again -  thank you for you help and assistance

Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

With ReadyCloud you need cloud user accounts.  Unfortunately they can't be tied to an existing user account on the NAS, so you end up w/o access to the home folders.  In my opinion a regrettable oversight on Netgear's part.

I use ES File Explorer on my galaxy, and have the NAS/router set up for ftps.  That avoids the need to use ReadyCloud to access from my phone.

Message 12 of 13
rodcrit
Luminary

OK  -  disastrous day today....   somehow removed my admin login to the unit this morning   -  could not access the system to do anything.   Eventually did factory reset and went back to square one.  

have rebuilt system more or less, although the network access to the unit seems to have changed  ...  cannot do what I did before on folders.   anyway  seem to have got things more or less working again.

so back to last conversation....   assuming I accept that I cannot access private folders over cloud login from remote, how do I set up a cloud user.   have gone to readycloud  and got to the manage screen  ---  there I can delete any existing users  -  but does not tell me how to set up new cloud users.

if I go to admin page / cloud and try to add a user, it says go to readycloud to add user...  but... etc see above.

now am getting tired.... and my head hurts.   sorry to be a nuisance.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements